Add level to unit

The place to post your WML questions and answers.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
  • Please use [code] BBCode tags in your posts for embedding WML snippets.
  • To keep your code readable so that others can easily help you, make sure to indent it following our conventions.
allanate

Add level to unit

Post by allanate »

Ive been wondering this for a while now and if it is possible it would make my scenario 1000000x more interesting. Is it possible to add a level to a unit that advances.? i see that you have the option to manualy add a level or more to a unit using the debug command but i actually want to make a event that increases the level of a unit.

EX:
mage steps on this tile, mage is now level 2
Ravana
Forum Moderator

Re: Add level to unit

Post by Ravana »

Do you mean level up to custom unit, increase unit.level or level unit to existing unit/amla?
1. part of your post shows that only number needs to change, but I think debug command changes unit type as well.

Why not use {ADVANCE_UNIT}? For most likely thing you requested that works.
allanate

Post by allanate »

Ravana wrote:Do you mean level up to custom unit, increase unit.level or level unit to existing unit/amla?
1. part of your post shows that only number needs to change, but I think debug command changes unit type as well.

Why not use {ADVANCE_UNIT}? For most likely thing you requested that works.

something like this

apply to= unit level
add=1

without it advancing
Ravana
Forum Moderator

Post by Ravana »

Code: Select all

[store_unit]
[filter]
#yours
[/filter]
variable=to_adv
[/store_unit]
{FOREACH to_adv i}
{VARIABLE_OP to_adv[$i].level add 1}
{NEXT i}
[unstore_unit]
find_vacant=no
variable=to_adv
[/unstore_unit]
{CLEAR_VARIABLE to_adv}
Written in forum so untested and without indentation.
allanate

Post by allanate »

Ravana wrote:

[store_unit]
[filter]
#yours
[/filter]
variable=to_adv
[/store_unit]
{FOREACH to_adv i}
{VARIABLE_OP to_adv[$i].level add 1}
{NEXT i}
[unstore_unit]
find_vacant=no
variable=to_adv
[/unstore_unit]
{CLEAR_VARIABLE to_adv}
Written in forum so untested and without indentation.

Wow it worked thanx a lot.! and also thanks on your timely response.
trewe
Translator

Post by trewe »

The store- /unstore mechanism is obsolete, use modify_unit instead.

[modify_unit]
    [filter]
      id=$unit.id # whatever
    [/filter]
    level="$($this_unit.level+1)"
  [/modify_unit]
Ravana
Forum Moderator

Post by Ravana »

trewe wrote:The store- /unstore mechanism is obsolete, use modify_unit instead.

[modify_unit]
    [filter]
      id=$unit.id # whatever
    [/filter]
    level="$($this_unit.level+1)"
  [/modify_unit]
http://wiki.wesnoth.org/InternalActions ... re_unit.5D does not say that this is obsolete.
I avoid [modify_unit] because http://wiki.wesnoth.org/DirectActionsWM ... fy_unit.5D
note: The syntax allowed is somehow vague. Just try things and possibly correct/add/modify this documentation. (a forum thread discusses some related issues).
With variables I can clearly see what happens.
trewe
Translator

Post by trewe »

From my experience unstore_unit is not very multiplayer friendly (especially there). Although modify_unit internally just fires store/unstore too, it usually gives fewer problems. And it is faster.

For the syntax, it allows every attribute as [unit], except variation, without problems. type= should be avoided though since it can leave to unwanted results (use transform_unit to change an unit type).
Anonymissimus
Inactive Developer

Post by Anonymissimus »

Why do you think this ? Sorry, it's nonsense.
Ravana wrote: I avoid [modify_unit] because http://wiki.wesnoth.org/DirectActionsWM ... fy_unit.5D
note: The syntax allowed is somehow vague. Just try things and possibly correct/add/modify this documentation. (a forum thread discusses some related issues).
Due to the way it is implemented I couldn't give a better description. The allowed syntax depends on a huge number of allowed or disallowed syntaxes of the C++ engine.
trewe wrote:And it is faster.
I doubt that.
All it is is sort of a wrapper and syntactic sugar or syntax simplifying interface to functionalities which exist anyway. I think it was added in order to create a challenging test case for our lua interface. In case there are automatically stored variables ($unit etc) it's better to use direct variable modification.
projects (BfW 1.12):
A Simple Campaign: campaign draft for wml startersPlan Your Advancements: mp mod
The Earth's Gut: sp campaignSettlers of Wesnoth: mp scenarioWesnoth Lua Pack: lua tags and utils
updated to 1.8 and handed over: A Gryphon's Tale: sp campaign
A Guy

Post by A Guy »

Anonymissimus wrote:I doubt that.
All it is is sort of a wrapper and syntactic sugar or syntax simplifying interface to functionalities which exist anyway. I think it was added in order to create a challenging test case for our lua interface. In case there are automatically stored variables ($unit etc) it's better to use direct variable modification.
When I tried to use store and unstore_unit swap the position of two units at the start of combat to replace one with the other, the combat ended. modify_unit works for me.
I'm just... a guy...
I'm back for now, I might get started on some work again.
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

A Guy wrote:When I tried to use store and unstore_unit swap the position of two units at the start of combat to replace one with the other, the combat ended. modify_unit works for me.
You probably did something wrong. [modify_unit] is implemented using [store_unit], [kill], and [unstore_unit] internally.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
A Guy

Post by A Guy »

shadowmaster wrote:
A Guy wrote:When I tried to use store and unstore_unit swap the position of two units at the start of combat to replace one with the other, the combat ended. modify_unit works for me.
You probably did something wrong. [modify_unit] is implemented using [store_unit], [kill], and [unstore_unit] internally.
I tried storing both units and unstoring them on top of each other. They swapped places, but the combat ended before anyone attacked.
I'm just... a guy...
Ravana
Forum Moderator

Post by Ravana »

A Guy wrote: I tried storing both units and unstoring them on top of each other. They swapped places, but the combat ended before anyone attacked.
Sounds like you didnt have find_vacant=no for [unstore_unit].
That is assuming you left units alive when storing them.
Didnt notice you said start of combat before.

However topic seems to have changed from unit levels to [store_unit] vs [modify_unit] , you might want to create new thread for that.
Last edited by Ravana on July 10th, 2013, 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
trewe
Translator

Post by trewe »

Anonymissimus wrote:
Why do you think this ? Sorry, it's nonsense.
With obsolete I mean the archaic store - set variable - unstore, when all what one wants to do is some ad-hoc changes to an unit. Obviously, unstore does not dissapear completly, Like
Anonymissimus wrote:In case there are automatically stored variables ($unit etc) it's better to use direct variable modification.
when one of the above functions is not required. One has to deliberately choose which serves the purpose better.
Anonymissimus wrote:All it is is sort of a wrapper and syntactic sugar or syntax simplifying interface to functionalities which exist anyway. I think it was added in order to create a challenging test case for our lua interface.
Well, the results are not exactly the same. As it is now it mostly only simplifies the syntax (with some side effects).

A Guy wrote:I tried storing both units and unstoring them on top of each other. They swapped places, but the combat ended before anyone attacked.
That is expected. How exactly does modify_unit help there?
A Guy

Post by A Guy »

trewe wrote:
A Guy wrote:I tried storing both units and unstoring them on top of each other. They swapped places, but the combat ended before anyone attacked.
That is expected. How exactly does modify_unit help there?
modify_unit let me change both units to a copy of the other without interrupting combat.
I'm just... a guy...