Aragwaith portraits

Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Oreb

Post by Oreb »

Wayfarer, these are masterpieces

With the picture viewing problem I can acess Wayfarer's by using the link but Kestenevarn's doesn't work for me

Also, Nice emoticon (Time to take back the Web)
I am Oreb, Lord of the Darthien
Give your comments to the World of Orbivm
tatmf
Art Contributor

I might say something rude here

Post by tatmf »

I might say something rude here, but the picture doesn't feel right to me. Details are fine, the whole idea is good too.

In fact, I guess those clothes hiding the body prevented you from seeing where her members began. Therefore, I wonder where they're supposed to be connected to the body.

My advice would be to make a stick-figure / dummy sketch*. This should help you improve your shading too.
*I'm French, I hope my explanation makes sense

Shortening her members can be done from there, without restarting from scratch.
TATMF --- with an A as in Art
wayfarer
Art Contributor

Post by wayfarer »

Wonderfull two comments I can't really understand.
Alks wrote:He does make certain impression. Some kind of relief I'm sitting in a moderate climate zone, not in a desert, where I could meet him and unconsciously say something bad about something his mother.
I can accept that he might not be equipped for the desert but well the rest lies in the dark. If you mean that he looks to calm, well he looks as angry as a person without a face is able.
tatmf wrote:I might say something rude here, but the picture doesn't feel right to me. Details are fine, the whole idea is good too.

In fact, I guess those clothes hiding the body prevented you from seeing where her members began. Therefore, I wonder where they're supposed to be connected to the body.

My advice would be to make a stick-figure / dummy sketch*. This should help you improve your shading too.
*I'm French, I hope my explanation makes sense

Shortening her members can be done from there, without restarting from scratch.
Members. My dictionary says something about people being part of a group.
Do you mean the chest. Well I avoid my sketches like the devil holy water there was a dummy sketch but I got rid of him as fast as I could.

For Example this is one of my cleanest pencil sketches

http://img336.imageshack.us/img336/6296 ... rpglc0.png

Though you are right but this one will get some other updates the emblem still needs some works and a few other things.
This girl, this boy, They were part of the land. What happens to the places we used to tend?
She's a hard one to trust, And he's a roving ghost. Will you come back, will you come back, Or leave me alone?

-Ghost Fields
Ranger M
Art Contributor

Post by Ranger M »

wayfarer wrote:Members. My dictionary says something about people being part of a group.
Do you mean the chest. Well I avoid my sketches like the devil holy water there was a dummy sketch but I got rid of him as fast as I could.
Members, in this case, means limbs (arms and legs).
Alks

Post by Alks »

wayfarer wrote:Wonderfull two comments I can't really understand.
Alks wrote:He does make certain impression. Some kind of relief I'm sitting in a moderate climate zone, not in a desert, where I could meet him and unconsciously say something bad about something his mother.
I can accept that he might not be equipped for the desert but well the rest lies in the dark. If you mean that he looks to calm, well he looks as angry as a person without a face is able.
Nah...
Totally the other way. He looks well, he has that certain advantage(for me, dark-fantasy fan) that he looks really intimidating and has this mystique feeling. It's masterpiece, like the Oreb said, though I'll wait till he is finished to give full comments.
tatmf
Art Contributor

Post by tatmf »

Ranger M wrote:
wayfarer wrote:Members. My dictionary says something about people being part of a group.
Members, in this case, means limbs (arms and legs).
Thanks.
In short I feel her arms/legs are either misplaced or too long.

Why did you think I was talking about her chest anyway?
TATMF --- with an A as in Art
wayfarer
Art Contributor

Post by wayfarer »

tatmf wrote:
Ranger M wrote: Members, in this case, means limbs (arms and legs).
Thanks.
In short I feel her arms/legs are either misplaced or too long.

Why did you think I was talking about her chest anyway?
Call it natural suspicion :roll:
Though thanks for the hint.

Base sketch finished no only the detailing must be finished. (I count the face as a damned important detail but it is one of the hardest parts)
About fantasy yeah I like it if the hero isn't far away from the evil guys just because nothing is just black and and white.

Not to forget that the evil ones just got a better taste at clothes :P
Last edited by wayfarer on November 16th, 2006, 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
freim
Retired Terrain Art Director

Post by freim »

These are quite cool :)
Eternal
Art Contributor

Post by Eternal »

This is truly good. :D
But I suggest you either move his head and neck a bit right... or give his face a really dead expression, your choice. :wink:
I wish I had more time in my hands.
Zhukov
Art Contributor

Post by Zhukov »

Excuse me while I rub the dazzle from my eyes.

That. Is. Awesome.

(Right with you on the not black-and-white.)
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

:) As I've said before, your natural sense for costuming is better than mine.
wayfarer
Art Contributor

Post by wayfarer »

Eternal wrote:This is truly good. :D
But I suggest you either move his head and neck a bit right... or give his face a really dead expression, your choice. :wink:
Well right though I Like the overall optic though as I created the unit I had a reminiscence to the grim reaper in my mind.

So finished but not entirely happy with it

The coloring will wait a while though.
Last edited by wayfarer on November 16th, 2006, 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Darth Fool
Retired Developer

Post by Darth Fool »

Awesome
[nitpick]
His right wrist looks like it would need to be made of plastic to get the hand and arm into that pose. It could be that this is a matter of perspective that with shading would be cleared up, but in the line drawing it looks a little odd. I would expect his hand to not come over so far.
[/nitpick]
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Darth Fool wrote:Awesome
[nitpick]
His right wrist looks like it would need to be made of plastic to get the hand and arm into that pose. It could be that this is a matter of perspective that with shading would be cleared up, but in the line drawing it looks a little odd. I would expect his hand to not come over so far.
[/nitpick]
The other arm is fine, but that arm is wrong.

The biggest thing, more than the wrist, is that the part of the arm that's foreshortened (the forearm) needs to have it's wrappings turned to reflect that!

They're still being drawn as though they're side-on. They, too, need to be foreshortened.
Zhukov
Art Contributor

Post by Zhukov »

*takes a moment to gawk at cool drawing*