Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Kurumim

Kurumin's Portraits

Post by Kurumim »

Actual first post
Spoiler:
••••
Editted post
Hi everyone, im a huge fan of the Wesnoth game, and it inspired me as a child, so when i find time i make portraits and post'em here.

As for right now i'm trying to create a faction of nordic/barbarians/vikings elves, with no pretension at all, since i dont know how to code or make sprites, its just something i make for fun. If you want to use'em in any of your wesnothian-stuff thats okay, just let me know here in the topic or through pm. Also, if you like my art, please check out my Instagram.
••••
Hunter Girl:
Last edited by Kurumim on May 5th, 2019, 11:27 pm, edited 8 times in total.
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Re: Kurumin's Portraits

Post by Pentarctagon »

The Art Contributions forum is for if you are submitting art to potentially be included in Wesnoth itself, therefore I've moved this to Art Workshop forum instead.
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
Kurumim

Post by Kurumim »

Pentarctagon wrote: January 14th, 2019, 7:41 am The Art Contributions forum is for if you are submitting art to potentially be included in Wesnoth itself, therefore I've moved this to Art Workshop forum instead.
Thanks <3 sorry about that.
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

That is a really good portrait! Wow I am impressed! :D The left hand looks like it is in an slightly odd angle but other than that it is very well drawn!

Also I like the unique weapon he is wielding!
Kurumim

Post by Kurumim »

The_Gnat wrote: January 14th, 2019, 7:44 am That is a really good portrait! Wow I am impressed! :D The left hand looks like it is in an slightly odd angle but other than that it is very well drawn!

Also I like the unique weapon he is wielding!
Thanks, haha. i really struggle with doing hands but i'll get it right sometime. ;)
ghype

Post by ghype »

is that a portrait for an existing unit? if yes, for which?

the tattoo on the left hand leeks too unnatural, its borders are too sharp. maybe wash them more out.
great portrait otherwise
Kurumim

Post by Kurumim »

ghype wrote: January 14th, 2019, 8:12 am is that a portrait for an existing unit? if yes, for which?

the tattoo on the left hand leeks too unnatural, its borders are too sharp. maybe wash them more out.
great portrait otherwise
It isnt! haha, its just an idea to a unit/race that i had in mind ;) . And thanks about the tip on the tattoos, i hadn't really thought about it before ;) .
ghype

Post by ghype »

to give you more feedback since i want to encourage you keep doing these.
the hair, the face generally, the embellishments on armour just like the rest of armour and the eye tattoos are very well done.

I don't find the hands bad either as it was stated earlier.

what you should improve is the weapon shafts and the axe blade especially. The blade still doesn't look quite the same quality like the rest. The upper weapon shaft looks also slightly bent. If you fix these things and the tattoos and clean up the outline , this would be some high quality portrait in my opinion.

I don't know if you do sprites as well but if you need any help or someone doing sprites for your portraits, i'd be glad to help where I can. Doing Viking sprites woudl be especially easy since I have done an entire faction of vikings already as you can see in this post
BTIsaac

Post by BTIsaac »

You know the elves of the Silent Forest live way up north, and I like the idea that they could be more on the barbaric side, considering who their ancestors were and what they did in the past. If they spent several generations up there, this could end up being them.
Kurumim

Post by Kurumim »

BTIsaac wrote: January 14th, 2019, 1:14 pm You know the elves of the Silent Forest live way up north, and I like the idea that they could be more on the barbaric side, considering who their ancestors were and what they did in the past. If they spent several generations up there, this could end up being them.
I really dont remember, but i do like the idea. Where do they appear or are quoted in the game?
ghype wrote: January 14th, 2019, 1:01 pm to give you more feedback since i want to encourage you keep doing these.
the hair, the face generally, the embellishments on armour just like the rest of armour and the eye tattoos are very well done.

I don't find the hands bad either as it was stated earlier.

what you should improve is the weapon shafts and the axe blade especially. The blade still doesn't look quite the same quality like the rest. The upper weapon shaft looks also slightly bent. If you fix these things and the tattoos and clean up the outline , this would be some high quality portrait in my opinion.

I don't know if you do sprites as well but if you need any help or someone doing sprites for your portraits, i'd be glad to help where I can. Doing Viking sprites woudl be especially easy since I have done an entire faction of vikings already as you can see in this post
I'll sure try to add/fix the things u quoted, and post here as soon as i finish. I guess i got really tired when i got to the axe painting part.

I wish i knew how to do sprites/pixel art, but i dont even know where to start learning, is there a progam or something or you make'em in photoshop? anyway, i looked into your viking faction and it looks awesome! it would be really nice to have your help, if you have the time.
ghype

Post by ghype »

most people use gimp and I heard of some doing their art in pain (but maybe thats just a rumor)
personally I work with photoshop since it got all these extra tools which speed up some processes without constraining the creative flow.

glad you liked them,
you don't have to do a faction though, your portrait would fit just as much for a hero or smthn.
BTIsaac

Post by BTIsaac »

Kurumim wrote: January 14th, 2019, 11:21 pm I really dont remember, but i do like the idea. Where do they appear or are quoted in the game?
They are the elves fought in SotBE. Their ancestors were Landar's elves, who serve as the antagonists in LoW and SoF.
Aldarisvet
Translator

Post by Aldarisvet »

BTIsaac wrote: January 14th, 2019, 1:14 pm You know the elves of the Silent Forest live way up north, and I like the idea that they could be more on the barbaric side, considering who their ancestors were and what they did in the past. If they spent several generations up there, this could end up being them.
BTIsaac wrote: January 15th, 2019, 4:56 pm They are the elves fought in SotBE. Their ancestors were Landar's elves, who serve as the antagonists in LoW and SoF.
In my campaign I created a faction of dark elves who supposed to be ancestors of Landar's elves.
They are living in caves under Mountains of Haag in huge underground mushroom forests.
They have Sporelings instead of Woses as additional unit to their faction.
And I simply took old sprites of Desert Elves from UtBS (which are recolored ordinary eles), since no demand in these sprites anymore because we have new sprites of Desert Elves in 1.14 for UtBS. Made them to have high defence in mushroom tiles and 1 movement cost through mushrooms. Literally giant mushrooms substituted trees for them. And a color of these elves fits good to color of mushroom terrain images in the game.

I called them Mushroom Elves :lol: :lol: :lol:
facebook.com/wesnothian/ - everyday something new about Wesnoth
My campaign:A Whim of Fate, also see it's prequel Zombies:Introduction
Art thread:Mostly frankenstains
BTIsaac

Post by BTIsaac »

Aldarisvet wrote: January 18th, 2019, 1:07 pm In my campaign I created a faction of dark elves who supposed to be ancestors of Landar's elves.
You mean descendants.
TrashMan

Post by TrashMan »

Kurumim wrote: January 14th, 2019, 7:38 am
I really liek it. I know bearded elves aren't common, but it gives them a more serious flare. Especially like the body posture and expression.
Light travels much faster than sound, that's why some people seem bright until you hear them speak.

>>> MY LITTLE LAB! <<<