How to make one unit stop striking during an attack

The place to post your WML questions and answers.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
  • Please use [code] BBCode tags in your posts for embedding WML snippets.
  • To keep your code readable so that others can easily help you, make sure to indent it following our conventions.
WhiteWolf
Forum Moderator

How to make one unit stop striking during an attack

Post by WhiteWolf »

Hi,

Is there any way to tell, which attack is used in an event? For example, in an "attacker hits" event, is there a variable that stores the name of the attack used?
I though of running a loop, which compares all attack damages with $damage_inflicted, but that would be ambiguous - what if there's a unit with two attacks of the same damage?

Also, is there a way to somehow make a unit stop striking during the attack, (but let the opponent continue hitting back), if a certain criteria is met in the attacker hits event? But the unit should fight normally, if he's attacked again.
1.13.x solutions (add an object, then remove it) are not available, I use 1.12 :(

Best regards,
WhiteWolf
Main UMC campaigns: The Ravagers - now for 1.16, with new bugs!
Old UMC works: The Underness Series, consisting of 5 parts: The Desolation of Karlag, The Blind Sentinel, The Stone of the North, The Invasion Of The Western Cavalry, Fingerbone of Destiny
WhiteWolf
Forum Moderator

Re: How to tell which attack is used in an event?

Post by WhiteWolf »

Is it somehow possible to make a unit stop fighting, but let the opponent keep fighting?
For example, this is a feature that gives some bonus somewhere, but the cost is, that when a unit attacks, if a certain criteria is met, it will stop trying to hit, but the opponent will finish his attacks as normal.

I tried to zero the attack's number through [modify_unit], or through an object, but the attack went on as normal, the effects only kicked in after the attack. How can it be done, to apply the effects immediately, during the attack?
I suspect I need to use Lua - but I really don't know lua :(
Old UMC works: The Underness Series, consisting of 5 parts: The Desolation of Karlag, The Blind Sentinel, The Stone of the North, The Invasion Of The Western Cavalry, Fingerbone of Destiny
ChaosRider

Post by ChaosRider »

WhiteWolf wrote:Thanks :)

Is it somehow possible to make a unit stop fighting, but let the opponent keep fighting?
For example, this is a feature that gives some bonus somewhere, but the cost is, that when a unit attacks, if a certain criteria is met, it will stop trying to hit, but the opponent will finish his attacks as normal.

I tried to zero the attack's number through [modify_unit], or through an object, but the attack went on as normal, the effects only kicked in after the attack. How can it be done, to apply the effects immediately, during the attack?
I suspect I need to use Lua - but I really don't know lua :(
Check Critical Strikes mod. Use there weapon special that set strikes to 0 or chance to hit to 0.
Creator of WOTG (+2880 units), MWC (+615 units), SurvivorsArea, RandomColosseum, RC WOTG, RC MWC, ColosseumRandomClonesBattle, BetweenDarknessAndLight, StealingWeapons, MoreUnitsForms, MoreDamageTypes, CanBeOnlyOne, ColosseumOneWinner, BonusSpam, CriticalStrike - available at 1.12 Wesnoth server.
WhiteWolf
Forum Moderator

Post by WhiteWolf »

Critical Strikes mod adds the objects in an event=attack. Before the attack, so I guess it works.
I need the unit to be "reloaded" with the mod in an event=attacker/defender hits.
I tried it, it doesn't work. The attack numbers are only set to 0 after the fight took place, not during, right when the event kicks in. I do not really understand this behaviour of objects, why doesn't it kick in right when applied? I guess it's because unit attack values are "loaded" into the fight at the start, and they can't be overriden during the attack?
mattsc
Inactive Developer

Post by mattsc »

WhiteWolf wrote:I guess it's because unit attack values are "loaded" into the fight at the start, and they can't be overriden during the attack?
I believe that that interpretation is pretty much correct. What you can do to interrupt the fight is to save and kill the unit, and then reload it in an attack_end event. As an example, something along those lines is done here. That doesn't do what you want, but maybe you can use it as a model to get the desired behavior?
ChaosRider

Post by ChaosRider »

I'm looking or interesting skills (weapon specials, abilities) and I've found this (might be helpful for you):

Code: Select all

#define WEAPON_SPECIAL_IE_INTERRUPT
            [knockback]
                id=ie_interrupt
                name= _ "interrupt-day only"
                description=_ "When a unit is hit with an interrupting attack, combat is immediately stopped. Works only during dawn and dusk and during the day, when the sun is in the sky."
            [/knockback]
        [/specials]
    [/attack]
    [event]
        name=defender hits
        first_time_only=no
        [filter_second_attack]
            special=interrupt
        [/filter_second_attack]
        [filter]
            [filter_location]
                time_of_day_id=dawn,morning,afternoon,dusk
            [/filter_location]
        [/filter]
        [if]
	    [then]
		[store_unit]
		    [filter]
			find_in=second_unit
		    [/filter]
		    variable=target
		    kill=yes
		[/store_unit]
            [/then]
        [/if]
    [/event]
    [event]
        name=attack end
        first_time_only=no
	[unstore_unit]
	    variable=target
	    text="interrupt"
	    {COLOR_HEAL}
	[/unstore_unit]
	{CLEAR_VARIABLE target}
    [/event]
    [+attack]
        [+specials]
#enddef
Creator of WOTG (+2880 units), MWC (+615 units), SurvivorsArea, RandomColosseum, RC WOTG, RC MWC, ColosseumRandomClonesBattle, BetweenDarknessAndLight, StealingWeapons, MoreUnitsForms, MoreDamageTypes, CanBeOnlyOne, ColosseumOneWinner, BonusSpam, CriticalStrike - available at 1.12 Wesnoth server.
WhiteWolf
Forum Moderator

Post by WhiteWolf »

I've kept experimenting with adding an object at the beginning of the attack, that kicks in with a formula for filter_opponent, but I gave up.

