Ready to publish but need help

The place to post your WML questions and answers.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
  • Please use [code] BBCode tags in your posts for embedding WML snippets.
  • To keep your code readable so that others can easily help you, make sure to indent it following our conventions.
hyper_cubed

Ready to publish but need help

Post by hyper_cubed »

Hey all,

I am reading that I can associate feedback with my mod. This requires a topic ID. Do I need to create a page for my mod first and then use that to get my topic id? I feel a little chicken and egg here and would like to know what others have done.

Been working on an AMLA mod for about a half year now and I am ready to publish. Problem is, I don't really know what to do.

I know I need to make a _server.pbl file with some code in it, I found an example on the wiki. Where in the forum do I create the page to get the topic ID fro the feedback?

Once I do that, do I just upload it with the addon server once I drop the _server.pbl file next to my _main.cfg?

Code: Select all

title="My Campaign"
type="campaign"
icon="misc/ball.png"
version="0.1.2"
author="Me, artwork by myself"
passphrase="This is like a password; see the security note in the documentation above before choosing a value of your own"
description="You get to kill a lot of bad guys. But only the first map is done."
email="name@example.com"
[feedback]
    topic_id=12345
[/feedback]
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Re: Ready to publish but need help

Post by Pentarctagon »

The topic ID is just from the t=XXXXX from the url. So this thread's topic ID would be 48948.
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
enclave

Post by enclave »

yeah as Pentarctagon mentioned the topic id is the topic id of any topic..
and I would advise to create it somewhere in either "Gameplay Feedback" (Organized feedback topics for mainline and user-made content.)
or i don't really know where... see what is more appropriate.. if its wrong then moderators will probably just move it somewhere else..
try follow hyperlink of any other era.. see where it gets you..

The _server.pbl next to _main.cfg thats correct. Once you complete your server.pbl you will be able to publish.

PS. you can exclude topic id if you like... its not mandatory as far as i know.
josteph
Inactive Developer

Post by josteph »

It's not mandatory, but I'd say it's recommended. Without it it will be hard for players to give feedback.

About the chicken and egg problem, what I did is upload the addon, start thread, add topic id to pbl and upload again. It took two minutes.
gnombat

Post by gnombat »

josteph wrote: October 16th, 2018, 5:45 pm About the chicken and egg problem, what I did is upload the addon, start thread, add topic id to pbl and upload again. It took two minutes.
I'm not an add-on author, but that seems to me like an awkward way of doing it (and I can understand why hyper_cubed would be confused about it) - what if your add-on is 100 MB and you have a slow internet connection?

Is it not possible to create the thread first, and then upload the add-on?
josteph
Inactive Developer

Post by josteph »

That'd work too. In either case there's a race condition (an add-on without a link, or a thread without an uploaded add-on), but you get to pick which one it'll be.
Ravana
Forum Moderator

Post by Ravana »

I create new post for each ageless release few minutes before I actually finish uploading. Same case there, no need to worry about the exact timing.
enclave

Post by enclave »

yeah, making a post in forum first is better :D you can always modify it later :) works well if your addon is 100mb :)
hyper_cubed

Post by hyper_cubed »

Thank you all!

Saved me from a ton of time feeling awkward!

Got to get to it.