Some Trouble with Ineffectual {MODIFY_UNIT}s

The place to post your WML questions and answers.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
  • Please use [code] BBCode tags in your posts for embedding WML snippets.
  • To keep your code readable so that others can easily help you, make sure to indent it following our conventions.
PsychoticKittens

Some Trouble with Ineffectual {MODIFY_UNIT}s

Post by PsychoticKittens »

Right so, I'm working with this macro to 'store' units in a building-styled unit, and edit in the building-styled unit's second attack values to have the stored unit's damage, damage type, and number (strikes).

Running Wesnoth 1.8.2 on Windows 7.

Full Code:
Spoiler:
This portion defines a bunch of variables, and then has the three {MODIFY_UNIT} that aren't affecting anything. I checked the variables it's changing to, and those were all correct. so I'm guessing it's the ( ).
I'm not sure if attack[#].____ is affected by the weapons' ranges, but the stored unit and the tower have different attack ranges.

Code: Select all

[then]
							{VARIABLE tower.variables.type_stored $to_store.type}
							{VARIABLE tower.variables.range $to_store.variables.range}
							{VARIABLE_OP tower.variables.range multiply 1.5}
							{VARIABLE_OP tower.variables.range round ceil}
							{VARIABLE count_to_store $to_store.hitpoints}
							{VARIABLE number 10000}
							{VARIABLE_OP number divide $to_store.max_hitpoints}
							{VARIABLE_OP number multiply .0001}
							{VARIABLE_OP count_to_store multiply $number}
							{CLEAR_VARIABLE number}
							{VARIABLE_OP count_to_store round ceil}
							{VARIABLE_OP tower.variables.count_stored add $count_to_store}
							{MODIFY_UNIT (x,y=$tower.x,$tower.y) attack[1].damage $to_store.attack[1].damage}
							{MODIFY_UNIT (x,y=$tower.x,$tower.y) attack[1].type $to_store.attack[1].type}
							{MODIFY_UNIT (x,y=$tower.x,$tower.y) attack[1].number $count_to_store}
							[unstore_unit]
								variable=tower[$i]
							[/unstore_unit]
							[kill]
								x,y=$selectx,$selecty
								animate=no
								fire_event=no
							[/kill]
						[/then]
I tried it with a {FOREACH} to make it have [$i] on the x's and y's in the () , but that didn't change anything. I also started it off originally with x,y=$x1,$y1 and that doesn't work either. The only difference between other {MODIFY_UNIT} that I've done correctly is that it's using another unit's variables, instead of just a variable variable, but since I checked the variables I don't see what that's affecting anything.
Creator of: Mercenaries Era; Modern Combat
Future Projects: Faunima: Land of Monsters
Temporarily Dropped Projects: Zombie Horde
A Guy

Re: Some Trouble with Ineffectual {MODIFY_UNIT}s

Post by A Guy »

Try removing the [unstore_unit] in the second bit of code.
I'm just... a guy...
I'm back for now, I might get started on some work again.
PsychoticKittens

Hrm. Well I did need to store the variables, so after removing it and noting that it worked, I moved it up *before* the modification.

Didn't know unstores had an effect on modifications :P

Thanks.
A Guy

Post by A Guy »

No problem. If you unstore the unit after modifying it, you're replacing the modified version with the stored version.
I'm just... a guy...
PsychoticKittens

Oooh, that makes more sense.

Anyway, I also wanted to replace the image of the "Tower" unit, with the image of the "stored" unit. I wasn't sure how to do that.
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

Normally you store the unit into a variable (such as "tower[$i]"), make some changes to that variable, then unstore it.

With the convenient MODIFY_UNIT macro, it takes care of storing and unstoring for you. It stores the filtered unit(s) into a temporary variable (different from your variable), makes one single change, then unstores it. All that extra storing and unstoring does however, make this approach a bit bulky in the savefile when it is called many times in a row. But who cares about a few extra lines in the savefile if it makes your WML code more readable right?

