Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
GunChleoc
Translator

Re: Stock art use for Wesnoth

Post by GunChleoc »

If he is asking for non-commercial, the GPL is out of the question. It will have to be one of the CC-NC licenses.

It would be easiest for everybody if he used this link: https://creativecommons.org/choose/ to pick a license.
Wussel

Post by Wussel »

Again. Please read. Contemplate. (The link above too).

This is stock to use by artist to make art.
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

Wussel wrote:Again. Please read. Contemplate. (The link above too).

This is stock to use by artist to make art.
Wussel, you need to get the artist's explicit permission to use his art under a specific license, since his art must be placed under a specific license when uploaded to Wesnoth's add-ons server. This isn't a matter of opinion, or a negotiation - this is what you must do. If you can't, or won't, do that, then you cannot use his art in add-ons uploaded to the add-ons server.
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
BTIsaac

Post by BTIsaac »

Am I missing something? That post clearly asked "Is it okay if we use it with this license" and he was like "K, sure." Is this one of those cases where he needs to give an english-class style full sentence as a response?

Hang on. Don't stuff uploaded to DA get posted with a licence? I never really cared about stuff because i don't know anything about copyright, and I rarely wory about people stealing my work.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

BTIsaac wrote:I never really cared about stuff because i don't know anything about copyright, and I rarely wory about people stealing my work.
So then you don't need to weigh in on this.

Pentarctagon's last post was clear. Wussel can respond with something equally clear. Let's just leave it at that, alright?
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
BTIsaac

Post by BTIsaac »

I'm just curious as to what's unclear about this:
Wussel wrote:Did anybody of you guys read this announcement by any chance? If you did, please re-read it and contemplate on the meaning of it.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=46093

Since you are asking, I wrote:
"I really like your work! Just downloading a few files. I am wondering if you work could be used for terrains for an open source game called Wesnoth.

There are a few things to know: They want art published by GPL or CC License.

It seems to be non commercial and give credit, as you are asking.

Second thingy is: They follow an iso like perspective. 3 to the side and 2 up. Basically iso-art has to be stretched and changes its shape due to that.

Many of your stock pieces are not iso perspective at all. For things like stones and trees perspective can be faked by distortion and twisting.

Terrain art will be scaled down extremely. You might not recognize the original anymore. A house would have to fit into 72x72 pixel.

How you feel about getting your work utilized like that?"

He wrote:
"Yes OK use it if you like."

Did the exact wording make you feel better by any means?
Does the artist need to give a full sentence response, as in
"Yes, I give my express permission for use of my work in Battle for Wesnoth under license XYZ." ?
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

BTIsaac wrote:Does the artist need to give a full sentence response, as in
"Yes, I give my express permission for use of my work in Battle for Wesnoth under license XYZ." ?
Yes. Partially because it's not up to the person using the art what license said art should be licensed under regardless of whether or not blanket permission was given, and partially because blanket permissions are ambiguous. For example, "They want art published by GPL or CC License" - that technically includes CC0(public domain), which could very easily not be what the artist really intended.
BTIsaac

Post by BTIsaac »

Doesn't "stock art" technically mean that it was made with the express intent of being public domain? If it wasn't made with that intention, then the artist wouldn't be calling it that.
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

BTIsaac wrote:Doesn't "stock art" technically mean that it was made with the express intent of being public domain? If it wasn't made with that intention, then the artist wouldn't be calling it that.
Except then there's the problem that the artist here has indicated that they want to be credited, which CC0 doesn't require you do, not to mention that neither the GPL nor any of the other CC licenses are public domain licenses.
Wussel

Post by Wussel »

Again.

I would decide for a license for my art. I would use his stock with his permission.

Is there any need for legal councelling?

If he would be angry (which he would not because he gave permission), he would have to sent me a cease and desist letter?

Maybe you should check with your lawyer?

I am under the impression, that he gave permission to use GPL or CC license? Please check that too, if you bug your lawyer.
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

Wussel wrote:Again.

I would decide for a license for my art. I would use his stock with his permission.

Is there any need for legal councelling?

If he would be angry (which he would not because he gave permission), he would have to sent me a cease and desist letter?

Maybe you should check with your lawyer?

I am under the impression, that he gave permission to use GPL or CC license? Please check that too, if you bug your lawyer.
Wussel, I thought I had made my position clear, but let me state it one more time.

You must get the artist's permission to place his work under a specific license. End of story.

If it is discovered that you uploaded an add-on containing his art without doing this, your add-on will be removed from the add-ons server.
Wussel

Post by Wussel »

I do see a misunderstanding concerning the use of stock art.

Due to substantial changes by an other artist the art which is utilizing stock art becomes the art of the creator. Please take legal council in your jurisdiction.

By the way I am pretty sure that 3d artists do not create every texture from scratch by themselves. Nobody seems to harass them? Why do you think this is so?

I do understand that there are people who dislike the use of CC. This decision was made elsewhere without discussion. This thread is not the place to fight this already lost battle belated.
GunChleoc
Translator

Post by GunChleoc »

Wussel wrote:By the way I am pretty sure that 3d artists do not create every texture from scratch by themselves. Nobody seems to harass them? Why do you think this is so?
Not true, e.g. if you contribute textures to 0AD, they need to be under a compatible license.

The problem is that the original artist doesn't want his work used commercially, but also said that he was fine with the GPL. That's a contradiction, so he probably didn't understand your question properly.
BTIsaac

Post by BTIsaac »

That, or licences are confusing.