Question About AMLA

The place to post your WML questions and answers.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
  • Please use [code] BBCode tags in your posts for embedding WML snippets.
  • To keep your code readable so that others can easily help you, make sure to indent it following our conventions.
quartex
Inactive Developer

Question About AMLA

Post by quartex »

How does AMLA work exactly? I looked for a Wiki help page on it, but didn't find anything. I've been having some problems when I am implementing AMLA in the cutom units in my campaign. Specifically when a maxed out unit levels up, it is given two upgrade options (Unit Type + 3HP and Unit Type +3 HP), both identital. I can't figure out why the player is asked to pick between these two upgrade options. Obviously in the unit definition, I indicate that the "advanceto=null". This happens with all my custom units that I have added AMLA to.

I have also heard then some units level up using AMLA they suddenly lose huge amounts of hitpoints. ie new unit has a max of 35 hitpoints, while the old one had 60.

I do tend to have lots of duplicate definitions, but each one is a different unit type, so I don't think there should be any confusion.

I'm not a huge fan of AMLA, so the easiest solution is just to disable it. But I know some players really like the feature, so I want to try to get it to work.
Darth Fool
Retired Developer

Re: Question About AMLA

Post by Darth Fool »

quartex wrote:How does AMLA work exactly? I looked for a Wiki help page on it, but didn't find anything. I've been having some problems when I am implementing AMLA in the cutom units in my campaign. Specifically when a maxed out unit levels up, it is given two upgrade options (Unit Type + 3HP and Unit Type +3 HP), both identital. I can't figure out why the player is asked to pick between these two upgrade options. Obviously in the unit definition, I indicate that the "advanceto=null". This happens with all my custom units that I have added AMLA to.
Could you post a sample unit cfg file as an example? The most likely cause is having doubled the [advancement] tags in the unit cfg. If you have more than one [advancement] tag, then the player gets to choose which one he wants.
I have also heard then some units level up using AMLA they suddenly lose huge amounts of hitpoints. ie new unit has a max of 35 hitpoints, while the old one had 60.
I have not heard that. Would be very interesting to see.
I do tend to have lots of duplicate definitions, but each one is a different unit type, so I don't think there should be any confusion.

I'm not a huge fan of AMLA, so the easiest solution is just to disable it. But I know some players really like the feature, so I want to try to get it to work.
claus

Post by claus »

quartex wrote:Specifically when a maxed out unit levels up, it is given two upgrade options (Unit Type + 3HP and Unit Type +3 HP), both identital. I can't figure out why the player is asked to pick between these two upgrade options. Obviously in the unit definition, I indicate that the "advanceto=null". This happens with all my custom units that I have added AMLA to.
For example the Desert Champion uses {AMLA_TOUGH 3} twice. (one is after advanceto=null and one before [/unit]). Once is enough to add it, two [advancement] tags and the player can choose which one he wants, even if they have the same effect.
quartex
Inactive Developer

Post by quartex »

Thanks claus, that was the problem. I had removed it before becuase I thought it was causing crashes. So later I added it back in without realizing I had added it once already.
mpolo

Post by mpolo »

Darth Fool wrote:
quartex wrote: I have also heard then some units level up using AMLA they suddenly lose huge amounts of hitpoints. ie new unit has a max of 35 hitpoints, while the old one had 60.
I have not heard that. Would be very interesting to see.
I've only seen it in UTBS, and it's not their maximum, but their current hitpoints that go down, at least for me. For instance, this happened to me with Kaleh and Grog -- maybe it has to do with the fact that they had way over 100 XPs (before quartex had the AMLA at 500 XPs). When Kaleh leveled, his max went up by three, but his current hitpoints dropped to like 30 out of 70 (instead of the 65 or so that he had before AMLA).