Sprites for Talamh

Make art for user-made content.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Developers

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Fiach Dubh

Sprites for Talamh

Post by Fiach Dubh » December 22nd, 2006, 5:13 am

I finally did some meaningful work on the sprites for my Talamh era/setting, I thought I'd post them here and see if anyone has any thoughts.

So far, I only have the Azaysu faction - a race of highly-telepathic 'little grey men' who have (unintentionally) invaded Talamh after being forced to flee their homeland (on the other side of the world, literally - Talamh is flat). They do not have either magic or conventional technology, but use their amazing mental powers to substitute for both.

They're all recoloured Frankenstein jobs, but I think most of them are reasonably well-disguised (with the exception of the Psientist, who is likely to be replaced if I or anybody else comes up with something better)

In theory, the eyes are supposed to be team-coloured, I'm not sure if I used the right colour though (pure magenta - red 255, green 0, blue 255)

Any and all feedback is welcome!
Attachments
azaysu-unit-tree.jpg
azaysu-unit-tree.jpg (40.93 KiB) Viewed 3711 times
Last edited by Fiach Dubh on December 23rd, 2006, 11:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jetryl wrote:Normal people are like candy ravers. You look away for a moment and next thing you know they're spreading vaseline on your nipples and cooing like a pigeon.

TheLost1

Post by TheLost1 » December 22nd, 2006, 7:07 am

I actually happen to have a whole set of psychic-looking pics, some are actually good!
The dragons are all colour-coded,
Some consider this system outmoded.
This was not preordained
Gary Gygax explained,
"My box of Crayolas exploded."

Oreb

Post by Oreb » December 22nd, 2006, 9:55 am

Having not actually read about this era, so far, these units, are good frankensteins, are good ideas as well. But, having two units be branching like this is not what I like. Also, they have that alien feel, I don't know if thats what you want or not though.
I am Oreb, Lord of the Darthien
Give your comments to the World of Orbivm

Blarumyrran
Art Contributor

Post by Blarumyrran » December 22nd, 2006, 10:22 am

yes
Last edited by Blarumyrran on September 6th, 2013, 12:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sabata

Post by Sabata » December 22nd, 2006, 12:46 pm

Not bad, i like them.

Typhon

Post by Typhon » December 22nd, 2006, 1:52 pm

Hmmmm, These guys kinda seem to be a blend of mind flayers, and doplegangers, which is good, because those are two of my favorite monster.=D

I just sketched out a ruff draft of what I think they could look like. I'll post it soon.

BTW~ Do any of them have shape-shifting abilities such as a doplegangers? Or mind eating abilities(maybe ranged drain?) like a mind flayer?

Gus

Re: Sprites for Talamh

Post by Gus » December 22nd, 2006, 2:06 pm

Fiach Dubh wrote:So far, I only have the Azaysu faction - a race of highly-telepathic 'little grey men' who have (unintentionally) invaded Talamh after being forced to flee their home dimension.
Oreb wrote:Also, they have that alien feel, I don't know if thats what you want or not though.
;)

The sprites are cool.
Hard work may pay off in the long run, but laziness always pays off right away.

Fiach Dubh

Post by Fiach Dubh » December 22nd, 2006, 4:41 pm

Syntax_Error wrote:outcast and misfit should be more different, tho. Outcast sword looks too wide, the green radiation looks like its the sword. Misfit and Outcast hold the sword in a weird way, the sword should be 90 degrees from his hand
Yeah, they look the same at the moment because I couldn't immediately find another body that I liked to use as a base, I will probably change it though or at least change the colours more dramatically.

Now I look at it, you're right about the Outcast's sword, they are actually all the same size but that one is brighter so it's more noticeable. I'll fix that. As for the pose, I actually think that the angle of the sword is good, but he's holding it too high, with the elbow too sharply bent - the arm should be straighter, with the sword running from just below the hip to just above the ground. And you're right, the right hand is at the wrong angle to hold a sword like that, I didn't realise how noticeable it was before.

Typhon - the fighter line and Psychomancer have a ranged drain attack. They can't shapeshift, but higher levels might be able to project an illusion of a different appearance.

EDIT: Did a bit more work with them:
* New, less recognisable Psientist
* Gave the Psychomancer a faint blue aura
* Gave the Mindslaver a staff
* New Outcast
Attachments
modified-azaysu.jpg
modified-azaysu.jpg (5.81 KiB) Viewed 3550 times
Jetryl wrote:Normal people are like candy ravers. You look away for a moment and next thing you know they're spreading vaseline on your nipples and cooing like a pigeon.

