Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
wayfarer
Art Contributor

Ok guys I need help

Post by wayfarer »

I've tried it several times and watched for some further info in the net though with less than zero sucess. Does someone know how to draw chainmail or even better scale armor digital. With a pencil it's no big deal but at the inking the trouble starts. I've tried to draw single scales and but them together some straight lines but all looks ugly. Any ideas suggestions or something useful?
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

When doing advanced cell shading, you don't necessarily ink every border. Some borders are done simply with the "cells" themselves.

Take the mantle in this longbowman portrait by Pekka, for one great example:

wayfarer
Art Contributor

Post by wayfarer »

Yeah I've already seen it and some other examples. Though at the moment I push coloring a little bit away from me. I've seen sketches where some artists were good enough to ink every single scale. If tried it myself but it looked to regular.
Zhukov
Art Contributor

Post by Zhukov »

Could you dig up an example of what you want to be able to do?
wayfarer
Art Contributor

Post by wayfarer »

Ok this one seems hand sketched but still. I just couldn't reproduce it. Ok perhaps if I had spent 3 days drawing every single one but there must be another way.

Dragon Master

Post by Dragon Master »

Well, if you're trying to draw chainmail on a unit, I think a checkerboard of light and dark silver colors would look realistic enough. If your going for a portrait, I got nothin'...
Zhukov
Art Contributor

Post by Zhukov »

Darn, that's a neat sketch. The helmet design is especially good (I could swear I've seen it before).

Anyway, what's stopping you doing what has been done there? They would appear to have simply drawn each scale.
I guess if that takes too long you could do a couple of patches then skan it and play around with copy-and-paste...
wayfarer
Art Contributor

Post by wayfarer »

Zhukov wrote:Darn, that's a neat sketch. The helmet design is especially good (I could swear I've seen it before).

Anyway, what's stopping you doing what has been done there? They would appear to have simply drawn each scale.
I guess if that takes too long you could do a couple of patches then skan it and play around with copy-and-paste...

You mustn't swear it's concept art from Warhammer a High Elf. (forget the miniatures get the concepts) I think the helmet is a little bit overladed but this is personal taste.

Anyway if I could sketch like that I wouldn't need to ink it digital. Though I think it could be one solution but hand drawn stuff doesn't fits well together with inked stuff.
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

wayfarer wrote:You mustn't swear it's concept art from Warhammer a High Elf. (forget the miniatures get the concepts)
Actually, could you link me the page(s) that you got that from? I'm interested in using that as study material too.
wayfarer
Art Contributor

Post by wayfarer »

Jetryl wrote:
wayfarer wrote:You mustn't swear it's concept art from Warhammer a High Elf. (forget the miniatures get the concepts)
Actually, could you link me the page(s) that you got that from? I'm interested in using that as study material too.
Well here are some arts no linework and such of course the page is also in English

http://www.games-workshop.de/warhammer/ ... index.shtm

But those damned retards delete most concepts when the boxes are saled.
That hasn't stopped me saving it to my harddrive. I'll make a small package and send it to you.
Kestenvarn
Inactive Developer

Post by Kestenvarn »

Recognized the design immediately - never played the game, but used to paint the miniatures and still have a few instruction books on the subject.