Aragwaith portraits

Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Cuyo Quiz

Post by Cuyo Quiz »

Wow, i just noticed the aomunt of small charms this guy is holding. A ring, necklace, miniature dagger and cross, anf also a bag that is too small to actually hold some change. Heck, he has rings and a star on his glaive!.

I must ask, are there any special (background, concept, artistic) reasons for all of that?.
Cuyo Quiz,where madness meets me :D
Turn on, tune in, fall out.
"I know that, but every single person nags about how negative turin is; it should be in the FPI thread "Turin should give positive comments" =)"-Neorice,23 Sep 2004
wayfarer
Art Contributor

Post by wayfarer »

Jetryl wrote:
Darth Fool wrote:Awesome
[nitpick]
His right wrist looks like it would need to be made of plastic to get the hand and arm into that pose. It could be that this is a matter of perspective that with shading would be cleared up, but in the line drawing it looks a little odd. I would expect his hand to not come over so far.
[/nitpick]
The other arm is fine, but that arm is wrong.

The biggest thing, more than the wrist, is that the part of the arm that's foreshortened (the forearm) needs to have it's wrappings turned to reflect that!

They're still being drawn as though they're side-on. They, too, need to be foreshortened.
Yep there is something arkward. Though I must fix some issues with the weapon skirt too.
Cuyo Quiz wrote:Wow, i just noticed the aomunt of small charms this guy is holding. A ring, necklace, miniature dagger and cross, anf also a bag that is too small to actually hold some change. Heck, he has rings and a star on his glaive!.

I must ask, are there any special (background, concept, artistic) reasons for all of that?.
Yup their is a big idea behind all. The hawk emblem on both portraits stand for the Aragwaith. The small angel symbols are the badges every kind of fighting class gets. The brooch on both pics is a kind of medal which higher experienced fighters will get. So this will go though all portraits like a red line.

The main reason for the whole detailing is that I really dislike the idea of a generic Unit portrait (Though my personal opinion). So I want to give every unit some kind of history.For example the small bag is tied to his back so he doesn't get disturped while he moves and he can lie to the ground without any problems. Well probably he will carry some food, water and probably needle and pin in it to repair his equipment and something to eat on a battlefield is rare.

The daggers might be for emergencies actual I wanted to tie one to his boot as a weapon of last resort, you won't get old if you fight fair. The ring is on his ringfinger (even though rings aren't good if you are in a melee) so probably he might have got family perhaps children you are not 100% of your time at war. The cross stands for his believe. You can't see friends dieing or even kill others you don't even know without traces on your soul. Perhaps he hopes for pardon or just a better place when he dies. (I could have used any other symbol but still this one is the one I know the best). So most of his stuff is quite practical and very patched he has used it at least. The rings on the spear are just for show. Imagine you lie somewhere in the dark and you here a clatter which comes slowly nearer and you know you are in big trouble because he is coming.

The star on the lance perhaps the armourer was superstitious who knows?
This girl, this boy, They were part of the land. What happens to the places we used to tend?
She's a hard one to trust, And he's a roving ghost. Will you come back, will you come back, Or leave me alone?

-Ghost Fields
Zhukov
Art Contributor

Post by Zhukov »

I'm curious: will the final portrait show the whole guy, or just above the waist?
(Sorry, that wording is lousy. What I mean is: will it be like the Drake Glider portrait or like the Orc Grunt portrait?)

:D Oh, and I'm loving the background details.
Thrawn
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Thrawn »

I <3 wayfarer !!!

There is one problem for me--the head seems to be in the wrong place somehow...it irks me, becasue it looks wrong but I can't explain how...
...please remember that "IT'S" ALWAYS MEANS "IT IS" and "ITS" IS WHAT YOU USE TO INDICATE POSSESSION BY "IT".--scott

this goes for they're/their/there as well
wayfarer
Art Contributor

Post by wayfarer »

Small Update some fixes on the arm and finally i got around to lay the flats.
Last edited by wayfarer on November 16th, 2006, 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ranger M
Art Contributor

Post by Ranger M »

Nice, it looks better in colour, just needs shading now.
wayfarer
Art Contributor

Post by wayfarer »

Ranger M wrote:Nice, it looks better in colour, just needs shading now.
Mmmh well quick and dirty nothing special half an hour.

Though could be improved by adding further smaller detail shading and filling some color gaps.

The turitorial is quite good but not something I would stick to too much.
Last edited by wayfarer on November 16th, 2006, 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zhukov
Art Contributor

Post by Zhukov »

His right wrist still has issues.
charlieg

Post by charlieg »

Also the face doesn't look right. It's too sketchy. That kind of style looks good with the clothes because they fold, but faces don't fold so much. Features need to be enhanced with shading and subtle lines. Just look at some of Jetryl's work.

Still, it looks very very good now you've coloured it.
Free Gamer - free games compendium & commentary
FreeGameDev - free game development community
specops

Post by specops »

[realism nitpick]

There's no way that the recurve on a bow would be thicker than the limbs of a bow, let alone that thick. They're monstrous. :shock: And I'm not sure if the bow would when it's carried around, but I guess it's more recognizable when strung, so that stays.

[/realism nitpick]
wayfarer
Art Contributor

Post by wayfarer »

charlieg wrote:Also the face doesn't look right. It's too sketchy. That kind of style looks good with the clothes because they fold, but faces don't fold so much. Features need to be enhanced with shading and subtle lines. Just look at some of Jetryl's work.

Still, it looks very very good now you've coloured it.
I did it in half an hour.

A somewhat more time intensive try still work in progress, the backround is a sideproject and recycking of old stuff. I will but the finished portraits togehter on a kind of aged scroll. Black isn't the best backround
Last edited by wayfarer on November 16th, 2006, 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ryorin

Post by Ryorin »

Awesome......

BTW I love how you made a history for the character, it's pretty cool.
halleck

Post by halleck »

Umm... WOW. :shock:
Screw it... I can go without a sig.
Ranger M
Art Contributor

Post by Ranger M »

I second that WOW, and add that the shirt in particular rocks.
Woodwizzle

Post by Woodwizzle »

The line work is fantastic, but the shadding seems very very rough draft to me. Its all splotchy and follows the "general" contours of the image, not the "specefic" contours. There is no detail to the shading whatsoever wheras the linework is VERY detailed.
Signature dropped due to use of img tag