Eternal
Art Contributor

Post by Eternal » December 22nd, 2006, 4:46 pm

My favs: Kineticist and Pariah. They look cool. :)
Pariahs sword is misangled though... it's not pointing upwards enough from the way his arm is holding it. Either by redoing the sword or tweaking the hand a little it'll be fixed.

Psychomancers and Mindslavers robes need something more to them. Maybe bling. Now they look kinda plain. (especially the Psychomancer, he's supposed to have leadership and leaders always have lot's of shiny stuff on 'em :wink:)

Overall great work! :D
I wish I had more time in my hands.

Skizzaltix

Post by Skizzaltix » December 22nd, 2006, 7:28 pm

I can't really say anything about your art, I don't see any problems, but maybe change the name of the Kinetiscist to Telekinetic or something like that? Without the tele- bit it means (To me at least) someone who throws large boulders or globs of mud around. It's your choice though.
This faction looks real interesting!

EDIT:
Having read through this reply I realised it sounds a little rude. Just to clarify, when I tell someone I have nothing to say about their art it means I can think of no faults and am jealous.

commanderkeen

Post by commanderkeen » December 23rd, 2006, 2:01 am

Cooooooool.... 8)

Just as well Typhon is doing the portraits, because I'm better at boring old loyalist-medieval guys.

Just one thing: Are you going to add more level 1's to this faction, or are the leftmost ones level 0's? Because I think a few more level 1's could be in order. These two level 1's are definetly enough to be alright if they can level up fast, but two level ones could restrict the user's strategy (unless they can recruit level two's... no.)

These existing units are so original and amazing. They aren't like the majority of factions that are really bits of mainline mixed up. Though the Misfits and outcasts remind me of Jedi, but the human mind always strives to compare things to existing material.

Fiach Dubh

Post by Fiach Dubh » December 23rd, 2006, 2:21 am

The leftmost units in the tree are level 1 and no more level-1 units are likely to be added. Both level-up reasonably fast (about average, actually - most Azaysu are peaceful by nature, but they're highly intelligent so they learn fast)

To be specific, the Mentalist needs 5XPs to level up.

Yes, 5. There's no missing digit, but there is a slight catch: its' only attack causes no damage, so it can't kill anyone (it does automatically slow them, though) - the only way it can gain experience is by surviving fights.

The Misfit line is more normal, since they can kill. XP requirement isn't fixed yet, but likely to be somewhere around 18.

And they're meant to be J*di-like - that was the only obvious reference I could find for a psychic 'warrior monk', which is basically what they are.

Thank you for your enthusiasm, by the way! And Skizzaltix - you really shouldn't be jealous, these are all Frankensteined from a very small number of mainline units - all I did was bolt them together and recolour them in Paint, no part of any of them was drawn by me (except the single-colour auras around the swords and the Psychomancer and Kineticist)
Attachments
Fixed the weird-looking hood
Fixed the weird-looking hood
savant.png (2.33 KiB) Viewed 3458 times
Last edited by Fiach Dubh on December 23rd, 2006, 3:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Skizzaltix

Post by Skizzaltix » December 23rd, 2006, 2:46 am

Try downloading the GIMP. It takes up a fair amount of hard drive space and if you've got a Mac you need X11, but it's nice because you can do shadows easily and have them look nice--Just paint a black blotch at 60% opacity with a pencil tool and then select it and do Filters -> Blur -> Guassian Blur. Of course, if yo don't want to get it you don't need to, but I like open source so I always mention it.

I'm jealous of anybody who can make something look good :)[/url]

Fiach Dubh

Post by Fiach Dubh » December 23rd, 2006, 3:09 am

I already downloaded GIMP, but my free trial of WinZip ran out last week and for some reason I can't install the new version. Personally, despite general consensus, I like Paint for spriting, at least for fixing up Frankensteins - it's just so simple to use! I do use MS Photo Editor for transparencies though.

Skizzaltix

Post by Skizzaltix » December 23rd, 2006, 3:19 am

Yes, I've never used Paint before but I have heard it's simple, and simplicity is a Good Thing.
Hm, maybe there's another .zip unarchiver around? I've never had to download one, so I don't know...