A sprite and a question

Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Flak

A sprite and a question

Post by Flak »

I'm making a sprite based on the human Thief (mainly because the build suits my purposes and I'm too lazy to draw something from complete scratch) for a character in a story of mine.

I've done a melee animation (I'm not basing every frame off the Thief) and animations for defense and evasion. I'm also planning to do a ranged attack, some sort of throwing knife... throw. Toss? XD

My question is such: is there a way to set it so that an attack uses alternating animations? I'd like to make it so that he tosses one knife with one hand, then one with the other on the next attack.

'pologies if I'm asking something stupid- I'm fairly new to all this.

Thanks!
There's nothing to tell...
In my eyes you're still a bot.
wayfarer
Art Contributor

Post by wayfarer »

Yep as I recall there is the option for different attacks but don't ask me how.
Noyga
Inactive Developer

Post by Noyga »

You can use several animations for one attack, only one would be selected (randomly i think, but i'm not sure, it might do what you want : cycle the animations).
"Ooh, man, my mage had a 30% chance to miss, but he still managed to hit! Awesome!" ;) -- xtifr
Flak

Post by Flak »

You can use several animations for one attack, only one would be selected (randomly i think, but i'm not sure, it might do what you want : cycle the animations).
In examining the .cfg file for the Thief, I noticed that for his evasion animation, there are three pairs of [animation][/animation] tags- I just do something like that for this guy's ranged attack?
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Flak wrote:In examining the .cfg file for the Thief, I noticed that for his evasion animation, there are three pairs of [animation][/animation] tags- I just do something like that for this guy's ranged attack?
Yep. If you have several matching animations, one will be chosen randomly every time.
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

What we don't have is the ability to force the animations to play in sequence; that is, to "always/only play animation2 after animation1".

I can randomly choose which one to play, and will use a bunch of different ones in a given fight, but you can't force it to follow a certain order.
Flak

Post by Flak »

I can randomly choose which one to play, and will use a bunch of different ones in a given fight, but you can't force it to follow a certain order.
Gotcha. But, as it's perfectly random, there's a 50-50 chance that, with four attacks, each of two animations will play twice, right? That's enough for me- if it doesn't alternate perfectly, it'll be fine. I'm just looking for *some* variation.

Thanks again, everyone.

If the animations don't come out looking like crap I'll post them in this thread. :D
traverser

Post by traverser »

try putting the pictures against a background, compare colors

Just another useless comment
Flak

Post by Flak »

I have, and it looks fine. Thanks though :D
Boucman
Inactive Developer

Post by Boucman »

Jetryl wrote:What we don't have is the ability to force the animations to play in sequence; that is, to "always/only play animation2 after animation1".

that's not exactly true...

more precisely, it's not true for attack animations, that can be filtered by the strike number in 1.3

this was implemented to have the berserker laugh madly before attacking a DA

sequence are much less important for other animations.
Fight key loggers: write some perl using vim
Zhukov
Art Contributor

Post by Zhukov »

Boucman wrote:this was implemented to have the berserker laugh madly before attacking a DA.
Pardon the useless comment, but that's just too cool for words.
Darth Fool
Retired Developer

Post by Darth Fool »

Zhukov wrote:
Boucman wrote:this was implemented to have the berserker laugh madly before attacking a DA.
Pardon the useless comment, but that's just too cool for words.
*Agrees*
Flak

Re: A sprite and a question

Post by Flak »

Image Image

First of three(?) planned throw animations. He currently has a 6-5 marksman throwing knife ranged attack - seemed fitting for a skilled ninja.

I did the above frames in the style of the new Orcish Slayer's throw attack- does it look ok? In game it's fine, but a lot of things look fine in game without actually being good...
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Darth Fool wrote:
Zhukov wrote: Pardon the useless comment, but that's just too cool for words.
*Agrees*
*Agrees*
Boucman
Inactive Developer

Post by Boucman »

1.1.3 will suprise you :P
Fight key loggers: write some perl using vim