Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
JW

Post by JW »

These are looking pretty good.
Inigo Montoya

Post by Inigo Montoya »

These are very nice, especially the Shadow Demon. The only real problem I can see is that the Hell Hound looks more like a cat than a dog, the posture is weird. Either the head should be higher, or the back is too arched.
I don't exist when you don't see me...
I don't exist when you're not here.

You bought a mask - I put it on.
You never thought to ask me if I wear it when you're gone.
battlestar

Post by battlestar »

Good point I'll try it.
Konrad II

Post by Konrad II »

Inigo Montoya wrote:These are very nice, especially the Shadow Demon. The only real problem I can see is that the Hell Hound looks more like a cat than a dog, the posture is weird. Either the head should be higher, or the back is too arched.

The tail of it looks weird to me too.
But it definitely looks like a cat to me, besides the head :)
izgaul

Post by izgaul »

dogs evolved from cats! and some dogs do look like cats, take the chiwuawa :) besides from that, does look like a puppy-hound to me, good enough for a level 1 unit.

My comment, cool graphics dude! I loved the jinn + ifriit's gem and the demon knight's shading, the level 3 unit's armor is really cool, though i'd modify the legs a bit, they look unnaturally bent
battlestar

Post by battlestar »

btw, dogs evolved from wolves not cats.
They had a common ancestor somewhere among the early mammals, but there should not be any actual animal that is intermediate between a dog and a cat.
Old version of shadow demon is now the dark matriarck.
Attachments
shadow demon.png
shadow demon.png (7.44 KiB) Viewed 6560 times
hellhound.png
hellhound.png (7.4 KiB) Viewed 6560 times
battlestar

Post by battlestar »

New: magical servant, inferno flare
old, for comparison: jinn, ifrit
servant->jinn->ifrit->flare
Attachments
inferno flare.png
inferno flare.png (10.74 KiB) Viewed 6494 times
ifrit.png
ifrit.png (6.48 KiB) Viewed 6494 times
jinn.png
jinn.png (6.07 KiB) Viewed 6497 times
magic servant.png
magic servant.png (5.9 KiB) Viewed 6502 times
Konrad II

Post by Konrad II »

The servant's head looks really weird to me, looks like some kind of mutant baby head(I know, I'm imaginative :P)
Rest is she-weet :o
battlestar

Post by battlestar »

I'll try shorten it and see if that's any better, this is a unit test drive on real terrains. I wish it could be better picture quality. Anything that looks off?
Attachments
wesnoth unit test.JPG
wesnoth unit test.JPG (145.21 KiB) Viewed 6323 times
Lugo Moll

Post by Lugo Moll »

I think it looks nice. Really Heroes of Might and Magic - inspired, but that's a good thing. Although, I find it annoying that the heads of the deamon and erfreet lines looks kind like baby heads.

Btw, doesn't it spell "djinn",not "jinn"?
"Oh, what sad times are these when passing ruffians can say Ni at will to old ladies."
-Roger the shrubber
battlestar

Post by battlestar »

I can add hair to blade demon 2+lvl, I'll modify magic servant's head, modify sultan hats, brighten the demon feet.

There are different spellings for jinn,djinn,djini,djinni,jinni,Genie, all mean the same thing.
battlestar

Post by battlestar »

apples to apples
Attachments
demon.png
demon.png (4.23 KiB) Viewed 6187 times
blade demon.png
blade demon.png (4.93 KiB) Viewed 6183 times
jinn.png
jinn.png (6.08 KiB) Viewed 6191 times
magic servant.png
magic servant.png (5.86 KiB) Viewed 6188 times
Sangel
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Sangel »

Excellent stuff. My concerns about the skin colour of the "demon" line have proved unfounded in the screenshot of what they look like in action. Here are my thoughts on where you could make improvements:

*The turbans worn by the djinn line still look flat. It might help to examine a picture of a man wearing a turban, or at least some of the wesnoth headgear.
*The L1 hound has a darker and more evil shading style than the L2 multi-headed hound. Perhaps applying the same techniques to the L2 unit would be a good idea?
*The darkness surrounding your shadow demons is excellent, but their faces look a little "dumb" - I'd like to see something more sinister
*Where possible, it's useful to differentiate between different levels with stance. It would be nice if the Blade Demon had a different stance from the Demon - perhaps a more exaggerated form of the current stance, with the legs further apart and centre of gravity lower.
*Some of the outlining work in a few images still needs touching up - certain "hard" black outlines could do with a little softening. Examples: The hands of the magic servant, shoulders of the inferno flare. No need to go overboard; just a slight softening would do.

While this may seem like a big block of criticism, I do have to note that you're getting very good. Your L1 Hellhound, for instance, is possibly the finest piece of shading work I've seen done for Wesnoth. You've clearly got the talent, and it's great to see you hone it.
"Pure logic is the ruin of the spirit." - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
battlestar

Post by battlestar »

Well the whole point of me posting the images is to get replies like that. I'm happy that you made those suggestions. 8)

I tried to draw a turban last night, it turned out not looking like one, i'll try again later lol. I'll do the stance change later too.

Softened edges of the two units you mentioned, it's a tiny change so I won't post them again.

Cerberus just got way darker, and the shadow demon got bigger eyes.
Attachments
cerberus.png
cerberus.png (8.58 KiB) Viewed 6163 times
For comparison of cerberus
For comparison of cerberus
hellhound.png (7.4 KiB) Viewed 6167 times
dark patriarch.png
dark patriarch.png (9.21 KiB) Viewed 6168 times
shadow demon.png
shadow demon.png (7.46 KiB) Viewed 6158 times
battlestar

Post by battlestar »

It's been a while for spriting, but this is the first time doing it completely from blank paper. Here's a lvl1 fiend, suggestions welcome.
Attachments
for reference, lvl1 demon
for reference, lvl1 demon
demon.png (4.23 KiB) Viewed 5967 times
fiend.png
fiend.png (5.18 KiB) Viewed 5957 times