Arachnoids

Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
kshinji

Arachnoids

Post by kshinji »

I dont think im gonna make a lot of them myself, but here is Arachnoid Warmonger, the level two advancement of male arachnoid fighter typo.

He wields six primitive hammers. The things at each his ankle, elbow, and at the beginning of each leg & arm, are the natural armores, like these which beettles got.

He has got several pairs of eyes, one being obviously the largest, and the red things where hes mouth should be, are the same to what spiders and ants got there usually.

He also wears short fur skirt.

The tamcoloured part will be war tatoos, and the belt, but i didnt give him any tatoos yet.

Feedback?
Attachments
Arachnoid Warmonger, standing + meele 1st frame
Arachnoid Warmonger, standing + meele 1st frame
warmonger.PNG (3.05 KiB) Viewed 5924 times
Last edited by kshinji on August 31st, 2006, 3:52 pm, edited 4 times in total.
User:Kshinji
Probably there's no point for me posting here, but i'll raise my PC to 1337 before leaving again ;P -- just kidding.
reteldrus

Post by reteldrus »

Nice starting picture, though I think this sprite really needs some AA. Highlights and shadows will help at bringing out the depth in you picture. I also suggest that you make the colours less harsh (tone down the contrast). That's all.
kshinji

Post by kshinji »

Updated him a bit. Not did anything you propose tough, because of language bareer, except adding some shadings.
Probably there's no point for me posting here, but i'll raise my PC to 1337 before leaving again ;P -- just kidding.
irrevenant
Moderator Emeritus

Post by irrevenant »

Nice. Off to a good start there.
A couple of minor critiques:
* The shadow is too large.
* The torso is flat; it needs a bit of shading to make it stand out.
* The torso is long, but I'm not sure if that's a racial trait.

I like the unit design a lot.
kshinji

Post by kshinji »

irrevenant wrote: * The shadow is too large.
Ill make it better on next update, taking it from any orignal wesnoth unit.
irrevenant wrote: * The torso is flat; it needs a bit of shading to make it stand out.
They kinda meant to look weak, being well stronger than humans. I need to place tatoos somewhere, so i guess it will ba hard as for me.
[/quote]
irrevenant wrote: * The torso is long, but I'm not sure if that's a racial trait.
I based it on Elven Archer, just moved legs a bit to south, so torso gets long. They are very skinny around the stomach, just like lets say, wasp.
irrevenant wrote: I like the unit design a lot.
Thank You ^_^. Now i guess ill do whole faction, and then beg someone to improve them each after another, so they look like all the other Wesnoth units. I cant draw antialiasing style yet, maybe if ill do a trick, by drawing it fe. 6 times larger and then resizing image. Will it work?
Eternal
Art Contributor

Post by Eternal »

kshinji wrote:
irrevenant wrote: * The torso is flat; it needs a bit of shading to make it stand out.
They kinda meant to look weak, being well stronger than humans. I need to place tatoos somewhere, so i guess it will ba hard as for me.
The torso is flat as in it looks bad. Only metallic surfaces are completely flat like that. He needs some shadow. Put some muscles, but use only slightly different colors so he won't look ripped. :)
kshinji wrote: Thank You ^_^. Now i guess ill do whole faction, and then beg someone to improve them each after another, so they look like all the other Wesnoth units. I cant draw antialiasing style yet, maybe if ill do a trick, by drawing it fe. 6 times larger and then resizing image. Will it work?
NO! :shock: Ahem... No, It'll look horribly blurry. Tell me, what program are you using?
I'll be able to help more if I know what grphic program we're dealing with here. :)
I wish I had more time in my hands.
kshinji

Post by kshinji »

Okay.

Well.

Do not laugh please.

MS Paint
Ranger M
Art Contributor

Post by Ranger M »

kshinji wrote:MS Paint
You have two options.

Either get as good as Neo is and put up with paints shortcomings.

Or, Download the GIMP Fool, it works on every OS and is free, there is no real reason not to use it (except the one that neo gave, I can't remember what it was, but I remember that it wasn't a completely stupid reason.)
Eternal
Art Contributor

Post by Eternal »

I won't laugh.
Paint is a good program. AFAIK Neorice has done most of his work with it. :)

There's no transparency stuff there though... that can be a drawback, but not too big one.

I use GIMP for it has that transtaprency stuff, layers and gauss blur (and the last two I use only in shadows). When I make units I prefer the pencil tool because it's simple like in Paint.
It also has many other fancy tools which make my life easier, since I'm horribly impatient of a person. :D

You can make shadows and muscles with Paint. I have done loads with GIMP's pencil tool and I see no great difference. :wink:

Hope you continue with these units. They might not be "Jetryl-like" yet but they make a good start. :D

EDIT: Darn you Ranger! I'll get you someday! :lol:
kshinji

Post by kshinji »

I updated standing frame, and added first frame of melee attack. Is the chest now looking more naturally? Cause, whats starnge, i completely cannot tell anything about my own drawings... Its weird - i exactly know whats wrong :twisted: in other peoples ideas/arts/projects, but i cant critisize my own unit. Except that i no that overall its baaad.
irrevenant
Moderator Emeritus

Post by irrevenant »

Eternal wrote: The torso is flat as in it looks bad. Only metallic surfaces are completely flat like that. He needs some shadow. Put some muscles, but use only slightly different colors so he won't look ripped. :)
I disagree that he needs (external) muscles; he is an insect after all (right?). But he does need to look 3d rather than 2d.

Don't take this as gospel, but perhaps something like this (it's meant to look like a shiny carapace)?
Attachments
warmonger-tweak.png
warmonger-tweak.png (2.26 KiB) Viewed 5866 times
Eternal
Art Contributor

Post by Eternal »

What I meant was... insectiod-like muscles... Not really muscles but they rather look alike. Have you ever seen a big spiders belly. It looks rather "ripped" if you ask me. :P
:D
Anyway. It's time for tweakment:
Attachments
warmonger_tweak_343.png
warmonger_tweak_343.png (2.75 KiB) Viewed 5841 times
kshinji

Post by kshinji »

The problem is i dunno, if he should fleshy or have carapace. The blue things are carapace obviously, but the green i didnt yet decided. :-/

This is the concept art, i made it in the last five minutes, in paint. I was doing it just to show you how it should look like, not to make art for camaping, so ite very ugly.
Attachments
cinceptarachnoid.PNG
cinceptarachnoid.PNG (40.32 KiB) Viewed 5827 times
kshinji

Post by kshinji »

Eternal wrote:What I meant was... insectiod-like muscles... Not really muscles but they rather look alike. Have you ever seen a big spiders belly. It looks rather "ripped" if you ask me. :P
:D
Anyway. It's time for tweakment:
This looks pretty like how imagined this unit. If you agree, ill use him, but i guess itll be very hard for me to make more frames.

What tool do you use, and how?

Ive got to explain. that average arachnoid shouldnt have big muscles, and would be rather weak comapred to human. Intead, they are 2-2.6m tall, averagely.

The warmonger then, have larger arms, muscles, and is a bit smaller than average arachnoid.
Eternal
Art Contributor

Post by Eternal »

Eternal wrote:I use GIMP
Eternal wrote:I prefer the pencil tool because it's simple like in Paint.