How are advance and post advance events fired in 1.11.1+ ?

The place to post your WML questions and answers.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
  • Please use [code] BBCode tags in your posts for embedding WML snippets.
  • To keep your code readable so that others can easily help you, make sure to indent it following our conventions.
Dugi

How are advance and post advance events fired in 1.11.1+ ?

Post by Dugi »

I was able to learn this in 1.10 and 1.11.0, but in 1.11.1 it was changed and I cannot understand it. The only way for me to work on it is to try and see.

This is how it should behave:
1. A unit kills an opponent, earning enough experience to advance.
2. Last breath and die events are fired.
3. Advance event is fired.
4. The GUI asking what should it advance to appears, and the change chosen is performed.
5. Post advance event is fired.
If it advances via unstore_unit, nothing is fired.

However, on 1.11.1+, I am experiencing strange behaviour, like advancing before the advance event, difference between AMLA advancement and normal advancement in matters of firing events and even unit not stored into $unit, $x1, $y1 in post advance event.

Can somebody tell me how does it actually work?
gfgtdf
Developer

Re: How are advance and post advance events fired in 1.11.1+

Post by gfgtdf »

I think it's never been like that, it was more like:
1. A unit kills an opponent, earning enough experience to advance.
2. Last breath and die events are fired.
3. The GUI asking what should it advance to appears
4. Advance event is fired.
5 and the change chosen is performed, but it is aborted if certain things happend (for exaple changed type) in the advance event.
6. Post advance event is fired.
Scenario with Robots SP scenario (1.11/1.12), allows you to build your units with components, PYR No preperation turn 1.12 mp-mod that allows you to select your units immideately after the game begins.
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

It appears that you might be right, but what would be the point of showing the advancement GUI if the unit might not advance due to the advance event?
Wait... the wiki says that it asks, then the advance event is fired, then the changes are performed and then the post advance event is fired. I wonder what is the point of the separation of advance and post advance events then, except for storing the unit (that can be done without it anyway). Transformations of the unit can be done in post advance as well. If the unit's advancement is stopped in the advance event, the GUI shows up uselessly. Hm...
Anonymissimus
Inactive Developer

Post by Anonymissimus »

[unstore_unit] contains a fire_event= key controlling this.
Dugi wrote: I wonder what is the point of the separation of advance and post advance events then, except for storing the unit (that can be done without it anyway).
The advance event could cancel the advancement, for instance, or change the type the unit advances to.

I agree that it should make more sense to show the query after the advance event, so that the advance event can decide whether to show it at all.
Dugi wrote:and even unit not stored into $unit, $x1, $y1 in post advance event.
I've seen this happen with sighted events only so far and would be a pretty severe bug. As usual, you should provide a minimized test case...
projects (BfW 1.12):
A Simple Campaign: campaign draft for wml startersPlan Your Advancements: mp mod
The Earth's Gut: sp campaignSettlers of Wesnoth: mp scenarioWesnoth Lua Pack: lua tags and utils
updated to 1.8 and handed over: A Gryphon's Tale: sp campaign
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

Anonymissimus wrote:I agree that it should make more sense to show the query after the advance event, so that the advance event can decide whether to show it at all.
Please do it. If you want to do some changes on the unit before it advances, the GUI should reflect them, otherwise it is almost useless.

I placed this into A simple campaign's only scenario. $x1 and $y1 were stored (to my surprise, I had to set these variables myself in my campaign to get things working before), but the message was shown three times (or the number of times it shows is random, I think it appeared twice before).

Code: Select all

[event]
		name=post advance
		[message]
			speaker=narrator
			message="$x1 $y1 $unit.name"
		[/message]
	[/event]
gfgtdf
Developer

Post by gfgtdf »

i just tested

Code: Select all

[event]
		name=post advance
		[message]
			speaker=narrator
			message="$x1 $y1 $unit.name"
		[/message]
	[/event]
with a simple scenario.
and it worked as wanted with amla and levelup, with first_time_only and without.

(version 11.2 win7 64bit)
Scenario with Robots SP scenario (1.11/1.12), allows you to build your units with components, PYR No preperation turn 1.12 mp-mod that allows you to select your units immideately after the game begins.