Aragwaith portraits

Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Woodwizzle wrote:The line work is fantastic, but the shadding seems very very rough draft to me. Its all splotchy and follows the "general" contours of the image, not the "specefic" contours. There is no detail to the shading whatsoever wheras the linework is VERY detailed.
This is very apt comment, and one which wayfarer would benefit greatly from following. Each separate fold of cloth has its own bits of light and shadow.
halleck

Post by halleck »

Woodwizzle wrote:The line work is fantastic, but the shadding seems very very rough draft to me. Its all splotchy and follows the "general" contours of the image, not the "specefic" contours. There is no detail to the shading whatsoever wheras the linework is VERY detailed.
I dont know.... I kinda like it that way. :|
Screw it... I can go without a sig.
wayfarer
Art Contributor

Post by wayfarer »

Jetryl wrote:
This is very apt comment, and one which wayfarer would benefit greatly from following. Each separate fold of cloth has its own bits of light and shadow.
Well I jumped from the cliff and to my own suprise I did fly :mrgreen: .

That said I know theoretical that folds get highlighted on the top it gets more difficult if you know that you must actual get rid of the black lines but without doing the whole pic from scratch.

In the end I took the last fifty metres without wings :| .

So I moved on and tried to build up some other things first.

I made a new try to see if it wasn't a accident.

And I must say though the stance and things I have in mind are quite difficult I succeded.

Still work in progress 30% finished.

Hints for possible flaws in the stance are welcome.
Last edited by wayfarer on November 16th, 2006, 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ranger M
Art Contributor

Post by Ranger M »

There is one major problem, the way that the cloak folds and his left shoulder suggest that the arm should be coming straight at you, but instead it looks like his arm goes off to our right a bit, so that it would be coming out from one of his pecks just below the neck (I think that the ones I'm thinking of ar pecks) or that his arm has been broken so that it is bending completely the wrong way.

I'm sorry to say that although you might be able to fix it by re-drawing the arm behind his hand, and make it look convincing (so that his finger and hand are not pointing the same direction as his arm) you may have to just re-draw the whole hand, which is a shame because it looks very good (better than I could do anyway). Or you could bring the top sides of the cloak in further towards the body, and fix the back of the neck and his chest so that it seems to be at more of an angle, making the arms position believable.

Aside from that, the rest gets my thumbs up as being another awesome Wayfarer piece of line art.
wayfarer
Art Contributor

Post by wayfarer »

50% percent finished and proud of it.
Last edited by wayfarer on November 16th, 2006, 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sgt. Groovy
Art Contributor

Post by Sgt. Groovy »

You might want to add some hair volume on top of the head, now it doesn't get any higher than top of his skull.

The neck is a bit thick and the chest-side outline bends the wrong way (mirror is your friend).

The fist is terribly flat (again mirror).

If that's a cut below the belt, blood doesn't flow like that on fabric, it gets soaked into it (it originates from under the clothes).
Tiedäthän kuinka pelataan.
Tiedäthän, vihtahousua vastaan.
Tiedäthän, solmu kravatin, se kantaa niin synnit
kuin syntien tekijätkin.
Boucman
Inactive Developer

Post by Boucman »

the problem with the hand is that he's ointing at the viewer's eye...

when pointing at someone, you usually point to his chest, not exactly to the eye
Fight key loggers: write some perl using vim
Vraven

Post by Vraven »

.. It doesn't seem that way to me at all; I assumed he was pointing to the side, somewhere on the field, commanding his troops..
wayfarer
Art Contributor

Post by wayfarer »

Uhh well no blood, I need another color to add some details (to get a better visual feedback). The blood and gore comes later. :lol:

Sgt. Groovy your points are valid. I'll take a look

Though the pointing of the hand it was intentional that he just encourage troops standing around him. As a side effect I wanted that it looks like he's screaming at the watcher (a little bit like Uncle Sam on some recruitment posters, the pic isn't finished yet I hope it will get clearer).
wayfarer
Art Contributor

Post by wayfarer »

Finished :|

Edit:

Deleted though cleare version
Last edited by wayfarer on September 28th, 2006, 8:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sgt. Groovy
Art Contributor

Post by Sgt. Groovy »

You need to decide which way the wind is blowing. Or has he been caught in whirlwind?
kuin syntien tekijätkin.
wayfarer
Art Contributor

Post by wayfarer »

Well kind of trademark, since I did sprites and all. :roll:
It's more a shot on the move but well it looks cool.
Darth Fool
Retired Developer

Post by Darth Fool »

I am assuming that the red thing on the flag is supposed to be some sort of icon painted on the flag, and not something hanging in front of it. If the latter, I have no idea what it is, but if the former, it needs to be warped to conform to the bends in the flag. As per usual, this looks really cool!
wayfarer
Art Contributor

Post by wayfarer »

Well in black all blends better together than in two colors. It looks more folded.

For those who are intersted the original icon.Stretched and rotated in the pic of course.

Well I'll make a small break from the Aragwaith and as I like small buggers draw some dwarves again, though not really Wesnoth related 8)
Last edited by wayfarer on November 16th, 2006, 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sgt. Groovy
Art Contributor

Post by Sgt. Groovy »

The problem is that the image has long straight lines, so the non-bending is very easy to spot. If you're using gimp, you can do the bending easily with Filters -> Distorts -> Curve Bend. I'm sure other programs have similar tools.
kuin syntien tekijätkin.