Windsong Sprites

Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Zhukov wrote::D I love it when new people show promise. This stuff is good.

PS. Ditto what Dubh said.
PPS. Ditto what Zhukov said.
megane
Art Contributor

Post by megane »

Anti-aliased, as per Sangel's suggestion, along with a TC fix I didn't know I needed.

I'll probably make a new unit tomorrow... unless my will fails and I decide my homework can wait, in which case probably tonight, eh heh heh... Any suggestions as to which of the three remaining ones I should do first? Hopefully I can manage to get these five done, at which point I'll can actually, say, learn WML and do something useful with them.

Thanks for your input everyone, I feel smart now o-o
Attachments
scribe.png
scribe.png (1.45 KiB) Viewed 4903 times
seeker.png
seeker.png (2.25 KiB) Viewed 4903 times
scribeandseeker.png
scribeandseeker.png (64.14 KiB) Viewed 4903 times
that little girl's parents were attacked by ninjas - generic npc
hee hee! - little girl
Neoriceisgood
Art Developer

Post by Neoriceisgood »

Neo says: Do gatekeeper

and good job so far, looking real nice :D
Signature dropped due to use of img tag
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Yeah, your stuff looks very promising, good work. :) When you're finished (even somewhat) with these guys you're making, I'm sure many people (including me) would have many suggestions on many campaigns and eras you could contribute for. :P
Maeglin Dubh wrote:If you post here, I ask that an art mod delete the post immediately.
You wouldn't even need to ask.
Oreb

Post by Oreb »

Nice! Very promising. Welcome to the forums.

And it seems you have already got on the good side of some certain people.
I am Oreb, Lord of the Darthien
Give your comments to the World of Orbivm
Maeglin Dubh
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Maeglin Dubh »

Getting people to like you is important. Fortunately, being good at what you do makes people like you. So, it all works. In a twisted way.

You do very nice work. Are you planning on making an entire faction, or is this just practice for you?
Cuyo Quiz wrote:I really should push for Temuchin's brainstorming with all my might someday, when the skies are cloudy, the winds dance and the light is free to roam over the soil along the fog.
Dragon Master

Post by Dragon Master »

I hate advertising stuff (even mine), but if you don't plan on making a whole faction out of these guys, I could use help with my Holy Knights if your interested. (Yes I'm still working on them)
Cuyo Quiz

Post by Cuyo Quiz »

Nice. I like how the second one keeps a clearly dinamic pose, which is something you don't normally see in units. Now for the complimentary awesomeness...

*handles e-cookie*

Welcome to our forums. Stay PG-13. Important people have titles showing their importance, and regulars are just regulars. Resting area is in the Off-Topic forum, no smoking or guns allowed. For more focused banter, please direct yourself to Ideas or Users.

Also, we fawn nice art. The collective concious asks for more.
Cuyo Quiz,where madness meets me :D
Turn on, tune in, fall out.
"I know that, but every single person nags about how negative turin is; it should be in the FPI thread "Turin should give positive comments" =)"-Neorice,23 Sep 2004
megane
Art Contributor

Post by megane »

Cuyo Quiz wrote:...no smoking or guns allowed.
I knew there was a catch. <eats cookie suspiciously>

I'll start working on the Gatekeeper; maybe I'll actually learn how to draw armor. It'd be cool to make this an entire faction, but I have all the determination and focus of an 8 year old lobotomy patient on a sugar rush, so that may take a while.

As for other people's factions, I'm easily distracted: show me shiny things and food and I'll do pretty much anything, but I can't guarantee it'll look any good...

Oh yes, and you know how I totally didn't ever say that I fixed the Seeker's arms? Yeah, it's amazing how I completely failed to claim that previously and thus am in no way a hypocrite in claiming it now. >.>
Attachments
I'm not a perfectionist at all. Nope. Definitely not.
I'm not a perfectionist at all. Nope. Definitely not.
seeker.png (2.31 KiB) Viewed 4794 times
hee hee! - little girl
commander keen

Post by commander keen »

Great work!
I don't make sprite art for Wesnoth (or portraits either :( ) but I have to say, I'm amazed at the quality of these sprites.

Keep up the good work!
grzywacz
Inactive Developer

Post by grzywacz »

Hey, these are really nice! 8) Wesnoth in a Japanese theme would be awesome.
megane
Art Contributor

Post by megane »

Well, it took in the neighborhood of 10 complete redraws, but I finally finished the Gatekeeper. No freaky hairpin (kazashi?) on this one, since the Gatekeepers are more allies of the Windsong than members thereof, but I suppose one could be added if you think it'd look better.

As a unit, the Gatekeeper is essentially a defensive tank; low mobility, but high HP and great defense when in a town or castle. Impact damage via punching, I suppose.

Edit: Just noticed that the right edge of the cloak is really hard to see on this light background, but it's there, and you can see it in-game.
Attachments
Got the Fava beans and Chiante all ready.
Got the Fava beans and Chiante all ready.
gatekeeper.png (1.45 KiB) Viewed 4647 times
hee hee! - little girl
torangan
Retired Developer

Post by torangan »

If you're easy to distract - maybe you'd like to fill in a few gaps within the animations for existing units? Those are rather small projects which yield an immediate gain if they're good enough to go in...
WesCamp-i18n - Translations for User Campaigns:
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/WesCamp

Translators for all languages required: contact me. No geek skills required!
Boucman
Inactive Developer

Post by Boucman »

torangan wrote:If you're easy to distract - maybe you'd like to fill in a few gaps within the animations for existing units? Those are rather small projects which yield an immediate gain if they're good enough to go in...
seconded, there are all sorts of mainline units that would need a few animations (death animations, movement frames, attack animations etc...)

that would be really cool and probably the best way both to improve your sprite talent, learn to know the wesnoth art community better and contribute something usefull fast and easily
Fight key loggers: write some perl using vim
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

torangan wrote:If you're easy to distract - maybe you'd like to fill in a few gaps within the animations for existing units? Those are rather small projects which yield an immediate gain if they're good enough to go in...
If you help improve existing animations, then we'll be happy to go out of our way to teach you anything we know; at least in relation to doing those improvements.

On thing I can think of that desperately needs help is a north-facing (and also south, and NW) horseman. There's a graphics sheet here that provides a great start:
http://www.allacrost.org/staff/user/jetryl/horses.png

I'm busy finishing up the TC project right now, so any work towards that would be very welcome.