upgrade from 1.8 to 1.10.3

The place to post your WML questions and answers.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
  • Please use [code] BBCode tags in your posts for embedding WML snippets.
  • To keep your code readable so that others can easily help you, make sure to indent it following our conventions.
ulfgur

upgrade from 1.8 to 1.10.3

Post by ulfgur »

I downloaded 1.10.3, and am trying to upgrade my custom era. (It is tacked into the add-on folder). I ran WMLLINT (I think, I read the page about it, but it didn't tell me what to expect it to do...) and ran wesnoth. An error message that I stupidly forgot to record popped up, and now wesnoth is ignoring my addon completely.

Any idea what could be causing this?

If no-one has any idea, I will meticulously copy all the important .cfg's from my era onto the forum. Pity I can't find a way to just upload the whole folder...

Sorry about the conspicuous lack of useful information. I wish I had some. :doh:

Thanks
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Re: upgrade from 1.8 to 1.10.3

Post by Pentarctagon »

I've had that problem too, usually I can get wesnoth to show the add-on again by deleting the cache (in userdata/cache). Also you can put the folder in an archive (.zip/.7z/etc) and that should let you upload it unless its above the maximum size.
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
UnwiseOwl

Post by UnwiseOwl »

I'm pretty sure that if you quit wesnoth and restart it it should display the error message again (when you go to multiplayer), which should give you some kind of hint towards fixing the issue. The era won't become available until all the critical errors have been fixed, it's much less forgiving than the old 1.8 system, but you can work thorugh them one by one in this manner if you need to.
Maintainer of the Imperial Era and the campaigns Dreams of Urduk, Epic of Vaniyera, Up from Slavery, Fall of Silvium, Alfhelm the Wise and Gali's Contract.
But perhaps 'maintainer' is too strong a word.
ulfgur

Post by ulfgur »

I'm pretty sure that if you quit wesnoth and restart it it should display the error message again
the first time I tried that, it didn't work. The second time, it did. It had broken because I was piggybacking off 1.8's ranged era, and had forgotten to disconnect some of the macros. :oops: A stupid mistake, even for me. This is now fixed, HOWEVER: it is now saying the {ATTACK_ANIM_RANGED} (or however it is properly syntaxed) macro is missing. Did I, mayhaps, run WMLLINT wrong? Have I misunderstood the purpose of WMLLINT? I just opened it and fed it a filepath.
Elvish_Hunter

Post by Elvish_Hunter »

ulfgur wrote:HOWEVER: it is now saying the {ATTACK_ANIM_RANGED} (or however it is properly syntaxed) macro is missing. Did I, mayhaps, run WMLLINT wrong? Have I misunderstood the purpose of WMLLINT? I just opened it and fed it a filepath.
Which filepath did you pass to wmllint? You need to pass at least two paths: the core directory and your era's directory.
Also, catching and reporting missing macros (as well as images and sounds) is not wmllint's purpose, but wmlscope's purpose (with the --unresolved parameter).
Finally, when you have a problem, pasting the content of your stderr.txt (on Windows) or of your Terminal (on Linux and Mac) will be useful, as it may contain some additional informations.
Current maintainer of these add-ons, all on 1.16:
The Sojournings of Grog, Children of Dragons, A Rough Life, Wesnoth Lua Pack, The White Troll (co-author)
ulfgur

Post by ulfgur »

Note: I am a mac user....
You need to pass at least two paths: the core directory
By core directory, do you mean where I have stored wesnoth? as in applications/Wesnoth?

here's what I get when I run WMLLINT:

