Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
kshinji

Post by kshinji »

Hell, does this means youve got AA tool in your eyes? :shock:
User:Kshinji
Probably there's no point for me posting here, but i'll raise my PC to 1337 before leaving again ;P -- just kidding.
Ranger M
Art Contributor

Post by Ranger M »

kshinji wrote:Hell, does this means youve got AA tool in your eyes? :shock:
no, you just tweak the colours untill it's right (It's what I use too).
Eternal
Art Contributor

Post by Eternal »

kshinji wrote:Hell, does this means youve got AA tool in your eyes? :shock:
Yes. I see which pixels are to be put into a darker shade in order to make stuff look anti-aliased. It's rather simple really... At least to me. :?

After that I do, however, try out if a darker or slightly different coloured shadow would look like.
I wish I had more time in my hands.
kshinji

Post by kshinji »

I tought of it, and created new method in my brain:

I now zoom x8, and then imagine how would be unit looking like, if it was 800x800 not 72x72. Now i need to download other editor, as tweaking colours in paint is awful.

I dunno if its the way yuou do it guys, but i think it might be a nice method.
Probably there's no point for me posting here, but i'll raise my PC to 1337 before leaving again ;P -- just kidding.
Ranger M
Art Contributor

Post by Ranger M »

kshinji wrote:I tought of it, and created new method in my brain:

I now zoom x8, and then imagine how would be unit looking like, if it was 800x800 not 72x72. Now i need to download other editor, as tweaking colours in paint is awful.

I dunno if its the way yuou do it guys, but i think it might be a nice method.
If you get GIMP then you can open a new window containing the unit which updates with what you do real time, so you'd be able to see what effect your changes had without zooming out.
irrevenant
Moderator Emeritus

Post by irrevenant »

Ranger M wrote:If you get GIMP then you can open a new window containing the unit which updates with what you do real time, so you'd be able to see what effect your changes had without zooming out.
MS-Paint has this too (View->Zoom->Show Thumbnail). It only works when zoomed in, though.

Eternal, I'm not going to pretend for a moment that my tweak was anywhere near as good as yours; that's one impressively ripped looking spider. :)

However, IMO your changes make the head and arms look overbusy compared to the original. Perhaps they could be done somewhere in-between?
kshinji

Post by kshinji »

I dont have this feeling, the bigger problem for me is that he shines a bit too much. Ill try expermienting with making him more dull.
kshinji

Post by kshinji »

I made a generic arachnoid, to be used as a base or at least as inspiration for other units. If i do all frames for it, it could be also used in one fo two arachnoid camapings i want to make, as arachnoid commoner.
Attachments
Flesh + Carapace
Flesh + Carapace
generic3.PNG (1.32 KiB) Viewed 5907 times
Eyes, teeths and legs modified.
Eyes, teeths and legs modified.
generic4.PNG (1.36 KiB) Viewed 5907 times
Flesh
Flesh
generic1.PNG (1.1 KiB) Viewed 5907 times
Dragon Master

Post by Dragon Master »

That seriously looks like a robot, you might want to change the joint armor a bit.
kshinji

Post by kshinji »

Yeah ive got that feeling as well... I guss hes sking looks too polished and straight. Anti aliasing can solveit, as well as adding some shading on his skin.

However hitr comes Arachnoid Knifethrower. I dunno if hes going to make it to MP faction, but i had a feeling to do him. He should be smaller, and ill do that later. He is also based on this robotlike genric guy, so he looksweird as well.

BTW, i just noticed the difference between Eternals Warmonger and my generci guy. My arms are very long, and that explains a bit too.
Attachments
Arachnoid Knifethrower.PNG
Arachnoid Knifethrower.PNG (1.49 KiB) Viewed 5893 times
DeViL

Post by DeViL »

heh if you want really good sprites buy photoshop :) its awsome (basic grunt unit coming soon
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit
DeViL

Post by DeViL »

HEres grunty boy next il do an assassain type
Attachments
heres lvl 1 grunt did rather quikly please give feedback
heres lvl 1 grunt did rather quikly please give feedback
arachnoidgrunt.png (8.04 KiB) Viewed 5804 times
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit
DeViL

Post by DeViL »

heres assasain type char
Attachments
hes wearing a black kimono type thing (ninja type clothes) dagger top is poisoned thats why green
hes wearing a black kimono type thing (ninja type clothes) dagger top is poisoned thats why green
arachnoassas.png (43.13 KiB) Viewed 5793 times
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

DeViL wrote:HEres grunty boy next il do an assassain type
Cool! On the other hand, TOTALLY outside of all realism and the Wesnoth style. Whee.
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
DeViL

Post by DeViL »

hehe im not exact;y good at wesnoth style but not all art in game is so should be ok (taki faction and certain EoM Factions)