Northern Rebirth and SotBE Portriats Needing Color

Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
vonHalenbach
Translator

Post by vonHalenbach »

Shadow wrote:One think that falls into the eye about your coloring vonHalenbach that the skin color is really dark. Most artists tend to let it stand out a bit with using brighter colors. (As it is in reality too)
Just a thought. :)
This is just one point of view. I don't wanted her skin to look pale white like elenias skin. And i don't wanted her to have blonde hair. Sisal is in my eyes a female fighter who doesn't care to get a tan or get her hands dirty. In reality are people with much brownisher skintone. On the other hand, did i have some difficulties with the shading and have trouble to imagine where the light is coming from and where the shadows may be. I am a beginner to this coloring work, so please be patient with me and help me with your critique. I think if i would have to colorise a female magician, i would make her skin as white as can be. As the picture is at the moment, i am quite satisfied with it. I never thought i can get it this good. Thank you for your critique, Shadow!

EDIT: Is there someone else, who thinks Sisals skin is too dark? If so, please speak up now! If more people think her skin should be paler, i will do it.
scienceguy8

Post by scienceguy8 »

I almost think it is not dark enough. Of course, I'm just a guy trying to juggle multiple projects, one of them a Wesnoth Era and Scenario, and possessing not that much artistic ability.
"You can't kill an unarmed, upside down man!"
Dr. Rodney McKay
Stargate Atlantis
Runner

Gilberti Industries
scienceguy8
Proud Member of the Marching Salukis
YaymeQ

Post by YaymeQ »

Alright I updated the picture again, no one told me but I thought a few things stood out and bugged me. The big bright spot on his right shoulder has been toned down ... the shadow on his right foot looked inverted so I redid it ... and someone said his face needed redo-ing so I tried ... what do you think now? and it's on page six so you don't go searching. :)
Shadow

Post by Shadow »

VanHalenbach I just thing that the skin blends too much with the clothes.
It is an artistic trick to let the face stand out a bit. example

I would choice a bright skin color and shade it darker fro the suntan.
I know this comes from a guy who isn't able to color his own work. :lol:
So take it as a grain of salt.

Anyways looks good so far. As already said just a thought.
... all romantics meet the same fate someday
Cynical and drunk and boring someone in some dark cafe ...
All good dreamers pass this way some day
Hidin’ behind bottles in dark cafes
vonHalenbach
Translator

Post by vonHalenbach »

Shadow wrote:vonHalenbach I just think that the skin blends too much with the clothes.
It is an artistic trick to let the face stand out a bit. example

I would choice a bright skin color and shade it darker fro the suntan.
I know this comes from a guy who isn't able to color his own work. :lol:
So take it as a grain of salt.

Anyways looks good so far. As already said just a thought.
Your example looks great! But when i try this, i will get complains about different skin colors again. :lol: Maybe i will try your approach the next time.
vonHalenbach
Translator

Post by vonHalenbach »

Ok, i made her skin a little brighter and removed the old chainmail.

I have added another picture of her with the chainmail. Does it look like a chainmail??

This is my final version. I consider her finished,now. Is there something that needs changing? :?:

Uploaded sis10.png with a wider mesh. No, i did not look at photos of chainmail before (i have just a blurry memory of chainmail in my mind). Should probably do this. Thanks for the hint! I can make the mesh big or small, just as you like it and better realism.
Attachments
final version.
final version.
sis10.png (109.82 KiB) Viewed 3485 times
Last edited by vonHalenbach on August 22nd, 2007, 5:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Urs
Art Contributor

Post by Urs »

It looks nice, but- is that stuff on her left chainmail? It's too thin for that. Right now it looks like some sort of woven thread.

I'd simply remove it.
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Where's Jetryl, the source of links to real-life references, when you need him? :hmm: Anyway, have you taken a look to any real-life references? That could help, as it seems you drawn the chainmail from scratch.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
vonHalenbach
Translator

Post by vonHalenbach »

Shadow Master wrote:Where's Jetryl, the source of links to real-life references, when you need him? :hmm: Anyway, have you taken a look to any real-life references? That could help, as it seems you drawn the chainmail from scratch.
I have found some pictures here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mail_(armour)

I don't go for photorealism here. It is just a drawing and must only be identifyable as chainmail.
Shadow

Post by Shadow »

Shadow Master wrote:Where's Jetryl, the source of links to real-life references, when you need him? :hmm: Anyway, have you taken a look to any real-life references? That could help, as it seems you drawn the chainmail from scratch.
Been Done. What now?

I think it looks better now but I'm obvious biased.
... all romantics meet the same fate someday
Cynical and drunk and boring someone in some dark cafe ...
All good dreamers pass this way some day
Hidin’ behind bottles in dark cafes
vonHalenbach
Translator

Post by vonHalenbach »

And when i put that black curtain behind her aside, you can see my tricks. :lol:
Attachments
sis10b.png
sis10b.png (66.05 KiB) Viewed 3477 times
sisal4.svg.gz
the sources in vector graphics. Rename it to sisal.svgz or unpack it to sisal.svg
(116.14 KiB) Downloaded 292 times
Urs
Art Contributor

Post by Urs »

And when i put that black curtain behind her aside, you can see my tricks. :lol:
I might study that and adapt some of those tricks for my inkscape stuff. I'm still learning.
von Halenbach wrote:I have found some pictures here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mail
No wonder... :P
Sgt. Groovy
Art Contributor

Post by Sgt. Groovy »

And when i put that black curtain behind her aside, you can see my tricks.
I see you haven't yet familiarised yourself with the path operations and clipping and masking. I suggest you look into them, they are the tools for removing the excess, so your drawing will work on any background (and they are insanely powerful tools anyway, once you get the hang of them).
Tiedäthän kuinka pelataan.
Tiedäthän, vihtahousua vastaan.
Tiedäthän, solmu kravatin, se kantaa niin synnit
kuin syntien tekijätkin.
Taurus
Inactive Developer

Post by Taurus »

YaymeQ wrote:Alright I updated the picture again, no one told me but I thought a few things stood out and bugged me. The big bright spot on his right shoulder has been toned down ... the shadow on his right foot looked inverted so I redid it ... and someone said his face needed redo-ing so I tried ... what do you think now? and it's on page six so you don't go searching. :)
He is looking pretty hidious... in a good way :-P Is he consitered done now, because I can certanly use him :-)

About Sisal, I am also ready to commit her, but just one thing - I am not so crazy about the new chain mail on her. It seems to be a bit to neet and tidy for her rugged look. Otherwise she is looking good. I think her colour is just about right. She is white enough true to her elvish herritiage, but dark enough to show that she gets her hands dirty.

And one other thing, the Wesnoth.org thing in the backround looks pretty cool, but is it necessary to put that in? I can paint it out no problem when I commit the images but...
Creater of the campaign, "Northern Rebirth"

Compleater of the campaign, "Son of the Black Eye"
vonHalenbach
Translator

Post by vonHalenbach »

No need to paint it out! I will pm you the picture without the wesnoth.org.

Just a little advertising for a great game :)