My art need critics

Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
irrevenant
Moderator Emeritus

Post by irrevenant »

appleide wrote:They all look very good! The only problem (besides those big weapons, for example the guy holding that lance-like sword... and the other huge swords held on the first page.), is that all the faces look the same, this makes them a little too alilke to each other, as the most differentiating aspect between different people are their faces. Eg, when you think about your relatives/classmates/colleagues you think of their faces.
Sorry, Appleide, but I don't think this is good advice.

Certainly you differentiate your friends by their faces but (unlike in Wesnoth) you're not limited to seeing them from 100 metres above their heads!

I'm not saying that variation in facial features is a bad idea, but it is probably the least significant way to differentiate a Wesnoth unit (after clothing & armour, weapon, hairstyle/headgear, stance etc.). Wesnoth faces only take about 20 pixels; there's not much room for differentiation.
Gale

Post by Gale »

magician, hows about that?
Attachments
please give constructive critics
please give constructive critics
magician.png (3.09 KiB) Viewed 5742 times
Flametrooper

Post by Flametrooper »

Well, he looks like a trick-performing magician rather than a real wizrd/magic user, and his shoulders/cape are just weird...the cape should go behind the body not in front of it.
hey.
Gale

Post by Gale »

Flametrooper wrote:Well, he looks like a trick-performing magician rather than a real wizrd/magic user, and his shoulders/cape are just weird...the cape should go behind the body not in front of it.
yeah thats what i want, now for the real wizard
Attachments
please give constructive critics maybe the color
please give constructive critics maybe the color
wizard.png (3.18 KiB) Viewed 5735 times
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Flametrooper wrote:...the cape should go behind the body not in front of it.
This is absolutely bogus, flametrooper. Many people wear capes that go in front of the body as well, and in fact the more old and practical ones were designed with that express purpose - designed to wrap around the body to keep it warm.

Consider the classic "Dracula Cape".

Almost no articles of clothing were created without having some utilitarian purpose - they may have become purely decorative over time, but their original use was not. Ties, for example, evolved from short lengths of cloth (of which french lace was a much earlier permutation) used to tie the neck of one's not-so-perfectly-fitting shirt closed. Buttons and such were not easy to make at all back then (and hideously difficult to make fastening points for, since you basically have to embroider the entire edge of the hole the button goes through to keep it strong, and doing so without a machine is... tough). A much easier solution, simply taking a short length of cloth, and tying it provided both a seal to keep in warmth, as well as a bit of insulation for the place where the two halves of one's coat met. The modern tie is entirely useless, but what it evolved from was not.

There are other examples, but this is one of the most prominent. Suffice it to say that, despite what you might think from watching superhero movies like "The Incrediblesâ„¢" - capes did not first come into being as decoration.
Tomsik

Post by Tomsik »

magican/wizard: will he even fit in hex? :? He's way too big IMO.
highhole

Post by highhole »

give him nightstalk :P
Copybass

Post by Copybass »

Shoulders> Just fine
Cape> Great
Hat> Oh god, no :P

I think he looks like he'd be a good Vampie Slayer, actually... Give him the cool hat and you'd have a perfect one :D
Last edited by Copybass on May 6th, 2006, 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mille
Art Contributor

Nice

Post by Mille »

I like him:)
Gale wrote:magician, hows about that?
Dragon Master

Post by Dragon Master »

I like his top hat better. Mostly because his "wizard hat" is just a different colored cut and paste job. Other than that he's pretty cool.
appleide

Post by appleide »

irrevenant wrote:
appleide wrote:They all look very good! The only problem (besides those big weapons, for example the guy holding that lance-like sword... and the other huge swords held on the first page.), is that all the faces look the same, this makes them a little too alilke to each other, as the most differentiating aspect between different people are their faces. Eg, when you think about your relatives/classmates/colleagues you think of their faces.
Sorry, Appleide, but I don't think this is good advice.

Certainly you differentiate your friends by their faces but (unlike in Wesnoth) you're not limited to seeing them from 100 metres above their heads!
In every single Mainline faction except Drakes (Thats why I get mixed up between burner and Fighter sometimes.), each unit have their heads differentiated. For example, Dwarvish Fighterm Thunder, Guardsman, berserker and the rest all have different heads to show they are in different unit lines. it is only alright to use same heads between different levels of the same unit, eg Cavalier and Cavalry. And it is not so good at all between Elvish Fighter and Captain.
Why did the fish laugh? Because the sea weed.