Giant Faction

Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Dragon Master

Post by Dragon Master »

I get the feeling that every one of these is a cut & paste job because...
The art is inconsistent
The angle is oh so wrong
There are tell-tale white speckles all about the outlines
The quality is terrible considering what can be done in IMP's (Image manipulator programs)
SaintDust

Post by SaintDust »

these are not cut and paste. Im just a newb artist on his first day job.
I have never done any graphics before.

I used smudged to blend highlights in and sometimes i smudged around edges of unit which causes it to to fill in when i did the background bucket fill.

Storm Giant is the only one i realy like. maybe the gargoyle to. The ogre mage has potential. The hill giant and fire giant im going to redo entirely.
Hurry up and take your time
Only the dead have seen the end of war
halleck

Post by halleck »

Dragon Master wrote:I get the feeling that every one of these is a cut & paste job
Cut in paste from what!? :shock:
Screw it... I can go without a sig.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

SaintDust wrote:
Giants are MUCH more powerful than even a troll
I disagree. You are trying to add some sortof foundation to a fantasy world. Who says that giants are more powerfull than trolls. If you compare them to drakes you get a reasonably decent match. Drakes are dragons?

Giants moves slower hit harder and have poor defense since they are so big. That are just so large anyone can hit one. How can you miss a 10ft tall giant? And like drakes they are a bit more pricey than your normal faction like the northerners.
I'm not going to argue with you, but I find the quoted post absurd, to say the least.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
SaintDust

Post by SaintDust »

My troll..Which i might use in my ...... whatver....
Attachments
newtroll.png
newtroll.png (3.85 KiB) Viewed 5613 times
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

turin wrote:A race of giants is an interesting idea, but I don't see how it could work. Giants are MUCH more powerful than even a troll. The only way you could really have level 1 Giant units would be to have them start out as children and get bigger - a decent-sized giant would be at least a level 2. Thing is, you can do that with trolls and ogres, because they're uncivilized bastards, little more than beasts - it's a stretch, but they might actually send their children into battle. With giants, I just can't see them sending children into battle. And if they don't send children into battle, you would really have to start all of the unit lines on level 2...
Giant, like "elf", or "goblin", is a very nebulous term. I mean, for elves, one could have anything from pixies, to Keebler elves, to Sidhe, to Noldor, to the Erlking, and still not break the use of the work. It is customary that most people think of the specific Tolkien definiton, but the word is still completely valid for those others.

Remain open in your interpretation - when encountering a fantasy world, I'm going to have very exacting standards at to what I'd expect some things to be, such as "Aes Sedai, Ogier, Myrddraal, Hobbits, Nazgûl, and Balrogs". These were coherent creations of a single author, and have only one valid definition. Other the other hand, I'd give massive leeway to things like "Titans, Giants, Elves, Goblins, Dwarves, Gnomes, Trolls, Mermaids" and otherwise. These were pulled out of general mythology, and have had many wildly different interpretations over they years.

So - you really need to think wisely about which ones you settle on as having a fixed definition, m'kay? Some do, some don't, and you need to treat this as a matter of convention. It's one of those "way the world is" things - I, for example, prefer to have elves as being very similar to the tolkien/sidhe definition. But when I see someone else pimping Keeblers, I don't cry hue and say "Hey! Those aren't elves!" I would be wrong; I might not like their definition, but I'm powerless to change it and they're only at fault of choosing one I don't like, not of using the wrong word.

:| Accede to this - the best way to change definitions is by making something really freaking cool, not by pissing at people. After tolkien made LotR, most elves depicted were a lot like his. For a term that nebulous, that's f***ing amazing. To do that to the whole world - that's power money can't buy.
SaintDust wrote:I disagree. You are trying to add some sortof foundation to a fantasy world. Who says that giants are more powerful than trolls?
For a given fantasy world, some decision has to be made at one point or another. These don't carry on to _other_ fantasy worlds, unless you're really good and others are imitating you, but they have to get nailed down for your own.

I was saying to turin that he was pushing his preconceived notion a bit prematurely. He took that, and had already decided to himself exactly what giants in wesnoth should look like. It does, however, need to be decided at some point.
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

Yeah, they could be gentle giants, like the Ogier in Wheel of Time. Good point, Jetryl. ;)
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/User:Sapient... "Looks like your skills saved us again. Uh, well at least, they saved Soarin's apple pie."
Zhukov
Art Contributor

Post by Zhukov »

I'm glad someone's finally said it.
JW

Post by JW »

turin wrote:
zookeeper wrote:I also wonder why everyone tries to make factions and complete races. Why not just create single monster units or something like that? That would be a goal all these faction-makers could actually accomplish, instead of failing with 95% certainty when trying to make a full playable faction (or something similar) of them.
Everyone not affiliated with Turin or JW fails, you mean. ;)
Turin stole my words. I'd add Noyga to that mix, as the EE is really fun to play. (Chaos faction anyone? Kalifa? -not in any other eras (yet).)

I'm actually surprised at how not-crappy this art is for a beginner. And yes, that is a backhanded compliment meaning it's not good, but it shows a lot of signs that you could make good (potentially really good) art in time with practice.

Keep it up, and listen to the guys like Jetryl, Wayfarer, Neo, Zhukov, or Redeth if they give you tips.
JW

Post by JW »

SaintDust wrote:My troll..Which i might use in my ...... whatver....
Oh, I forgot to mention this guy is really cool already. If you can animate that that'd be the bomb.

The only complaint I have is that his head is half-hidden by his club.
Oreb

Post by Oreb »

turin wrote:
zookeeper wrote:I also wonder why everyone tries to make factions and complete races. Why not just create single monster units or something like that? That would be a goal all these faction-makers could actually accomplish, instead of failing with 95% certainty when trying to make a full playable faction (or something similar) of them.
Heh, I only bother trying out a faction when, I know that it has a high possibility of being accepted by someone like turin :wink:

Having a faction of giants, is not that good, but having the idea of having just random giants as the wesnoth "monsters" is good.
I am Oreb, Lord of the Darthien
Give your comments to the World of Orbivm
Temuchin Khan

Post by Temuchin Khan »

turin wrote:
I've proposed more faction ideas than anyone else on the Wesnoth forums. Turin took an interest in a number of them. The ones he picked up have either been completed or will be within the next year or so. The rest, I suspect, will never be done.

As for these giants, they need a faction of Norse gods to fight! Where are Odin and Thor when you need them?
ascendant

Post by ascendant »

SaintDust wrote:My troll..Which i might use in my ...... whatver....
You are getting better, but they are a bit blurry. They should be a bit more aliased, sharpened, IMO.
Morever, I advise that Catharge should be destoyed.
SaintDust

Post by SaintDust »

Oh, I forgot to mention this guy is really cool already. If you can animate that that'd be the bomb.

The only complaint I have is that his head is half-hidden by his club.
When i made the troll i tried a different approah and it seemed to work better. I know that if i could get my other stuff done like that i too would be pleased. I also plan on redoing what goes in the faction. Insteed of trying to make a whole faction with different races of giants i plan on just making a few giants and then things that might work well with giants. Sort of like northerners faction. You have orcs but then other races too.

Thanks for the imput you guys are helping me.
Attachments
stormgiant22.png
stormgiant22.png (3.54 KiB) Viewed 5469 times
stormgiant33.png
stormgiant33.png (4.17 KiB) Viewed 5469 times
wayfarer
Art Contributor

Post by wayfarer »

The shading on the skirt is quite good though I think that green is a little bit unhealthy face color. Make sure you remove the artefacts of your work in progress. Else practice is all.