Franken-Pack

Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Darth Fool
Retired Developer

Post by Darth Fool »

I do think that it would be a great enhancement for those of us who are artistically challenged to have such a pack. It could help campaing makers create hero units that at least wouldn't suck completely while they wait for their amazing campaign to attract some real sprite artists lovin'. I would definitely want to put it some place where people can add to it. I was thinking at first SVN, but since it is not really used in game, and since we would want people other then just devs to add things to the body parts, it is not really fitting. Perhaps at the bottom of fmunoz's wiki page on how to frankenstein would be a good place:
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/Give_Your_H ... ersonality

I would not replace his current work, as that is really part of the tutorial, just add a new image at the bottom with a suitable label like "Frankenparts: Feel free to add to the below parts with the following constraint. All parts must be GPL compatable."
Eleazar
Retired Terrain Art Director

Post by Eleazar »

I've made a collection of 150+ decent portraits that iv'e gathered from the forums and campaigns. They can be used for comparing style or frankenstining your own portraits. They are organzied by race, to make sorting easier. There is quite a bit of good stuff that didn't get used. After all, you can only have 1 Konrad.

If i included new stuff done since this spring it would probably weigh 10 MB.
Is that kind of size a problem?
Feel free to PM me if you start a new terrain oriented thread. It's easy for me to miss them among all the other art threads.
-> What i might be working on
Attempting Lucidity
Maeglin Dubh
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Maeglin Dubh »

I meant units, not portraits, but I have hosting space available. If you email me the file, I'll put it up on my googlepages site.
Cuyo Quiz wrote:I really should push for Temuchin's brainstorming with all my might someday, when the skies are cloudy, the winds dance and the light is free to roam over the soil along the fog.
Ranger M
Art Contributor

Post by Ranger M »

Even though he did mean sprites, could you post these anyway, it would be interesting to see what has come up over the years.
Eleazar

Post by Eleazar »

Ranger M wrote:Even though he did mean sprites, could you post these anyway, it would be interesting to see what has come up over the years.
Ok, for now, you can find them here.
I'm not sure how much traffic these will generate, and thus i might not leave them up long term. It's an 8.4 MB zip archive.

I haven't included everything— some that i judged too badly done, or too stylisticly different. Also i'm sure i missed some.
Feel free to PM me if you start a new terrain oriented thread. It's easy for me to miss them among all the other art threads.
Attempting Lucidity
Oreb

Post by Oreb »

These would still prove very useful.
I am Oreb, Lord of the Darthien
Give your comments to the World of Orbivm
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Eleazar wrote:
Ranger M wrote:Even though he did mean sprites, could you post these anyway, it would be interesting to see what has come up over the years.
Ok, for now, you can find them here.
I'm not sure how much traffic these will generate, and thus i might not leave them up long term. It's an 8.4 MB zip archive.

I haven't included everything— some that i judged too badly done, or too stylisticly different. Also i'm sure i missed some.
Very interesting. I'm glad I recognize all of those; sans some of the screwy hacks (combining pickslide and lutes is ... interesting. Surprisingly good, actually, but still ... 'interesting'*).

I gotta stay on my toes, after all.

* don't ask me whether this means "in a good" or "bad way", I myself don't know.
Maeglin Dubh
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Maeglin Dubh »

Ok, so you all seem to agree that it -is- a good idea. So, how might we go about collecting the necessary items? In this thread? Set up a Wiki page for it?
Cuyo Quiz wrote:I really should push for Temuchin's brainstorming with all my might someday, when the skies are cloudy, the winds dance and the light is free to roam over the soil along the fog.
West
Retired Lord of Music

Post by West »

I agree that this sounds good. I'm not sure I could easily pixel units in the Wesnoth style, if I should ever get in the mood of trying it, so having these little bodyparts handy would be very helpful. Unless editing existing units or parts beyond recognizability is considered bad practice of course.
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Maeglin Dubh wrote:Ok, so you all seem to agree that it -is- a good idea. So, how might we go about collecting the necessary items? In this thread? Set up a Wiki page for it?
In this thread, and add them to a single image which gets linked at the bottom of that page francisco wrote.

Do not sticky this thread, we have enough of those already, but do link to this thread as well as the image on that tutorial fmunoz wrote.
West wrote:Unless editing existing units or parts beyond recognizability is considered bad practice of course.
If it was, no one would be getting much done. Many of our units derive from each other.
Boucman
Inactive Developer

Post by Boucman »

again, the GraphicLibrary is probably your best starting point
Fight key loggers: write some perl using vim
Eleazar

Post by Eleazar »

Who has the access rights to make new catagories in the graphics library?
are sub-catagories possible?
Attempting Lucidity
Boucman
Inactive Developer

Post by Boucman »

allefant is the one that implemented grabberbot

I do minimal sorting (removing copyrighted stuff, removing graphics with big red arrows, things like that)

any other filtering would have to be done by hand and that's a huge job I am not ready to undertake.

if you want to do something more subtil I would advise asking allefant
Fight key loggers: write some perl using vim
Maeglin Dubh
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Maeglin Dubh »

Found the example I was looking for.

If people post the bits and pieces here, I'll organize and put them in a palette formation.

Example.
Maeglin Dubh
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Maeglin Dubh »

No submissions yet? Nobody has any leftover parts for the Franken-Pack?