What is the WML Workshop?

The place to post your WML questions and answers.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
  • Please use [code] BBCode tags in your posts for embedding WML snippets.
  • To keep your code readable so that others can easily help you, make sure to indent it following our conventions.
scott

What is the WML Workshop?

Post by scott »

You are welcome to post any WML-related question here, even if they pertain to a campaign or map that you're working on.

If this is you:
"How do I..."
"Can you help me debug..."
"In my campaign, I am trying to..."
"On my map, I want to..."
"Can you add the following to WML..."
"I need help getting my campaign.cfg file working..."
Then you're in the right place.

The campaign forum is the proper place to discuss plot, characters, bugs, balancing, and yes, how WML is used in scenarios. But, if you are in the campaigns forum and find yourself wanting a stand-alone thread about a WML issue, bring it here!

We hope to have a usergroup of WML experts who can provide answers and this gives them a central place to look.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
La_vie_en_Wose
Translator

Post by La_vie_en_Wose »

Thanks a lot.
As every living soul on earth isn't english native or computer native, I am surprise to read "What's a WML workshop ?" without the response.
What does WML means ?
Thanks a lot 2.

"The one who asks a questions looks stupid five minutes, the one who doesn't is stupid".
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

La_vie_en_Wose wrote:What does WML means ?
Wesnoth Markup Language. The language that's used to write new unit types, scenarios, campaigns, themes - almost all of the actual content in the game.
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

Anyone who uses WML very often should bookmark this page: http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/ReferenceWML

Before posting your question, you can check the reference to see if it already has a simple explanation.
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/User:Sapient... "Looks like your skills saved us again. Uh, well at least, they saved Soarin's apple pie."
toms

Post by toms »

There should be links to forum threads in the wiki pages for more info and examples.
First read, then think. Read again, think again. And then post!
Mathijs

Post by Mathijs »

toms wrote:There should be links to forum threads in the wiki pages for more info and examples.
It would be more useful (and practical as the forums are subject to depreciation and sometimes loss of data) to have, for each page in the reference, a page with examples. Called EventWMLExamples for instance. Then every page could have a little sentence like this:
For examples on this see [[EventWMLExamples]]

This would free the reference itself from becoming clutterd with code and yet it would provide this code, with enough comments!

It would on the other hand, also mean that all of the pages in the wiki would double. So perhaps doing this only for the more complex tags (like [Event]) it would be a good idea?

mat
Viliam
Translator

Post by Viliam »

I think examples are very necessary, because they help user if the explanation is difficult to understand... and for a beginner it may be confusing. And also it is easier to copy-n-paste the example to one's code, and then modify the details.
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

I'd rather have things so that people could always look at the mainline campaigns as an example. If you need to know how [store_locations] works, you can just grep/search the core data directories for [store_locations] and look how it's used. Examples in the wiki are ok, but someone would still have to write them.
Mathijs

Post by Mathijs »

zookeeper wrote:I'd rather have things so that people could always look at the mainline campaigns as an example. ...
Having examples in the wiki doesn't mean you can't look for more inside the mainline campaigns. I would even put this as a note on those example pages. If that's your way of doing it, sure, but some like the guidance of a wiki. It would also be good as an example for preferred indentation/hierarchy of the code/readability/...

As for me, I prefer not to interfere too much with the mainline campaigns as they work, and I'd like to keep it that way. There's always this small chance you screw things up by accident (or stupidity :P ). (And yeah, you can restrict your permissions, and you could make back-ups, but that's more work. Putting an example on the wiki saves work for many people.)

anyway, would you stop me (and perhaps others) from adding some pages to the reference with example code concerning those specific tags? I'm not going to be crazy about it, because I don't have the time :D

greetz!
Jovycos

Re: What is the WML Workshop?

Post by Jovycos »

I think this site is more clearly arranged.
A few things like new abilities and rpg-like character-advancement aren't used very often in the official campaigns.
Examples would be useful or links to an addon.
Full of Nerdiness...
Implementor37

Re: What is the WML Workshop?

Post by Implementor37 »

There is also a partially-complete WML Tutorial which would be helpful to the WML newcomer. Note that it is a work-in-progress and that some sections are more complete than others, but it does exist. The ReferenceWML page, while extremely helpful to those who already understand WML, can be confusing to beginners.
Author of End of the Legion, available now on the 1.12 and 1.13 servers!
Supporter of the addition of the Aragwaithi into mainline.