Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Maeglin Dubh
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Maeglin Dubh »

Here's the Palette!

Thanks a lot, JW, this is a great kick-start.
Attachments
Chopped Palette.png
Chopped Palette.png (25.67 KiB) Viewed 8091 times
Cuyo Quiz wrote:I really should push for Temuchin's brainstorming with all my might someday, when the skies are cloudy, the winds dance and the light is free to roam over the soil along the fog.
Thumper

Post by Thumper »

Yay. I love this.

- Chris
Attachments
franken.png
franken.png (15.87 KiB) Viewed 8064 times
Maeglin Dubh
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Maeglin Dubh »

It lives! It lives! *maniacal laughter*
Cuyo Quiz wrote:I really should push for Temuchin's brainstorming with all my might someday, when the skies are cloudy, the winds dance and the light is free to roam over the soil along the fog.
Oreb

Post by Oreb »

Some of these units are meant to live. In the original Franken Pack, the units all had their weapons separate. Maybe the units could have their hands chopped off from the arms, so it includes now, Head, torso, legs, arms, hand+weapons. But that might be a problem for the units that have no arms, well no arms that are visible.
I am Oreb, Lord of the Darthien
Give your comments to the World of Orbivm
Redeth
Art Contributor

Post by Redeth »

There you go... poacher, trapper, thief, rogue, thug, bandit, halbardier, royal guard, spearman, swordsman, longbowman, master bowman and general, added.

I had to do some cleaning up and heavy editing in many parts to make them look complete and therefore more useful (so there is at least some new material here for frankensteiners to work with).
Attachments
chopped_palette2.png
chopped_palette2.png (76.68 KiB) Viewed 8022 times
- Rojo Capo Rey de Copas -
Maeglin Dubh
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Maeglin Dubh »

That is beautiful....

Is that all the humans? (At least all level ones?)
traverser

Post by traverser »

maybe horses and other mounts now? I'll give it a go
entropomorphic

RLTiles

Post by entropomorphic »

I'd like to point people to the player graphics in the graphical version of Linley's Dungeon Crawl for inspiration on this project: http://rltiles.sourceforge.net/dc-pl.html

The program creates player sprites by adding these tiles together, paper-doll style. Auto-Frankenstein. I know this wouldn't work with Wesnoth, what with all the varied unit poses, but at very least it's inspiration and/or source material. These and many other graphics are available at in the excellent public-domain RLTiles package.
Redeth
Art Contributor

Post by Redeth »

Maeglin Dubh wrote:That is beautiful....

Is that all the humans? (At least all level ones?)
Most of them.

Note that in order to achieve a better result, these small basic body parts should be further divided and edited once they get together, just like Francisco says in his tutorial, until it becomes hard to tell where each individual piece of your 'creation' came from.

Check this guy out... his father was a respected general, his mother a skillful fencer, he refused to live in the comfort of his family castle and went to the wild to seek for fame and adventure, just like his uncle the infamous rogue did years ago... He was soon to be kidnapped by a band of outlaws, taught in the ways of the bow and the woods, and ultimately became their powerful leader. I'd say he's got some identity issues :wink:
Attachments
franken-sample.png
franken-sample.png (3.34 KiB) Viewed 7999 times
commanderkeen

Post by commanderkeen »

It would be good if there was a program which took the options you specified and made an animated sprite for you. It wouldn't work very well, but give it the ability to recolour existing units and *wham* you get a way to make a brown mage or a fencer who uses staffs.
Darth Fool
Retired Developer

Post by Darth Fool »

commanderkeen wrote:It would be good if there was a program which took the options you specified and made an animated sprite for you. It wouldn't work very well, but give it the ability to recolour existing units and *wham* you get a way to make a brown mage or a fencer who uses staffs.
I agree completely. It would be good. We eagerly await your program that implements this.
Maeglin Dubh
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Maeglin Dubh »

Err, I still can't make anything due to layering and transparency issues... But at least other people can. So the project is a success, so far.
commanderkeen

Post by commanderkeen »

Darth Fool wrote:
commanderkeen wrote:It would be good if there was a program which took the options you specified and made an animated sprite for you. It wouldn't work very well, but give it the ability to recolour existing units and *wham* you get a way to make a brown mage or a fencer who uses staffs.
I agree completely. It would be good. We eagerly await your program that implements this.
You find me a way to support png files in Visual Basic, (or their basic file specification), and I'll do it in a flash :P
I could try it. Might be fun. I could make a full unit production suite.
The only problem would be the way units move aren't always the same.

Watch out for Wesnothsoft Office 2006 Professional edition, with Wesnothsoft Uniter, Wesnothsoft Animator, Wesnothsoft Balancer and More! (Only $999.99 + p&p and GST. Conditions apply.)
Maeglin Dubh
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Maeglin Dubh »

Thanks to JW and Redeth, the Human Franken-Pack is now complete. Well, I consider it a 0.7 Release. Not every single human unit, but enough for it to be useful.

Stage II
Elven Franken-Pack

I'll try to actually split a few units for this one, if you guys don't beat me to it... Not that I mind.

Priority is level one units. Once those are complete, others can be added at leisure.
Redeth
Art Contributor

Post by Redeth »

Maeglin Dubh wrote:Thanks to JW and Redeth, the Human Franken-Pack is now complete. Well, I consider it a 0.7 Release. Not every single human unit, but enough for it to be useful.
Peasant, Lieutenant, Master at Arms, Lancer, Dragoon, Knight, Cavalier and Grand Knight, added. New avatar heavily based on frankensteining techniques to celebrate.
Maeglin Dubh wrote:Stage II
Elven Franken-Pack

I'll try to actually split a few units for this one, if you guys don't beat me to it... Not that I mind.
Nope, go ahead, I'll just focus on finishing the humans first.
Attachments
human-franken-pack.png
human-franken-pack.png (77.03 KiB) Viewed 8349 times