How do you use the unhide unit function?

The place to post your WML questions and answers.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
  • Please use [code] BBCode tags in your posts for embedding WML snippets.
  • To keep your code readable so that others can easily help you, make sure to indent it following our conventions.
Partizan

How do you use the unhide unit function?

Post by Partizan »

I know the question has been asked (and answered) before, but I don't seem to be able to make the hide/unhide unit functions work. How are they supposed to work? Do they generate a hidden unit, or just hide a unit that already exists, and how do I unhide the unit that's already there?
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Re: How do you use the unhide unit function?

Post by Sapient »

It may help if you give more detail about what you are trying to do and why. Perhaps you intended to give a unit the hides ability, for example. Without more details it's hard to say.
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/User:Sapient... "Looks like your skills saved us again. Uh, well at least, they saved Soarin's apple pie."
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

When you don't know how a given tag works, you do check its documentation first, right? Because the descriptions of [hide_unit] and [unhide_unit] seem pretty straightforward. If you can't get them to work, then just post your code and what you want/expect it to do.
Partizan

Post by Partizan »

To start off with, no, they're not straightforward unless you already know what you need to do. For me, I need to know how it works, and what I need to do to make it work. One tells me what I can do with it, and what I can to do to prove whether the problem lies with code segment A, or code segment B, while the other tells me what I have to do to make it work. Basically, I don't have enough of an idea of how to use this function to create code for the function.

As for what I'm trying to do...I want to have a scenario where a legion of ghosts are summoned to slay a city's garrison, and then banished (much to the summoners' frustration). I can get the ghosts to generate, and once they generate, I can get them to kill the garrison just fine...but only if I start with them already placed, which I don't want to be the case. My solution seems to be to hide the units...but when I try to hide them, they either don't generate, or I can't reveal them. Since I don't have any clear idea or example of how to use the hide/unhide functions, that means that I'm sort of stuck.

Honestly, a lot of the commands and functions given in the wiki are like this--they tell you why it's important, but not how to actually use it. I can sometimes find examples of a function in the core campaigns, or in add-ons, but to do so I have to spend a good many hours searching through said campaigns, even if I've played enough to have a basic idea of where to look. For the hide/unhide function, and many others, I have literally no idea where to look, and my searches have not yielded fruit. Any help y'all can give would be appreciated. I like to create a plan for how I wish to use a function (and for the scenario as a whole) before I start coding it in, so I can more quickly eliminate the potential problems in the logic before I actually start coding, and thus reduce the work involved in debugging...but right now, I don't know enough to do so, and I can't find any examples to extrapolate from. Hence the question. Since I hate debugging with the burning passion of a thousand suns, I'm not exactly eager to start coding at random and hoping that I can pick it up as I go, so...I asked the experts.
Ravana
Forum Moderator

Post by Ravana »

Hide and unhide unit are visual changes - unit is still there, and can act.

You might want [unit] or [unstore_unit].