Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
TenshiNoYami

Beta Portrait for One of My Sub-Leader

Post by TenshiNoYami »

Hi,

I would like to post the "beta" version of this portrait. I would like to know if it's acceptable (I've seen worse, but IDK), or inappropiate, etc.
Any suggestion would help.
Note: She is a Shapeshifter (working title), elven unit, basically when she moves, she transforms into an owl (she has a MP of 8 ), that's why the hair, the tattoos, hair band have something owly. :)
Attachments
Wesnoth_portrait_transparent.png
Wesnoth_portrait_transparent.png (31.75 KiB) Viewed 3071 times
BTIsaac

Re: Beta Portrait for One of My Sub-Leader

Post by BTIsaac »

Well, it looks okay. Not sure about the technical side (file size, image size, etc)
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

BTIsaac wrote:Not sure about the technical side (file size, image size, etc)
The image does seem a bit small. Final image should be about 400x400px - 500x500px, working file should be ~2X or 3X that, at least. The 205x205px images were used in older BfW versions, but are not needed going forward.

I'll hold off on any art critiques until you have a bigger image, but as far as design, do you think the head-gear would look better if it were more of a helmet than a tiara? If the owl "horns" were part of a helmet-like headgear, going over her forehead, it could be interesting. Right now, they seem like something she picked up at the last minute from CVS, on her way to a Halloween party.
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
Wussel

Post by Wussel »

Looking good to me. I believe these additional things are fake ears to make her look owl-like.

You might end up using a mirror image since the picture will be in the lower left corner. I would recommend a cut off line a lot lower for the picture. Basically below the buttock or even somewhere above the knee.

Publishing on 400x400 canvas and working on at least 800x800 should be fine. I am not sure how digital your approach to art is. Maybe you work on paper and scan the result? Just guessing. Personally I like line work on paper and digital colors for my own endeavors.