Unitmarkers [SP/MP modification for 1.14]

The place to post your WML questions and answers.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
  • Please use [code] BBCode tags in your posts for embedding WML snippets.
  • To keep your code readable so that others can easily help you, make sure to indent it following our conventions.
beetlenaut
Developer

Re: Global Unitmarkers

Post by beetlenaut »

Sure. I only suggested something shorter because I wasn't sure how much room you had.
Campaigns: Dead Water,
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
kiss

Re: Global Unitmarkers

Post by kiss »

I've only explained the behaviour I've discovered but, after all, what do we want? An easy way to spot a special unit on the battleground.
Now with more use, I think it can be ok as it is.

No change for leader, well, they are special already.
Modify the color for an hero. This is ok too as the way to flag a unit.
Being able to clear an hero marker in order to mark it with unit ones can also be handy after all.

Perhaps add few new markers? The only easy one I can think of is lightning.
And also "go back" as the default choice.

In fact it is awesome as is for me, but I do not have that much experience, only played a few campaigns and doesn't encounter situation where other behaviour will be useful.
Paulomat4
Moderator Emeritus

Unitmarkers for 1.12/1.13

Post by Paulomat4 »

Unitmarkers is back!

After having been neglected by me for over two years I finally ported Unitmarkers to 1.12 as well as 1.13. Both versions are already on the server. I have made sure that hero units, loyals and leader will always have at least their original overlays. Also you can now undo moves after placing an overlay. Please report any bugs you might find!
Greetings,

Paulomat4
Creator of Dawn of Thunder and Global Unitmarkers

"I thought Naga's used semi-automatic crossbows with incendiary thermite arrows . . . my beliefs that this race is awesome are now shattered." - Evil Earl
The_Gnat

Re: Unitmarkers for 1.12/1.13

Post by The_Gnat »

Awesome, (i hate seeing dead threads :mrgreen: ) i will try it out and tell you how awesome it is! 8)
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

The_Gnat wrote:Awesome, (i hate seeing dead threads :mrgreen: ) i will try it out and tell you how awesome it is! 8)
So i tried it out... and it was awesome! :D Its a great idea and really good! Personally i would like a few more options to assign to normal units (maybe a shield,bow,sword,hammer,horse,or any of those)

Also it would be great if you could create a modification for multiplayer also (like the choose your flag add-on), it would be lots of fun to be able to do this in multiplayer also!

Thanks for this really cool add-on! :D
Paulomat4
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Paulomat4 »

Thank you!

About new Icons:
That is certainly doable, i just think that they should look good. I think i'll add a few with the next update.

About multiplayer:
That should certainly be doable as well, i just don't know much about multiplayer coding and I don't want to cause any oos errors.

"I thought Naga's used semi-automatic crossbows with incendiary thermite arrows . . . my beliefs that this race is awesome are now shattered." - Evil Earl
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

OOS errors should only be caused by changing a value used during combat or movement, so if changing just the unit icon image resulted in an OOS, I would actually think that is a bug in Wesnoth.
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
Ravana
Forum Moderator

Post by Ravana »

It does not really matter when you change. But interface is safe to change. Most that can happen is that only some players can see that image.
Paulomat4
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Paulomat4 »

Okay then, Expect to see multiplayer functionality on from the next update!

The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

Paulomat4 wrote:Okay then, Expect to see multiplayer functionality on from the next update!
Great! :D
Paulomat4
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Paulomat4 »

Version 1.3 has been uploaded to the add-on servers!

changes include:

Code: Select all

-reorganization of the leader overlays (there are now even more available)
-multiplayer functionality. pretty untested, maybe i'll test it a bit when i get home and have my desktop computer, maybe not. Should not cause Oos errors as previously mentioned by Pentarctagon and Ravana.
-3 new overlays for normal units: flaming swords, poisonous skull and shield!
Greetings,
Paulomat4

The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

Paulomat4 wrote:Version 1.3 has been uploaded to the add-on servers!

changes include:

-reorganization of the leader overlays (there are now even more available)
-multiplayer functionality. pretty untested, maybe i'll test it a bit when i get home and have my desktop computer, maybe not. Should not cause Oos errors as previously mentioned by Pentarctagon and Ravana.
-3 new overlays for normal units: flaming swords, poisonous skull and shield!
Greetings,
Paulomat4
Sounds great i will go download it right away! :D

(EDIT) i noticed that when you choose a poison, flaming swords, or shield icon that then the option box no longer loads for that unit. (probably a bug)

(EDIT2) also i think it might be good to have a modification option in the multiplayer menu (using [modification] tags) so that players can choose to have this mod active or not
Paulomat4
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Paulomat4 »

(EDIT) i noticed that when you choose a poison, flaming swords, or shield icon that then the option box no longer loads for that unit. (probably a bug)
Thanks, I just noticed that myself right now. 1.3.1 fixes this and has been uploaded to both add-on servers.
also i think it might be good to have a modification option in the multiplayer menu (using [modification] tags) so that players can choose to have this mod active or not
This is because of the way that the add-on had to be implemented in 1.12. 1.13 now allows single-player modifications. (see also your own thread where it was explained).
So making the add-on a real modification is on my to do list, although it will only happen for 1.13.

The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

Paulomat4 wrote:
also i think it might be good to have a modification option in the multiplayer menu (using [modification] tags) so that players can choose to have this mod active or not
This is because of the way that the add-on had to be implemented in 1.12. 1.13 now allows single-player modifications. (see also your own thread where it was explained).
So making the add-on a real modification is on my to do list, although it will only happen for 1.13.

Thanks for responding. Actually what I meant is for multiplayer create a modification check box so that when creating maps players may choose to turn off the addon (without uninstalling). I know this works in 1.12 because I have created my own mod using the [modification] tags inside #ifdef MULTIPLAYER
Paulomat4
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Unitmarkers [SP/MP modification for 1.12/1.13]

Post by Paulomat4 »

Thanks for responding. Actually what I meant is for multiplayer create a modification check box so that when creating maps players may choose to turn off the addon (without uninstalling). I know this works in 1.12 because I have created my own mod using the [modification] tags inside #ifdef MULTIPLAYER
I understood what you meant on first try, but thank you for explaining anyway :)

Version 1.4 has been uploaded to both add on servers!

-Unitmarkers now functions as modification as provided by the game on mp and single player on 1.13 and on mp on 1.12. In sp on 1.12 it still uses the hackery.
this means that it can be turned off whereever it is a standard modification but of course, i can only recommend having it on ;)
-brecause of the code differences between 1.12 and 1.13, development has now officially stopped for 1.12. I will still fix bugs if you find any, though.
small changes that were additionally done in 1.13:

-smaller retouche of the flag icon
-partly rewritten description.