rooster600500's scrapbook

Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
rooster600500

Post by rooster600500 »

has anyone here ever heard of fun? thats what i play for and make art for not to match boring standards and how can i improve if i dont post my work to be commented on?
Thrawn
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Thrawn »

rooster600500 wrote:has anyone here ever heard of fun? thats what i play for and make art for not to match boring standards and how can i improve if i dont post my work to be commented on?
1. I've heard of fun, and love her dearly. :roll: As a matter of fact, I began by editing sprites as well. It's not that you don't adhere to the style, but that you are not doing several important things.
-- volume. This is a method where you take something 2-D (your sprite) and make it appear to take up physical 3-D space. This is what perspective, but more importantly shading (in oyur case) is used for. A good way to see this put into effect would be to look carefully (zoomed to 800%) at in-game sprites. You don't need to copy the style, but you do need to copy the method.

2. You need more realsitic hair. By realistic, I do not me boring, but I do mean that it has to behave like real hair, and be subject to things like gravity :) More seriously, you need to simplify. Don't draw it as separate hairs, draw a mass of hair and hint at distinct hairs. Sprite art is not the best thing to try to get overly fancy with, especially as a beginner.

3. Look back at oyur work afterwards, and when you are done, do things like turn it backwards and upside down. All of these will make flaws in it more obvious (reflecting the images is my primary way)

4. Swords don't bend like that. :)

5. Even if you are posting this here to get C&C, and are doing it for your own fun, expect peopel to be critical: this is a dev. forum for game-worthy art, not just a place for free comments. Thick skin is a requirement.

Cheers!
...please remember that "IT'S" ALWAYS MEANS "IT IS" and "ITS" IS WHAT YOU USE TO INDICATE POSSESSION BY "IT".--scott

this goes for they're/their/there as well
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Thrawn wrote:2. You need more realistic hair. By realistic, I do not mean boring, but I do mean that it has to behave like real hair, and be subject to things like gravity :) More seriously, you need to simplify. Don't draw it as separate hairs, draw a mass of hair and hint at distinct hairs. Sprite art is not the best thing to try to get overly fancy with, especially as a beginner.
#1 suggestion - separate it into big "locks" of hair. You only have space for a few, not for even a dozen. Show how these curve around the head, and shade/light them. Do not try to draw individual hairs, there's just not enough space.
Thrawn wrote:5. Even if you are posting this here to get C&C, and are doing it for your own fun, expect people to be critical: this is a dev. forum for game-worthy art, not just a place for free comments. Thick skin is a requirement.
The first step in getting better is acknowledging that there's something wrong with your current work. Once you figure out what that is, you can work on making it better - inevitably, every artist pays for "getting better" by making a bunch of lousy pictures to begin with.

Be glad we're artists, not warriors; their "coming to truth with flaws in their method" is often painful.
Maeglin Dubh
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Maeglin Dubh »

Turin? No, his plans for domination of the Wesnoth Universe have not yet come to fruition. I think if anyone can be said to be in charge of art, it's Jetryl.
Cuyo Quiz wrote:I really should push for Temuchin's brainstorming with all my might someday, when the skies are cloudy, the winds dance and the light is free to roam over the soil along the fog.
rooster600500

Post by rooster600500 »

Thrawn wrote:
rooster600500 wrote:has anyone here ever heard of fun? thats what i play for and make art for not to match boring standards and how can i improve if i dont post my work to be commented on?
2. You need more realsitic hair. By realistic, I do not me boring, but I do mean that it has to behave like real hair, and be subject to things like gravity :) More seriously, you need to simplify. Don't draw it as separate hairs, draw a mass of hair and hint at distinct hairs. Sprite art is not the best thing to try to get overly fancy with, especially as a beginner.

Cheers!
he uses hair spray :)
rooster600500

Post by rooster600500 »

Thrawn wrote:
4. Swords don't bend like that. :)

Cheers!
scimitars bend :)
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

THOSE ARE NOT SUITABLE EXCUSES:

• Even if the guy had an eight-point spikehawk, it still wouldn't look zig-zagged like this one does. And frankly - uh, that style is out of place for any knight.

• Scimitars don't bend FORWARD.

So, wipe the dumb grin off your face, Private Pyle, and shape up.

(I'm done with this thread, someone else gets to play "bad cop".)
rooster600500

Post by rooster600500 »

is thier anyone here whos not a critic?
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

rooster600500 wrote:is thier anyone here whos not a critic?
It's so nice that someone draws some pictures. <- non-critic comment

...seriously, what is it that you are looking for? If you post stuff that you've drawn without much desire to get better nor to produce things that other people around here find useful, then why do you post them? It's only reasonable to assume that if someone posts Wesnoth-related art, he wants to do either one of the aforementioned.

If you're just doing these simply because it's fun and just want to show what you've done and specifically don't want much critique, then it's probably a good idea to say that to begin with since people will, by default, assume otherwise around here. If you want to draw stuff for people to use, then you can't really avoid criticism because your art isn't good enough yet for people to use, so you'll have to improve some first.
Last edited by zookeeper on September 21st, 2006, 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rooster600500

Post by rooster600500 »

i dont mind critics if theres also some complimenters most of the time
Jester

Post by Jester »

rooster600500 wrote:i dont mind critics if theres also some complimenters most of the time
You first need to show improvement before you get compliments.
I heard they were stoned out of their minds, trying to convince the Statue of Liberty to get naked...

CCBS - Compulsive Cat Biting Syndrome, when you know that kittens shouldn't have heads attached to their bodies.
rooster600500

Post by rooster600500 »

howabout with a boff
Attachments
royal-knight-level-up-withboff.PNG
royal-knight-level-up-withboff.PNG (2.14 KiB) Viewed 6100 times
rooster600500

Post by rooster600500 »

sorry im hyper
Dennis Finch wrote:"Ive just remembered something. Your boring,and my legs work."
Na'enthos

Post by Na'enthos »

It's fine to tweak units for practice. But try to look at what you create realistically and compare them with unit pictures currently in the game.

Personally, I encourage you to continue to practice your drawing.. but try to expect criticism. If people don't like it they can say so.. and what's more they'll often even say what they don't like which could help you if you take their advice to heart. Don't expect to create a unit as good as those by, say, Jetryl. Look for advice on how to draw units (tutorials, possibly).. perhaps try to make one yourself from scratch.

Good luck.
Last edited by Na'enthos on September 21st, 2006, 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
He who would travel happily must travel light.
-Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Cuyo Quiz

Post by Cuyo Quiz »

rooster600500 wrote:sorry im hyper
Go to an unrelated chat. There are less consequences and less space wasting when you let your hyperness go down in a chat.

Heck, i should know, some have seen the sugar/condiment side of me.
Cuyo Quiz,where madness meets me :D
Turn on, tune in, fall out.
"I know that, but every single person nags about how negative turin is; it should be in the FPI thread "Turin should give positive comments" =)"-Neorice,23 Sep 2004