Code: Select all

Last login: Sat Jun 20 19:00:58 on console
/Applications/Wesnoth.app/Contents/Resources/data/tools/wmllint ; exit;
localhost:~ [Name blanked for paranoia's sake]$ /Applications/Wesnoth.app/Contents/Resources/data/tools/wmllint ; exit;
[Name blanked for paranoia's sake]/Library/Application Support/Wesnoth_1.10/data/add-ons/Era_of_AspectsTraceback (most recent call last):
  File "/Applications/Wesnoth.app/Contents/Resources/data/tools/wmllint", line 2340, in <module>
    for fn in allcfgfiles(dir):
  File "/Applications/Wesnoth.app/Contents/Resources/data/tools/wmllint", line 2185, in allcfgfiles
    if interesting(os.path.join(root, name)):
  File "/Applications/Wesnoth.app/Contents/Resources/data/tools/wmllint", line 2168, in interesting
    return fn.endswith(".cfg") or is_map(fn) or issave(fn)
  File "/Applications/Wesnoth.app/Contents/Resources/data/tools/wesnoth/wmltools.py", line 140, in issave
    firstline = open(filename).readline()
IOError: [Errno 102] Operation not supported on socket: './Library/Acrobat User Data/8.0_x86/Synchronizer/Commands'
logout

[Process completed]

the
[Name blanked for paranoia's sake]/Library/Application Support/Wesnoth_1.10/data/add-ons/Era_of_Aspects
is what I typed in.

Does WMLLINT check things and have the user change them, or just fix stuff?

As for WMLSCOPE, the stuff in Terminal is a huge list once I input [Name blanked for paranoia's sake]/Library/Application Support/Wesnoth_1.10/data/add-ons/Era_of_Aspects, so I know it just checks stuff for me. (Thus, I need to figure out what has changed between versions. I'll have to take a thorough look through my unit .cfg's and compare them with simple stuff like the elvish fighter .cfg.)
Kernigh

Post by Kernigh »

Your use of wmllint is wrong. In your Terminal, the "Traceback" and "IOError" is an error message. It describes how wmllint tried to read the first line of './Library/Acrobat User Data/8.0_x86/Synchronizer/Commands'. This means that wmllint is looking at the wrong files!

Your input is wrong. Your input is

/Applications/Wesnoth.app/Contents/Resources/data/tools/wmllint ; exit;
/BLANKED/Library/Application Support/Wesnoth_1.10/data/add-ons/Era_of_Aspects
You only admit typing the second line, so who typed the first line? Did you double-click wmllint in the Finder? This would be wrong.

The first line (/Applications/Wesnoth.app/Contents/Resources/data/tools/wmllint ; exit;) started running wmllint. Then, while wmllint was already checking the wrong files, you entered the second line; but wmllint never takes input while it is running, so the second line did nothing, and wmllint never found your add-on!

Read this: http://wiki.wesnoth.org/Maintenance_tools (This page is messy, and partly outdated, but it is the best document about wmllint and wmlscope.)

You need to use the command line. For a Mac, this is the Terminal program (in the Utilities folder in the Applications folder, if I remember correctly; I am not using a Mac today). These commands might be right for you. Each command is one very long line.

First, you might do a dry run:

/Applications/Wesnoth.app/Contents/Resources/data/tools/wmllint --dryrun /Applications/Wesnoth.app/Contents/Resources/data/core /BLANKED/Library/"Application Support"/Wesnoth_1.10/data/add-ons/Era_of_Aspects
Second, you might do a normal run:

/Applications/Wesnoth.app/Contents/Resources/data/tools/wmllint /Applications/Wesnoth.app/Contents/Resources/data/core /BLANKED/Library/"Application Support"/Wesnoth_1.10/data/add-ons/Era_of_Aspects
Third, you might see the changes:

/Applications/Wesnoth.app/Contents/Resources/data/tools/wmllint --diff /Applications/Wesnoth.app/Contents/Resources/data/core /BLANKED/Library/"Application Support"/Wesnoth_1.10/data/add-ons/Era_of_Aspects
Fourth, you might delete the backup files:

/Applications/Wesnoth.app/Contents/Resources/data/tools/wmllint /Applications/Wesnoth.app/Contents/Resources/data/core /BLANKED/Library/"Application Support"/Wesnoth_1.10/data/add-ons/Era_of_Aspects
Fifth, you might run wmlscope:

/Applications/Wesnoth.app/Contents/Resources/data/tools/wmlscope --unresolved /Applications/Wesnoth.app/Contents/Resources/data/core /BLANKED/Library/"Application Support"/Wesnoth_1.10/data/add-ons/Era_of_Aspects
If you need more help, please post your Terminal content, so someone can see exactly what happened.