Northern Rebirth and SotBE Portriats Needing Color

Make art for user-made content.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Developers

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
vonHalenbach
Translator

Post by vonHalenbach » August 8th, 2007, 4:27 pm

I think i colorize Sisal next. Or does someone else want to jump in??

If YaymeQ finishes the Ork, there are only Hidel and Tallin-Evil left to do.

Taurus
Inactive Developer

Post by Taurus » August 8th, 2007, 5:01 pm

Sister Theta looks great to me - thanks :-) I am in the process of comitting her and Ro'Arthian.

Great start on Rakshas as well - as it has been said, I think his skin needs to be a little darker, but otherwise keep it up :-)
Creater of the campaign, "Northern Rebirth"

Compleater of the campaign, "Son of the Black Eye"

vonHalenbach
Translator

Post by vonHalenbach » August 8th, 2007, 5:31 pm

Thank you Taurus, for your friendly words! I had hoped to get more hints or help from other art developers to make your pictures better. I get the feeling, that i have to do much more fine work on Ro Arthian and Theta to consider her finished.

I am new to this coloring and shading and have to learn many things to get as good as Jetryl. For the moment i think it is okay to commit them, because as they are now, they are better than black and whites. If someone else can improve them, please be bold and do so.

I will start now with Sisal and i will try to get at least the skin of her with the same colors and shading like Elenia.

Greetings
Stefan

vonHalenbach
Translator

First color for Sisal

Post by vonHalenbach » August 13th, 2007, 7:31 pm

Okay. Here is the second coloring of Sisal. She is far from complete, but i wanted to show my progress and the proposed new opening of her trousers.

EDIT: Deleted the picture here. At the end of the thread is a better picture.
Last edited by vonHalenbach on August 20th, 2007, 12:43 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Sgt. Groovy
Art Contributor

Post by Sgt. Groovy » August 13th, 2007, 8:01 pm

Why's the skintone on body rarker than on the face? Usually it's the other way around.

Very muted colour scheme, maybe something could be more saturated?
Tiedäthän kuinka pelataan.
Tiedäthän, vihtahousua vastaan.
Tiedäthän, solmu kravatin, se kantaa niin synnit
kuin syntien tekijätkin.

BloodIssyl

Post by BloodIssyl » August 14th, 2007, 1:00 am

color choice is nice, but the skin appears to be different colors in different locations.

Taurus
Inactive Developer

Post by Taurus » August 14th, 2007, 4:22 pm

I bet the different skin colors have something to do with the shading - or lack of it. Anyhow, she is looking good, the only thing I would like to see changed is the color of the opening around her croch. It should be more of a leathery, less of a skin color.

vonHalenbach
Translator

Post by vonHalenbach » August 14th, 2007, 8:13 pm

Taurus wrote:...the only thing I would like to see changed is the color of the opening around her croch. It should be more of a leathery, less of a skin color.
:oops: I can do this, but i think it would look artificial if i put a leather patch on this place. These trousers are held together by strings, because in this time they did not know what a zipper is. :P

It would be better to edit the trousers to move the opening a lot more upwards or conceal the front completley with any thing.

Thanks for the comments! I made the skin color like her face on her whole body, redid the hair color (brownish) and think that Sisals trousers are much too dark. I will brighten them up a bit.

The different brightness of her skin color was a result of me wanting to shade,withoutknowingwherethelightiscommingfrom :oops:

The chainmail (the bright grey on her left shoulder and breast) i will do much later. Sisal is much more difficult to do than i thought. It could take some days to finnish her.
8)

Taurus
Inactive Developer

Post by Taurus » August 15th, 2007, 5:39 am

vonHalenbach wrote: :oops: I can do this, but i think it would look artificial if i put a leather patch on this place. These trousers are held together by strings, because in this time they did not know what a zipper is. :P

It would be better to edit the trousers to move the opening a lot more upwards or conceal the front completley with any thing.
I don't think it should come to that. But... what did they use for underwear in Wesnoth anyway?

vonHalenbach
Translator

Post by vonHalenbach » August 15th, 2007, 2:08 pm

I have uploaded a second version of sisal. Don't know if the people in these times really cared about underwear at all. :roll:

Taurus
Inactive Developer

Post by Taurus » August 16th, 2007, 6:57 pm

Yeah, that looks better :-)

YaymeQ

Post by YaymeQ » August 16th, 2007, 8:30 pm

Hey guys I'm sorry, I can't finish rakshas. There's so much going on right now I thought life had calmed a bit but no ... plus the shadding sucks no matter what I do to it.

BloodIssyl

Post by BloodIssyl » August 16th, 2007, 11:36 pm

Red - needs to be lighter/more shading
Blue - Misaligned Coloring
Green - WTF?

I'm no expert, but thats my diagnosis.
Looks great though btw
Attachments
sis3_138.png
sis3_138.png (161.24 KiB) Viewed 1917 times

vonHalenbach
Translator

Post by vonHalenbach » August 17th, 2007, 10:55 am

BloodIssyl wrote:Red - needs to be lighter/more shading
Blue - Misaligned Coloring
Green - WTF?

I'm no expert, but thats my diagnosis.
Looks great though btw
I agree with you. There are many places, that needs fixing. I wanted to highlight her knuckels and when i am there make her hand more realistic (Green). The red headband needs shading,more details on her boots (maybe construct the missing second boot in the background) and at last the chainmail needs a coloring to appear as chainmail, not as grey strokes.

Thank you for your feedback!

vonHalenbach
Translator

Sisal almost finished.

Post by vonHalenbach » August 17th, 2007, 6:26 pm

Here is an almost final version. Only missing is the chainmail. Do you see anything else, that needs fixing?

EDIT: Deleted the picture here.
Last edited by vonHalenbach on August 20th, 2007, 12:55 pm, edited 3 times in total.