Now the problem occurs when MODIFY_UNIT was making changes to the temporary variable and it wasn't modifying your own variable "tower[$i]", so your variable still has the old unit stats. Therefore, when you unstore "tower[$i]" you put the old unit on the map and overwrite the one that was unstored by MODIFY_UNIT.
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/User:Sapient... "Looks like your skills saved us again. Uh, well at least, they saved Soarin's apple pie."
Anonymissimus
Inactive Developer

Post by Anonymissimus »

Sapient wrote:With the convenient MODIFY_UNIT macro, it takes care of storing and unstoring for you. It stores the filtered unit(s) into a temporary variable (different from your variable), makes one single change, then unstores it. All that extra storing and unstoring does however, make this approach a bit bulky in the savefile when it is called many times in a row. But who cares about a few extra lines in the savefile if it makes your WML code more readable right?
In 1.9 you can use the [modify_unit] tag for this - changing all required attributes with a single call, store/unstore process and very few code both preprocessed and non-preprocessed. :)[/advertisement]
projects (BfW 1.12):
A Simple Campaign: campaign draft for wml startersPlan Your Advancements: mp mod
The Earth's Gut: sp campaignSettlers of Wesnoth: mp scenarioWesnoth Lua Pack: lua tags and utils
updated to 1.8 and handed over: A Gryphon's Tale: sp campaign
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

Anonymissimus wrote: In 1.9 you can use the [modify_unit] tag for this - changing all required attributes with a single call, store/unstore process and very few code both preprocessed and non-preprocessed. :)[/advertisement]
Right, it is much more compact. That is a good advertisement. :geek:
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/User:Sapient... "Looks like your skills saved us again. Uh, well at least, they saved Soarin's apple pie."
A Guy

Post by A Guy »

Anonymissimus wrote:
Sapient wrote:With the convenient MODIFY_UNIT macro, it takes care of storing and unstoring for you. It stores the filtered unit(s) into a temporary variable (different from your variable), makes one single change, then unstores it. All that extra storing and unstoring does however, make this approach a bit bulky in the savefile when it is called many times in a row. But who cares about a few extra lines in the savefile if it makes your WML code more readable right?
In 1.9 you can use the [modify_unit] tag for this - changing all required attributes with a single call, store/unstore process and very few code both preprocessed and non-preprocessed. :)[/advertisement]
I do prefer manually modifying the variable, as that allows me to add and subtract and multiply and divide.
I'm just... a guy...
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

Good point. Not sure if it does this already or not, but it should autostore $this_unit to allow use of FormulaAI Lanugage.

e.g.:

hitpoints="$($this_unit.hitpoints / 2)"
Anonymissimus
Inactive Developer

Post by Anonymissimus »

Sapient wrote:Good point. Not sure if it does this already or not, but it should autostore $this_unit to allow use of FormulaAI Lanugage.

e.g.:

Done in r48922.
projects (BfW 1.12):
A Simple Campaign: campaign draft for wml startersPlan Your Advancements: mp mod
The Earth's Gut: sp campaignSettlers of Wesnoth: mp scenarioWesnoth Lua Pack: lua tags and utils
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

Anonymissimus wrote:
Sapient wrote:Good point. Not sure if it does this already or not, but it should autostore $this_unit to allow use of FormulaAI Lanugage.

e.g.:

Done in r48922.
Thanks. I reviewed the code a little bit and it looks like it should work fine, but I'm no Lua expert.

It's a pity that you can't make use of the C++ utilities for lazy storing into a scope-controlled variable stack, but I suppose it won't make any difference from a practical viewpoint since ActionWML can't be stacked over FilterWML and overwriting/clearing this_unit should thus bear no consequence.
Anonymissimus
Inactive Developer

Post by Anonymissimus »

Sapient wrote: It's a pity that you can't make use of the C++ utilities for lazy storing into a scope-controlled variable stack, but I suppose it won't make any difference from a practical viewpoint since ActionWML can't be stacked over FilterWML and overwriting/clearing this_unit should thus bear no consequence.
Not quite sure I understand. The process are two steps however - first all units are gathered and then all are modified so it is unrelated to the this_unit variable usable in the SUF.

Where are the formulas evaluated btw ? (IIRC that belongs to your area of expertise Sapient). They're just handed over at wesnoth.set_variable as they are.
projects (BfW 1.12):