custom UI controls?

The place to post your WML questions and answers.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
  • Please use [code] BBCode tags in your posts for embedding WML snippets.
  • To keep your code readable so that others can easily help you, make sure to indent it following our conventions.
lea

custom UI controls?

Post by lea »

I endeavored to customize BfW's UI theme to my liking (as per ThemeWML wiki page) and it provides enough tools to rearrange existing controls and adapt it to different resolutions.

But what about customizing controls themselves?
Is it possible to (for example) show unit's abilities one per row instead of all in the same row?
or show a value of certain WML variable in GUI?
or show stats of highlighted unit in on one UI panel while simultaneously showing stats of currently selected unit in another?
or add a scrollbar to a panel so that its parts that are beyond its size (or screen boundaries) can be seen by user?
author of: Altered Era/Ruleset (AKA "Altera"), latest version is on add-ons servers for BfW 1.16 and 1.14, latest version also still supports BfW 1.12 and 1.10, 1.10 server is stuck with older buggy version)
Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

Re: custom UI controls?

Post by Celtic_Minstrel »

I believe most of those are indeed possible. (I know of no way to add a scrollbar, though.) The first two (abilities in one line and value of a variable) would probably require Lua. There is also a semi-working theme already that shows the stats of two units simultaneously — I think it's called the "widescreen theme", and you can switch to it in the preferences.
Author of The Black Cross of Aleron campaign and Default++ era.
Former maintainer of Steelhive.
lea

Post by lea »

Celtic_Minstrel wrote:The first two (abilities in one line and value of a variable) would probably require Lua.
any pointers as to where to look for examples?
Celtic_Minstrel wrote: There is also a semi-working theme already that shows the stats of two units simultaneously — I think it's called the "widescreen theme", and you can switch to it in the preferences.
cannot see in in Wesnoth v1.12.6, was it added in 1.13?
author of: Altered Era/Ruleset (AKA "Altera"), latest version is on add-ons servers for BfW 1.16 and 1.14, latest version also still supports BfW 1.12 and 1.10, 1.10 server is stuck with older buggy version)
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

It was removed before 1.11.16 (from the 1.12 branch only) because it was considered broken in some way. This would be the last version of the theme for 1.11.x/1.12.x prior to removal.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

This page has an example of using Lua to add a custom status effect, but that API can in fact customize all the data in the theme. Since you've already looked into ThemeWML I imagine you'll already have some idea of what each part does; unfortunately they're not really described in much detail there, but the names (unit_status etc) are the same as the tags in ThemeWML.
lea

Post by lea »

shadowm, thanks for the pointer!

Celtic_Minstrel, your link to Lua wiki page seems to be invalid...
EDIT: I think I found correct version of your link: https://wiki.wesnoth.org/LuaWML/Display ... heme_items
Last edited by lea on June 9th, 2017, 5:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

Whoops, fixed.
lea

Post by lea »

Seems understandable except one thing: where this piece of Lua code should go to be correctly included in my custom UI theme? could anybody please point to an example?

any example of using something/anything from wesnoth.theme_items in actual UI theme should do

the most common usage of Lua seems to be inclusion of lua code into event handlers - is there an event for UI refreshing or it should be included in some other place?
Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

My campaign does something basically the same as the example. Lua code here, referenced here. In other words, just a [lua] tag anywhere should work; however, if it's not for a campaign, you should instead put the [lua] tag within [era] or [modification] so it's only loaded when it needs to be,
lea

Post by lea »

Thanks for examples!
So UI elements call Lua functions with certain names when they render/refresh themselves?
Is it possible to include my Lua code into UI theme, so that it does not affect other UI themes?
gfgtdf
Developer

Post by gfgtdf »

Celtic_Minstrel wrote:My campaign does something basically the same as the example. Lua code here, referenced here. In other words, just a [lua] tag anywhere should work; however, if it's not for a campaign, you should instead put the [lua] tag within [era] or [modification] so it's only loaded when it needs to be,
Note however that before wesnoth 1.13 [lua] might not be reccognized directly in [era] or [modification], so you have to put it in a preload event.
Scenario with Robots SP scenario (1.11/1.12), allows you to build your units with components, PYR No preperation turn 1.12 mp-mod that allows you to select your units immideately after the game begins.
lea

Post by lea »

gfgtdf wrote:Note however that before wesnoth 1.13 [lua] might not be reccognized directly in [era] or [modification], so you have to put it in a preload event.
this does not seem to be a problem as long as I can detect which UI theme is used so that my changes do not mangle UI themes other than those it is meant to affect. how can that be achieved?
Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

As far as I know, there's no way to detect the currently-active theme in 1.12. In 1.13 you can read a Lua variable, which if I recall correctly is wesnoth.game_config.theme. If you need something that will work on 1.12 though, the best I can think of is somehow having a WML variable that's set only if your theme is active... and that would only be possible if the theme is linked to an era, modification, scenario, or campaign.
lea

Post by lea »

Thanks, Celtic_Minstrel
looks like the best thing I can do usability-wise is to provide an option to turn it off...
lea

Post by lea »

Celtic_Minstrel wrote:My campaign does something basically the same as the example. Lua code here, referenced here. In other words, just a [lua] tag anywhere should work; however, if it's not for a campaign, you should instead put the [lua] tag within [era] or [modification] so it's only loaded when it needs to be,
it works for custom unit statuses and I tried to modify it to change text of [income] UI element? like this:

Code: Select all

[event]
        name=start #also tried preload and other one-time events
        first_time_only=yes
        [lua]
            code = <<
                local old_income = wesnoth.theme_items.income
                function wesnoth.theme_items.income()
                    local new_income = old_income()
                    table.insert(new_income, { "element", {
                    text = "123"
                    } })
                end
                return new_income
            >>
        [/lua]
    [/event]
and got error message from wesnoth:

Code: Select all

[string "..."]:6: bad argument #1 to 'insert' (table expected, got nil)
and income indicator went blank (except income icon is still there since it is a separate UI element)
tried to remove table.insert command - error message vanished but income indicator is still blank. tried to put constant values after "return" command instead of new_income variable (like "text" and 123) - income indicator is blank regardless.

I guess "income" is not a table unlike "status" - if so then how to edit it?
anybody tried to do similar things with any of text/number UI elements in wesnoth UI theme?