A Few Units from My New Campaign

Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
BlackOpsElf

A Few Units from My New Campaign

Post by BlackOpsElf »

Hi, all. I am going to be posting the beginning my campaign, Where Angels Fear to Tread, Monday night, after I'm finished with the utils files and balancing the third scenario. First, though, I thought I'd post some of the images/recolors I'm using in the campaign, to see what you guys think of them. The first is a conversion of one of Ryorin's contributions to the art library. I decided that the sword didn't really fit my theme, and redid the flames on the hand to match. While I was at it, I figured I'd make some attack and defend animations. This is the God Hand, unmounted version (mounted version is going to be a conversion of Zookeeper's mounted soul hunter, but as they won't appear until the sixth scenario, I can afford to spend some more time on them.)
Attachments
I used this conversion to teach myself how to make transparent images in paintshop pro 8
I used this conversion to teach myself how to make transparent images in paintshop pro 8
god-hand-foot.png (3.17 KiB) Viewed 5324 times
the first part of the attack animation
the first part of the attack animation
god-hand-foot-attack-1.png (4.25 KiB) Viewed 5324 times
the second part of the attack animation
the second part of the attack animation
god-hand-foot-attack-2.png (4.35 KiB) Viewed 5324 times
I admit to using a picture tube to generate the basis for the defensive ray, as it came out better than it would have had I freehanded it
I admit to using a picture tube to generate the basis for the defensive ray, as it came out better than it would have had I freehanded it
god-hand-foot-defend.png (7.05 KiB) Viewed 5324 times
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Just to clarify, in the unlikely case that anyone would actually care: the soul hunter was drawn by neoriceisgood, and I just edited that one melee animation out of it.
BlackOpsElf

Post by BlackOpsElf »

This is a simple recolor of the new teamcolored Royal Guard units. My main character was one of Ashievere's bodyguards at the battle at Weldyn (last mission of HttT) who eventually winds up in a forest inhabited by fugitives and hermits. At the start of the scenario, he is a core member of the Brotherhood, an organization which guards the borders of the forest from outside threats (such as the Infernomancers and the God Hands.)

I also recolored the Jason Lutes portrait of the royal guard, chopping off the top of the hat and making the armor greyish-blackish. Additionally, I also recovered the Jason Lutes Human Bandit, so that I had a portrait for my other "this character cannot die" character, a modified version of the L3 Outlaw Ranger.
Attachments
the name of the character is Djarum, the name of the unit is Superior Swordsman
the name of the character is Djarum, the name of the unit is Superior Swordsman
black-swordsman.png (1.8 KiB) Viewed 5307 times
I like how this guy turned out
I like how this guy turned out
human-royalguard-jasonlutes-recolor.png (25.17 KiB) Viewed 5301 times
here is the defensive animation
here is the defensive animation
black-swordsman-defend.png (1.6 KiB) Viewed 5300 times
attack number two, I'm going to give this guy some AMLA options in a later update, maybe some extra attacks or a flat +5% defense increase to all?
attack number two, I'm going to give this guy some AMLA options in a later update, maybe some extra attacks or a flat +5% defense increase to all?
black-swordsman-attack2.png (3.08 KiB) Viewed 5300 times
I gave this guy slightly more hp than a regular Royal Guardsman, with better movement in forests and caves
I gave this guy slightly more hp than a regular Royal Guardsman, with better movement in forests and caves
black-swordsman-attack.png (1.96 KiB) Viewed 5300 times
BlackOpsElf

Post by BlackOpsElf »

zookeeper wrote:Just to clarify, in the unlikely case that anyone would actually care: the soul hunter was drawn by neoriceisgood, and I just edited that one melee animation out of it.
Ok, good to know, I'll put that on the list of credits I have handwritten next to my computer.
BlackOpsElf

Post by BlackOpsElf »

I am having a little trouble with this recolor. It should match up with the Level 3 Ranger unit images, but the colors are just too bright.
Attachments
too... much... blue...
too... much... blue...
human-bandit-jasonlutes-recolor.png (18.64 KiB) Viewed 5301 times
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

BlackOpsElf wrote:I am having a little trouble with this recolor. It should match up with the Level 3 Ranger unit images, but the colors are just too bright.
The parameter which you want to reduce, ONLY for that section (use a marquee loop or whatever to isolate it), is called saturation.
BlackOpsElf

Post by BlackOpsElf »

Jetryl wrote:
BlackOpsElf wrote:I am having a little trouble with this recolor. It should match up with the Level 3 Ranger unit images, but the colors are just too bright.
The parameter which you want to reduce, ONLY for that section (use a marquee loop or whatever to isolate it), is called saturation.
Thanks! This is how it turned out.
Attachments
human-bandit-jasonlutes-recolor.png
human-bandit-jasonlutes-recolor.png (18.99 KiB) Viewed 5210 times
Ryorin

Post by Ryorin »

Hey I did the original frames for that "God Hand" unit, it's okay if you use it.
Fear me! For I am higher level than you!
BlackOpsElf

Post by BlackOpsElf »

Ryorin wrote:Hey I did the original frames for that "God Hand" unit, it's okay if you use it.
Thanks, I'll be sure to credit you. With the neoriceisgood/zookeeper mounted unit, Ryorin's original Talon Knight unit (which I'm going to use for the named character in the sixth scenario, and call him the God Hand Arbiter) and my modifications of Ryorin's unit, that brings the faction up to 3 units, not including my minor modifications to the undead wose model to make their red eyes more noticable.

As for the Infernomancers, I'm using the image files of the demon and the fireghost from UtBS, and the Winged Demon from the chaos faction.
Sabata

Post by Sabata »

I like this "God hand" actually i made some modifications on him to use it on my campaing.

Hes one of the most powerfull units in my campaing. :)