However, I found a workaround with interrupting the battle :) Namely, I start counting the strikes that the opponent has left at the beginning. If the criteria is met, fight is interrupted in way similar to the ones you described, and then the remaining strikes from the opponent are done manually with animate_unit and harm_unit.
Probably not elegant, but it works more or less as I intended :)
The only compromises are that chance-to-hit is completely lost, I hardwired it for 30%. I can reason for this when introducing the mechanics in the game, so for this context, it's not such a big problem. There is also loss of information on the actual damage to be done, luckily harm_unit can take resistance and time of day into accout (it's not in the code yet, my bad), but extra-extra-custom modifiers are lost.

Here's the about final code if anyone's interested:
Spoiler:
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Re: How to make one unit stop striking during an attack

Post by Sapient »

You seem to be missing some code, for example, the fire_event. It is possible to pass along weapon data with fire_event, by the way.

I have a suggestion... I am not 100% sure this will work, but have you tried removing all the unit's attacks when the special hits? Worth a try anyway.
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/User:Sapient... "Looks like your skills saved us again. Uh, well at least, they saved Soarin's apple pie."
WhiteWolf
Forum Moderator

Post by WhiteWolf »

The fire events are in another file. I made a post about the combat events a while ago: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=44574&p=601967&hil ... at#p601967 :) They come in handy, when it doesn't matter who's the attacker and who's the defender.

OK, here's the full code :)
Spoiler:
The code still loses the information on weapon specials. I'll hardwire 'magic' and 'marksman', because they are rather frequent, but other chance-to-hit-modifiers will be lost, and the hardwired 30% chance-to-hit for the leftover attacks will be applied.

I tried removing all attacks, but the attack continues as normal, the object that removes the attacks only kicks in after the attack. :(

Yes, I see now, that primary/secondary attack can be passed along, but how exactly? (no example on the wikipage) Would it be

[fire_event]
    [primary_attack]
        weapon=$weapon....? sounds dull
Or do I need to declare every attribute I want to pass, like damage=$weapon.damage, type=$weapon.tpye, etc?
octalot
General Code Maintainer

Post by octalot »

The [petrifies] special is handled by the by the engine, and immediately stops the combat. It's also built in to the combat UI, in the pre-combat stats the hp bar will be shown as grey if a unit will get petrified. It seems that nothing in the mainline units or mainline campaigns uses this weapon special.

In Ageless_Era/data/EoMa_data/sculpt.cfg there's events that trigger after the combat, used by the level 3 Medusa Witch. For her, the petrify ability has been reduced to "sculpts", with the victim automatically unpetrified in a later turn by these events.
Currently updating the SurvivalXtreme Collection, and the SXC Pressure scenario. That's about a mermish necromancer, who's just found out that her Tentacles Of The Deep have been nerfed.
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

WhiteWolf wrote:I tried removing all attacks, but the attack continues as normal, the object that removes the attacks only kicks in after the attack. :(
Oh, that's too bad. I have a couple of other ideas. I may experiment with it a bit on my own.
WhiteWolf wrote: Yes, I see now, that primary/secondary attack can be passed along, but how exactly? (no example on the wikipage) ... do I need to declare every attribute I want to pass, like damage=$weapon.damage, type=$weapon.tpye, etc?
This is where [insert_tag] comes in handy:

[fire_event]
    [insert_tag]
        name=primary_attack
        variable=weapon
Note: there is currently a proposal to make this the default behavior for fire_event (passing along all the relevant context, unless overridden).
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/User:Sapient... "Looks like your skills saved us again. Uh, well at least, they saved Soarin's apple pie."
WhiteWolf
Forum Moderator

Post by WhiteWolf »

octalot wrote:The [petrifies] special"
OK, petrifying and unpetrifying would have a similar effect, stopping the attack, but the other unit would not continue striking. Petrified units can't be striked at as far as I know :) So as I understand, it's the same as storing the unit, then unstoring it in an attack end. :(
Sapient wrote:I may experiment with it a bit on my own.
Let me know if you find anything :)

This is where [insert_tag] comes in handy:
That's cool, thanks :D
Oh, and thanks for renaming the topic - I quite forgot about that :)
Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

Post by Celtic_Minstrel »

You should be able to get the proper base chance to hit by using [store_unit_defense], I think?
Author of The Black Cross of Aleron campaign and Default++ era.
Former maintainer of Steelhive.
WhiteWolf
Forum Moderator

Post by WhiteWolf »

Sounds cool, but I use 1.12 for the campaign where I'd like the effect :( 1.14 should solve it then :)