Scary new unit

Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
JW

Scary new unit

Post by JW »

Okay, I was hesitant to post this because it isn't shaded at all...but I've been working on it for 2 days and wanted to showcase what I've been up to, and get some feedback on it. Right now it is only an outline of the creature I wanted, and I'll start working on the shading tonight.

There are some points I still need to work on, like his secondary right arm - it doesn't quite look right yet.

Forget about the pink, it's just an early Valentine's day gift to you all.
Attachments
creature-showcase.png
creature-showcase.png (1.17 KiB) Viewed 5405 times
Boucman
Inactive Developer

Post by Boucman »

it's facing straight to the player, all units (except the ogre IIRC) face sideward... is this on purpose ?

apart from that, I like the line art
Fight key loggers: write some perl using vim
JW

Post by JW »

Boucman wrote:it's facing straight to the player, all units (except the ogre IIRC) face sideward... is this on purpose ?

Fudge...he is looking diagonally, but his hips are facing straight...you're right.

That'll probably take another day to fix, as I work slowly. :P
Flametrooper

Post by Flametrooper »

I'm sorry, but it does just beg the question...

WTF?

There, I said it.
hey.
JW

Post by JW »

Flametrooper wrote:I'm sorry, but it does just beg the question...

WTF?

There, I said it.
Why exactly does it beg that question? Perhaps you want to enunciate exactly what it is that's confusing to you?

Say what you mean, and do so constructively please. If you want to just post random inane comments I'll have a moderator delete your posts. I don't want them.
Cuyo Quiz

Post by Cuyo Quiz »

JW wrote:
Boucman wrote:it's facing straight to the player, all units (except the ogre IIRC) face sideward... is this on purpose ?

Fudge...he is looking diagonally, but his hips are facing straight...you're right.

That'll probably take another day to fix, as I work slowly. :P
The real matter is...

does that thing even HAS a FRONT?!.
Cuyo Quiz,where madness meets me :D
Turn on, tune in, fall out.
"I know that, but every single person nags about how negative turin is; it should be in the FPI thread "Turin should give positive comments" =)"-Neorice,23 Sep 2004
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

JW wrote:
Flametrooper wrote:I'm sorry, but it does just beg the question...

WTF?

There, I said it.
Why exactly does it beg that question? Perhaps you want to enunciate exactly what it is that's confusing to you?

Say what you mean, and do so constructively please. If you want to just post random inane comments I'll have a moderator delete your posts. I don't want them.
Well, it seems to me that Flametrooper (and BTW, I share his sentiment) is asking - what the hell is this supposed to be? He can't very well say whether it succeeds at being "it" until he knows what "it" is.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Fiach Dubh

Post by Fiach Dubh »

I don't know what it is, but it looks cool!
This is for EoM's Aberrations, I take it?
Jetryl wrote:Normal people are like candy ravers. You look away for a moment and next thing you know they're spreading vaseline on your nipples and cooing like a pigeon.
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

The head looks kind of like one of those Aliens creatures. It's obviously an aberration.

And those giant varicose veins are hideous. It is scary indeed... *shudders*
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/User:Sapient... "Looks like your skills saved us again. Uh, well at least, they saved Soarin's apple pie."
Ryorin

Post by Ryorin »

Pretty nice, all I can say is to round off the feet and give the hand (touching the ground) a bit of perspective. Aside from that, very nice so far.
Fiach Dubh

Post by Fiach Dubh »

Sapient wrote:The head looks kind of like one of those Aliens creatures
That was my first thought too.
Ryorin wrote:give the hand (touching the ground) a bit of perspective.
I thought that was another leg...if it's an arm, it looks WAY too long (unless it's attached in a different place, which, for an 'Aberration', is always possible)
Whatever it is, it looks like it should be deadly in melee, and mobile in bad terrain. Any stat ideas for this yet, JW?
Jetryl wrote:Normal people are like candy ravers. You look away for a moment and next thing you know they're spreading vaseline on your nipples and cooing like a pigeon.
Flametrooper

Post by Flametrooper »

Yes, I was asking what it is. Sorry. From now on, every post I make will be carefully spelled out, with no sarcasm, criticism, humor, simile, metaphor, analogy, or words longer than "chicken", just to make sure everyone understands me perfectly.

Hello, JW. I would like to know the reason for your sprite. What unit is it for? What are some properties of this unit? What sort of creature is it supposed to be? Thank you for your time.
Fiach Dubh

Post by Fiach Dubh »

Just a thought...I played around with it a bit while I was waiting for the kettle to boil, don't know if anyone will like it or not.
I'm not sure about this colouring, I think it might look better either midnight-blue, or near-white.

EDIT: Did it in dark blue and light purple too. The shadow looks too big, but I'm not sure what size it ought to be.
Attachments
creature_showcase_131_edit-dark.png
creature_showcase_131_edit-dark.png (6.37 KiB) Viewed 5257 times
creature_showcase_131_edit-purple.png
creature_showcase_131_edit-purple.png (7.47 KiB) Viewed 5257 times
creature_showcase_131_edit.png
creature_showcase_131_edit.png (7.01 KiB) Viewed 5264 times
JW

Post by JW »

Flametrooper wrote:Yes, I was asking what it is. Sorry. From now on, every post I make will be carefully spelled out, with no sarcasm, criticism, humor, simile, metaphor, analogy, or words longer than "chicken", just to make sure everyone understands me perfectly.

Hello, JW. I would like to know the reason for your sprite. What unit is it for? What are some properties of this unit? What sort of creature is it supposed to be? Thank you for your time.
Yo, I was filled with adrenaline before the Bears game and had put a crapton of time into this small piece of art for many hours over 2 days, so I kinda took it a little personally when you just flat out questioned me like that - especially since I was expecting a positive response on my tremendously hard work.

I definitely took the comment personally, which was stupid, but hey, I'm stupid at art, so it fits.

Feel free to not listen to me and to comment however you like. I have been known to overreact sometimes. 8)

Anyway, it's just an alien-like creature I came up with. I don't really know where it would fit, if it would go in a faction at all....I was, and am, just really trying to hone my spritework so I can make good stuff like Neo, Jet, and Eternal. Oh, and Zhukov and others too.

Anyway, I'm going to maybe start redoing the legs tomorrow...tomorrow is kinda busy for me, unlike these last 2 days. :)

lol SORRY IF I KINDA SNAPPED!!! :shock: :D :wink:
JW

Post by JW »

lol, again, sorry, I get emotional on game day. 8)

ps, Bears win. 8)