Help finding Temporary Art?

Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Flare

Help finding Temporary Art?

Post by Flare »

I'M QUITE AWARE THERE'S NOT ENOUGH ARTISTS TO WORK ON A NEWBIE'S PROJECT PLEASE DON'T LYNCH M-*hanged*

...right. In any case, I'm working on making my custom faction beta-playable, with only one frame per unit. That means I need to start jacking art like mad. Therefore, could someone with way too much free time help me look through the art gallery to find unit pics that look decently like what the unit is supposed to be?

List:
Apprentice, Lavamancer, Pyromancer, Vulcan - Anything that looks magish and firey. Nerdiness not a prerequisite.
Evoker - Really, any mage. I'm not picky. Ideal would be one with a blade.
Journeyman, Alchemist, Master Alchemist - Anything with a quarterstaff, or even a staff. Nerdy is preferable.
Twinblade, Blademaster - Think Darth Maul's sword made out of metal. If that's not availible, I'll take any swordy design with minimal armor.
Glaivesman, Silver Guard - Anything with a glaive. Think sword superglued onto a stick. Worst case scenario, any spearsman will do.
Deathguard - A dude with a spear. Surprise me.

Many thanks in advance. I will, of course, be looking also, and if I find something, I'll edit it out.
Hey, 20 gazillion lemmings can't all be wrong...right?
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

I'll let this topic live.
I suggest you look here for general tips:

http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/Create_Art

And here for art: (which the former link would have tipped you off to, but I'll happily save time)

http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/GraphicLibrary

Neoriceisgood is a good source, so is Wayfarer, assuming he hasn't deleted his posts. Fmuñoz, also.

I strongly suggest you practice some cut and paste with body parts and weapons. http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/posting.ph ... ly&t=13334

Try it, it's really freaking easy, and might get you what you want.
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Creating new units by copy-pasting parts of existing units is pretty easy and while the results are obviously rather amateurish-looking, you still get unique graphics as opposed to just using the exact same graphics some other existing unit uses. And it also forces you to learn some basic image manipulation stuff, which you'll be needing anyway (even if you just take most of the graphics you use from somewhere else, you'll most likely still need to do some small edits to some images occasionally).

Also, personally I think it's a good starting point to learning how to do unit graphics and animations, if you're interested in doing something like that in the future.
wayfarer
Art Contributor

Post by wayfarer »

I haven't deleted all only zip files and animations as I recall.