"Alfhelm" campaign story image in need of C&C

Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Boucman wrote:I think the horses ans soldier in the background are way too big...
compare them to the siege engine and castle... they should be really tiny, and the head shouldn't be distinguished at all. Your first sketch was better from that point of view
Good point... pretty easy to do, as well.
Ranger M wrote:On the hand, the reason it could look childsh is because the fingers are very fat compared to the length of the hand, mostly because the bit of the hand which is obviously suposed to be slanting away from us isn't any darker than the bit pointing towards us, so it appears flat as if it isn't slanting away. The fist itself is fine, this detail just makes it look wrong.
Ah, I see. I'll fix that.
Oreb wrote:This is looking alot better apart from the comments mentioned by everyone else, one question I have, is who is the army that you can see (the ant looking army)
The lavinians, of course!
Sgt. Groovy wrote:The forest: You have used only one tree image to construct the forest, and it seem that you have flipped some of the horizontally to make variation. This won't do, because it puts the lit and dark sides on wrong sides. Rather, make three or four tree images of different shapes and sizes, and make the forest out of them. I will look lot better, I promise. If you insist on using only one, scale it to different sizes for variation, rather than mirroring. Also, you could scale the trees farther away a bit down, to improve perspective. For individual trees, make the bottom fade into the background to make them look more like they grow out of it. Now they look like they float few feets over the ground.
Yeah, I got kinda lazy making the forest. I'll probably have to completely redo it.
Sgt. Groovy wrote:The ground: The rather fresh green colour suggests it's spring. If this is not the case, you need to tone down the saturation. The ground inside and around the camp would be expected to be trampled and
disturbed, so the colour there should be closer to ground shade (= less vegetation). I'm not sure the stroking technique is the best for making ground texture. You should at least not use the pencil brush (sharp edges). Try to blur the green layer (or just squint your eyes) to see what it would look like painted with fuzzy brush.
Well, it is supposed to be spring, but good point about the saturation.
Sgt. Groovy wrote:The troops in the landscape: As mentioned, they suffer a poor perspective. The figures close to river are too big, and the colums in the background don't decrease enough in size toward the horizon. It would help if you would make a guiding grid, in perspective with what is the the average ground level beyond the river.
Well, there isnt' really a visible horizon in the picture, since you're looking down, but I get the idea.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Sgt. Groovy
Art Contributor

Post by Sgt. Groovy »

Yes, but you as the artist should know where the horizon would be if the picture was big enough (having wider angle of view) to include it. It is the horizon that fixes the perspective, because that's where the points of convergence are. In you picture, how much above the upper edge the horizon would be determines how fast the objects decrease in size as they move farther (= toward the upper edge).
Tiedäthän kuinka pelataan.
Tiedäthän, vihtahousua vastaan.
Tiedäthän, solmu kravatin, se kantaa niin synnit
kuin syntien tekijätkin.
Sgt. Groovy
Art Contributor

Post by Sgt. Groovy »

And speaking of pespective, I would say that the upper branch of the river should get thinner towards the upper edge, because it also goes farther. I would also suggest reshaping the river a bit, real rivers tend to craft their own channel, making round bends.
Tiedäthän kuinka pelataan.
Tiedäthän, vihtahousua vastaan.
Tiedäthän, solmu kravatin, se kantaa niin synnit
kuin syntien tekijätkin.
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

/me seconds what Sgt. Groovy said.