Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
khamul

Post by khamul »

Like the unit, FWIW.
One suggestion: shoulders.

The two 'lesser' arms at the back don't seem to be attached to the body in any kind of articulated way, but there are suitable 'humps' in the thing's back that could be articulation points.

Those arms are going to be a lot more effective if they're hooked into the skelature, rather than just hanging off the skin.
If life gives you Lions, Make Lionade.
JW

Post by JW »

Just to post a slight improvement (IMO), I slid the primary left arm over a pixel and made the nexk area more slender, which also gave it the benefit of looking better I think, in addition to helping with the arm issue.

Also, I darkened (very slightly) parts of the primary right arm.

Basically, I'm just posting this to ask if this is a good enough fix for the arm or not? (But feel free to leave other comments as well. I am working on the notes Jet left me).
Attachments
maybe4.png
maybe4.png (1.98 KiB) Viewed 4847 times
zinder

Post by zinder »

Like the unit concept. I assume he has essentially two pairs of shoulders/arms with the upper ones as primary and well developed. And the lower ones as less developed secondary ones?

I think the problem with his upper left arm is, that to put it down he has to put the left shoulder forward and lower it. Now he also puts his head in front of that arm, but in that long, thick neck there is no bend to get around or over his left shoulder.

Have you tried keeping the head as is and flipping the body? That would make more of that arm visible and it would be a more easier to understand body stance, because then he looks in the same direction as the front of his body.
JW

Post by JW »

zinder wrote:Like the unit concept. I

Have you tried keeping the head as is and flipping the body?
Thank you. I haven't tried that and I doubt I will. I've done so much shading work that any change in the stance now would require me to duplicate much of it, which I don't intend to do.

In any case, I've continued to work on the shading, darkening parts and, admittedly, having some parts pillow shaded for now, simply to not look flat.

It will continue to improve, but who knows how quickly.
Attachments
alienC.png
alienC.png (2.32 KiB) Viewed 4717 times
Becephalus
Inactive Developer

Post by Becephalus »

nice creature JW. Part of me things it would just look better with 4 limbs. Perhaps this means you should rework the other two?

Bears 197 - Brarack Obama 72
Last edited by Becephalus on December 19th, 2006, 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
There are three roads to ruin: by gambling, which is the quickest; through women, which is the most pleasurable; and through taking the advice of experts, which is the most certain. -de Gaulle
wnsk

Post by wnsk »

Fiach Dubh wrote:Just a thought...I played around with it a bit while I was waiting for the kettle to boil, don't know if anyone will like it or not.
I'm not sure about this colouring, I think it might look better either midnight-blue, or near-white.

EDIT: Did it in dark blue and light purple too. The shadow looks too big, but I'm not sure what size it ought to be.
I like the bottom one (what colour? teal?); I think it really suits the creature -- brings concept of reptilian to mind =)

The other two look kinda off though.
JW

Post by JW »

Becephalus wrote:nice creature JW. Part of me things it would just look better with 4 limbs. Perhaps this means you should rework the other two?
In accordance with this request, I've removed the smaller 2 limbs, and it looks quite good! (beginning to AA also helps though (pixel-by-pixel!!) :wink: )

Thoughts?
Attachments
alienE.png
alienE.png (2.41 KiB) Viewed 4613 times
Krispos

Post by Krispos »

I like it, but the head is still a bit funky with out eyes.
John 3:16 (NIV)
"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life."
Professionals built the Titanic
Amateurs built the Ark
Skizzaltix

Post by Skizzaltix »

Nice work! I sure wouldn't want to meet one of those in a dark alley...
I think you should leave it white/very pale... it just looks good that way to me.

I can't really tell if this is an issue, but is it being viewed from the same angle as other Wesnoth units? it almost looks like it's being viewed from the front...
Also, the right arm looks like it's shorter than the left. i don't know whether this is my tired eyes or your art, though :)
Fiach Dubh

Post by Fiach Dubh »

I actually liked it better with four arms, though the old secondary pair didn't quite look natural.
I also agree with whoever it was that suggested flipping the body and keeping the head the same (I know you won't do it, though, because it would mean re-doing all the shading)
Jetryl wrote:Normal people are like candy ravers. You look away for a moment and next thing you know they're spreading vaseline on your nipples and cooing like a pigeon.