Wesnoth User Made Content IDE [2.0.3]

The place to post your WML questions and answers.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
  • Please use [code] BBCode tags in your posts for embedding WML snippets.
  • To keep your code readable so that others can easily help you, make sure to indent it following our conventions.

What's your usage of the UMC IDE?

I don't use it, but I plan to.
42%
I don't use it and I don't plan to.
26%
I use it seldom
18%
I use it regularly.
14%

Total votes: 57

Scaeb

Re: Wesnoth Eclipse User Made Content Plugin

Post by Scaeb »

Alternatively, you can find out in Terminal about the path of you r python installation by

Code: Select all

which python
Moderator Emeritus

Post by 8680 »

Velensk wrote:I'm pretty sure OSX comes with Python but that it is hidden.
Comes with an obsolete version, yes. See here.
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

Got that working with your help but ran into another problem.

I had assumed that the Wesnoth Executable path would be a path to the wesnoth application? When I click apply with that entered however, the path clears, so presumably this is wrong. What am I actually supposed to be linking this too?
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
timotei
Inactive Developer

Post by timotei »

Velensk wrote:Got that working with your help but ran into another problem.

I had assumed that the Wesnoth Executable path would be a path to the wesnoth application? When I click apply with that entered however, the path clears, so presumably this is wrong. What am I actually supposed to be linking this too?
Well, IIRC the mac's ".app" "applications" are mere directories. You need to dive deeper into: Contents/MacOS/wesnoth.

I'll try and see how I can fix that "problem" (blame Apple for that).
Wesnoth User Made Content IDE/Plugin - an easier way of developing new content for Wesnoth.
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

I got around it (created a finder shortcut to the inside of the folder) but encountered an odd behavior while attempting to create the workspace.

It was as though the IDE was attempting to open Wesnoth repeatedly, the icon flashed on the doc slid to the left vanished and reappeared at a rate of about twice per second until it gave up on a java.lang.nullpointer exception that one of the UMC apparently was suffering from.

EDIT: It looks like I should be able to get all my projects into the workspace despite the null pointer exceptions I just have to import them one at a time by repeatedly attempting to create the workspace. It'll stop after each one but it will get it in.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
uncleshelby

Post by uncleshelby »

This looks REALLY cool, but I can't find any way to save, other than closing it, when it asks you if you want to save. Which is kind of annoying.
Timshel
timotei
Inactive Developer

Post by timotei »

@velensk:
Did you upgrade the UMC plugin version? I fixed that NullPointerException

@obnoxius-man:
Saving what? :)
Wesnoth User Made Content IDE/Plugin - an easier way of developing new content for Wesnoth.
Crendgrim
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Crendgrim »

@obnoxious-man:
I think you speak of saving .cfg and other plain text files since that's the only file type you modify directly in Eclipse.
IIRC the standalone version doesn't change Eclipse's main GUI elements. If it does, I apologize.

Here is at least how saving is done in Eclipse:
elipse_plugin_save.png
elipse_plugin_save.png (4.31 KiB) Viewed 3890 times
Look at the last row. The second icon from the left means "Save file" and the third "Save all modified files". Alternatively, you could press Ctrl+S to save the current file.

Crend
UMC Story Images — Story images for your campaign!
uncleshelby

Post by uncleshelby »

Er, sorry I wasn't more specific...

On the standalone version I can't find any save icons. I geuss I could just use Ctrl-S.
Timshel
tuggyne

Plugin not regenerating preprocessor output files

Post by tuggyne »

Using the Eclipse plugin form, v1.0.3.

Background: I'm working on an MP scenario, and tried to disable AI recruitment for a particular side by using AI_SIMPLE_ALWAYS_ASPECT_VALUE etc in an event. Unfortunately, this led to a syntax error somewhere. Naturally, I decided to track it down using the preprocessed file.

Problem: The temp files representing preprocessor output aren't getting regenerated properly -- when I right-clicked the scenario .cfg and selected Preprocessor -> Show preprocessed file, the output had no traces of the macro output, and appeared to be identical to what the previous version's output would have been.
I tried deleting the temp file, but that didn't help -- now whenever I try to view preprocessor output, Eclipse indicates that it can't find the file, so apparently the plugin isn't regenerating the file even when it gets deleted.

Tried so far: Deleting temp file (changed symptoms as above); cleaning and rebuilding project; restarting Eclipse; making minor changes to the file and rebuilding; commenting out changes and rebuilding.

Any ideas on how to fix or work around this?
timotei
Inactive Developer

Post by timotei »

Hi there!

Are you using the eclipse standalone version? If not, then you don't need that steps. Just go to: Project-> Clean, and select the project, the files will be recompiled again :)

Timo
tuggyne

Post by tuggyne »

I tried that, but nothing seems to happen to the generated files (they stay blank, or absent from the filesystem, or whatever state they were before).

Also, after my previous post, I looked up the wesnoth.exe --preprocess parameter, and tried various command lines to try to make it work manually. However, no matter what I do, I can't seem to get that to output anything other than blank files — and a lot of attempts gave various error messages instead. (I'll probably post about that separately in a more apropos thread, but it occurs to me that the root cause might be a somehow corrupted installation.)
timotei
Inactive Developer

Post by timotei »

So you are saying this is an issue of --preprocess? Maybe make a new thread and link it here, I may help you.

Anyway, if the preprocessor doesn't output anything, then your WML must be broken. Check for errors in the stderr/output.
tuggyne

Post by tuggyne »

timotei wrote:So you are saying this is an issue of --preprocess? Maybe make a new thread and link it here, I may help you.

Anyway, if the preprocessor doesn't output anything, then your WML must be broken. Check for errors in the stderr/output.
Indeed it was. Heh, I had just managed to figure that out and was coming back to post a somewhat abashed conclusion here when I saw your post. After much toil I managed to get the right parameters going and make sense of the --preprocess stderr.txt messages, then figured out what was wrong with my WML to cause this.

Of course... the reason I'd wanted the preprocessor output in the first place is because, while I knew I had a WML problem, I was trying to figure out exactly where in the complex macro stack it was... quite the catch-22 there! I guess that's not a viable use-case for the preprocessor output at present?

Anyway, thanks for bearing with me, hehe.
doktorvivi

Post by doktorvivi »

So, I'm trying to use the standalone version, but I have to set up the workspace first and I have to pick out a bunch of directories... where exactly should the 'user data directory' and 'WML* tools directory' point to? There's nothing in the readme...