skullman's units

Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
skullman

Post by skullman »

Im really newb to the art scene, but this guy looks ok :P
He just needs a little do up on the weapons but thats really really hard for me.
Attachments
Frankenstien2.png
Frankenstien2.png (4.32 KiB) Viewed 3166 times
Frankenstien.png
Frankenstien.png (3.92 KiB) Viewed 3165 times
Frankenstien3.png
Frankenstien3.png (8.31 KiB) Viewed 3167 times
SkullMan
Eternal
Art Contributor

Post by Eternal »

Quite good, still loads of work ahead of you.
Even though I don't see your post have any relevancy to this topic, I'll tip you because I'm such a nice fellow. :roll:

1st: Colors.
Simple, "automatic" recoloring sometimes might not look as good as manually done. I suspect you use GIMP so make a good use of that choose by color tool.

2nd: Scaling and rotating.
Never, never, never scale or rotate!
Scaling and rotating makes stuff blurry and Blur Is Bad (BIB). If you need to Shrink the size of something, redo it completely by yourself.

3rd: Basic artistic stuff.
If you have no idea about perspective, how shadows and light work and other basic stuff: Learn those before starting to make anything. Pixel art is art and no good pixelartist is totally unskilled with normal drawing.
Of course you can learn most of shading and other stuff through pixel art but it helps a lot is you have some artistic skill beforehand. :)
Since I'm no art teacher and I have most of that basic art stuff flowing in my blood I can't help with basics. :( But there sure are a plenty of schools in the world and tutorials online which can help you. :D

Also I urge you to continue copy&pasting all those in-game units and others. Play close attention to the masters (Neorice, Jetryl, fmunoz) workpieces.
And don't forget patience, a good artist needs plenty of it.

I hope that helped. :D
I wish I had more time in my hands.
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

I split this from the ogre thread.

About rotating: you can always rotate a piece by 90 degrees without blur (and mirror it horizontally and vertically).

If you really must do some rotation and you can't quite draw the rotated version from scratch, you can try this: either see if your graphics program can rotate without blurring. Some have an option for this in some form. If not, cut the thing you want to rotate into a new image, resize it by 400% (for example), and use a scaling algorithm that doesn't blur the image (called "pixel resize" or something similar most likely). Then, rotate the part in the new image, and after that scale the image back to the original size (again using pixel resize). You should have a rotated version of the thing that isn't blurred. Note that it probably won't look perfect yet, so grab a brush, eraser, pushbrush or something and clean up some rough edges and such.
Eternal
Art Contributor

Post by Eternal »

Oh yes, silly me, I forgot about those... :oops:

I second to zookeeper. :)
I wish I had more time in my hands.