Updating a campaign

The place to post your WML questions and answers.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
  • Please use [code] BBCode tags in your posts for embedding WML snippets.
  • To keep your code readable so that others can easily help you, make sure to indent it following our conventions.
cephalo

Updating a campaign

Post by cephalo »

Argh, I got rusty in my absence. So I downloaded the 1.12 beta, put my 1.11 campaign folder in my data\add-ons folder for 1.12, and the game is not recognizing it as an installed campaign. What am I forgetting?
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Re: Updating a campaign

Post by zookeeper »

There's no special steps required, so you probably just have the files in the wrong place or something like that.
cephalo

Post by cephalo »

zookeeper wrote:There's no special steps required, so you probably just have the files in the wrong place or something like that.
Dang, I wonder what the problem could be. I put the campaign folder in the add-ons folder that was created by installing 1.11.11. exactly where I had it in < 1.11.10 Another thing that has changed since is that I am now using Windows 8.1. Is there something different about how Wesnoth sees the user directories? Is Wesnoth creating those directories in a place that it can see? I'm sure I installed Wesnoth such that every user had access to the game and also that saves and add-ons were in the user directory.
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Why not download an add-on and see where it goes?
cephalo

Post by cephalo »

zookeeper wrote:Why not download an add-on and see where it goes?
I will do that on my lunch hour today. Good idea.
cephalo

Post by cephalo »

Ok, for completeness sake, I will say that I found the directory deep in the AppData tree, which is normally hidden (right?). It's interesting because my installation of Wesnoth did create directories inside My Documents which I presume are unused. I wonder if there's a reason for that or if it could be streamlined.
aquileia
Inactive Developer

Post by aquileia »

Hi cephalo,

I think the only way to get rid of this behavior (other than setting a different userdata directory) is to change the access permissions of the directory.
In case it really bothers you, this is how I did it: Right click on your userdata directory, open the options dialog, go to security and give SYSTEM full access rights.

And IIRC the directory in my documents is only created if you check/uncheck it on installation.
cephalo

Post by cephalo »

aquileia wrote:Hi cephalo,

And IIRC the directory in my documents is only created if you check/uncheck it on installation.
This is part that caused some confusion for me. I did check that box to create the directory in My Documents, but that did not end up being where those files were actually stored. Wesnoth does not look there for saves and add-ons. Those directories were created, then orphaned.
Elvish_Hunter

Post by Elvish_Hunter »

cephalo wrote:Ok, for completeness sake, I will say that I found the directory deep in the AppData tree, which is normally hidden (right?). It's interesting because my installation of Wesnoth did create directories inside My Documents which I presume are unused. I wonder if there's a reason for that or if it could be streamlined.
Perhaps something went wrong while the setup program created the Start menu link? I'm not sure about how it works on Windows 8.1 (I'm still on 7, and probably will be for a long time...), but on 7 you can right-click on the Wesnoth icon in the start menu, and then select Properties. You'll then be shown the command line used to launch Wesnoth, that in my case is:

Code: Select all

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Battle for Wesnoth 1.11.10\wesnoth.exe" --config-dir Wesnoth1.11
If your link is missing the --config-dir option, that's the problem.
You may want also to take a look at this topic: http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=39962 .
Current maintainer of these add-ons, all on 1.16:
The Sojournings of Grog, Children of Dragons, A Rough Life, Wesnoth Lua Pack, The White Troll (co-author)
cephalo

Post by cephalo »

Hmm, yeah I think that might be the issue. You see, there is no start menu in Windows 8! Windows 8 is kinda messed up as to whether it want's to be a mobile OS or a desktop OS. Instead of a start menu, you just start typing the name of what you want and it pops up, which is actually kindof cool, but that doesn't work in 'desktop mode' even though there is still no start menu. I had to make my own desktop shortcut for Wesnoth and I did not include those options, so that must be the problem.
JaMiT
Inactive Developer

Post by JaMiT »

cephalo wrote:Ok, for completeness sake, I will say that I found the directory deep in the AppData tree, which is normally hidden (right?).
Yeah. There is some documentation about that directory -- Locating the Wesnoth logs and userdata in Windows Vista & 7 and "How to get there" -- but those are easy to miss. Especially if you are not in the tech support forum.

Figured I would mention those resources even though you found the directory since, in the sticky, Gambit mentioned a quick way to get to the virtual store, which might be handy. (If it still works under Windows 8.)