Limiting factions (but not to just one)

The place to post your WML questions and answers.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
  • Please use [code] BBCode tags in your posts for embedding WML snippets.
  • To keep your code readable so that others can easily help you, make sure to indent it following our conventions.
Efinari

Limiting factions (but not to just one)

Post by Efinari »

I was wondering if there was any way of limiting the factions in a MP scenario/campaign. I know I can decide for the player what faction they are, but I want to give them one or two options--just not as many as an era would give.

My end goal is something like this:

Side 1 can choose whether they want to be Loyalists or Rebels

Side 2 can choose between Northerners or Knalgans

Side 3 can choose between Undead or Drakes

Thanks.

*EDIT*
Alternatively, could I give a choice of leaders outside of specific factions? Then I could base the recruit on what type of leader you pick.
(It would look something like this:

Code: Select all

[side]
type=Elvish Sharpshooter,Grand Marshal,Halberdier
(all the other stuff in a 'side' tag)
[/side]
But I know that that doesn't work)
Kallin Efinari
---Creator of "LOTE Unit Release", "7p - Afterwards", and "Chain Lightning"
(Working on 1.12 port of "7p - Afterwards")
Managing compatibility between 4000K people's ideas of what happens? Forget it!
Kernigh

Re: Limiting factions (but not to just one)

Post by Kernigh »

This seems impossible. SideWML can lock a side to one faction (or leader), but there is no way to lock a side to a choice of two or more factions (or leaders).

A potential workaround is to write some events for side 1 turn 1, side 2 turn 1, and so on, each displaying a [message] to pick a faction and leader. This would be very difficult to code, and the result would be very awkward, picking leaders during turn 1, not before the game.

Perhaps you should wish for a new feature in 1.11/1.12?
Efinari

Post by Efinari »

Kernigh wrote:A potential workaround is to write some events for side 1 turn 1, side 2 turn 1, and so on, each displaying a [message] to pick a faction and leader. This would be very difficult to code, and the result would be very awkward, picking leaders during turn 1, not before the game.
Thanks, I did consider that possibility. I don't find it difficult to code, just very awkward in gameplay. :)
I suppose I'll have to stick with choosing the factions for the player (Loyalists,Northerners,and Drakes are what I've decided).
Thanks again for your help.
Kallin Efinari
JaMiT
Inactive Developer

Post by JaMiT »

What would happen if you defined a faction called "Loyalists or Rebels"? Give this faction no recruits and a choice of leaders from both the Loyalists and the Rebels standard factions. This would have to go in a custom era, and that era could include a side_turn_1 event (not first time only) that would set the current side's recruit list based upon the current side's leader. (One event could handle all the factions you would define for this era.)

The next step would be creating a "Northerners or Knalgans" faction and an "Undead or Drakes" faction. Then lock each side to the faction representing the allowed choices.
Efinari

Post by Efinari »

Been a while, but a new question has sprung to mind based on this:
JaMiT wrote:This would have to go in a custom era
This would work, but it's also somewhat awkward in gameplay--unless you can force the era for the scenario. Is this possible?
Kallin Efinari
JaMiT
Inactive Developer

Post by JaMiT »

Efinari wrote:This would work, but it's also somewhat awkward in gameplay--unless you can force the era for the scenario. Is this possible?
Wouldn't you have the same problem trying to specify a faction, as in your original query? You wanted to give side 1 a choice of Loyalists or Rebels; what was supposed to happen if the player had decided to use, for example, Era of Chaos, which defines neither of those factions?