how to play-test own built scenarios

The place to post your WML questions and answers.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
  • Please use [code] BBCode tags in your posts for embedding WML snippets.
  • To keep your code readable so that others can easily help you, make sure to indent it following our conventions.
ospreydave

how to play-test own built scenarios

Post by ospreydave »

Hi all,
I've recently started WML, I've followed a tutorial and made a basic scenario, how do I play-test this scenario to see if it works?
thank in advance.
enclave

Re: how to play-test own built scenarios

Post by enclave »

if you done everything right, i think when you go to multiplayer and host game your scenario will be in the list together with all other maps..
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

That should work if it is a multiplayer scenario. If it is supposed to be the first scenario of a campaign, you have to make a _main.cfg file that loads it. (For more info, follow the Create link at the top of this page and look for AddonStructure.)
Campaigns: Dead Water,
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
Heindal

Post by Heindal »

Later on and with more experience you should use cheat-codes for you to jump to different scenarios inside your development. This saves time as you can test each scenario without changing the source code (new starting scenario) and reloading the game. This way you can also make "switches" which allow to e.g. kill the enemy leader to see if this scenario behaves as it should.

You should can than deactivate or delete the cheat-codes before publishing.
The future belongs to those, who believe in the beauty of their dreams.
Developer of: Trapped, Five Fates, Strange Legacy, Epical, UR Epic Era
Dungeonmasters of Wesnoth, Wild Peasants vs Devouring Corpses, Dwarf Dwarfson Dwarvenminer
josteph
Inactive Developer

Post by josteph »

You can do all of these without changing your campaign already. You can use the --campaign-scenario command-line argument to jump to a scenario. In-game you can use :debug followed by :change_level or :kill. Also you can press F5 to reload the configuration without restarting wesnoth.