Wesnoth User Made Content IDE [2.0.3]

The place to post your WML questions and answers.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
  • Please use [code] BBCode tags in your posts for embedding WML snippets.
  • To keep your code readable so that others can easily help you, make sure to indent it following our conventions.

What's your usage of the UMC IDE?

I don't use it, but I plan to.
42%
I don't use it and I don't plan to.
26%
I use it seldom
18%
I use it regularly.
14%

Total votes: 57

timotei
Inactive Developer

Re: Wesnoth Eclipse User Made Content Plugin

Post by timotei »

cephalo wrote:
timotei wrote:Hmm, are you sure it asks for campaign? It should ask you just for difficulty :)
Yes, it skips the main menu and goes right to the campaign picker on a black background, once I select my campaign, it then asks for difficulty. Could it be because I only have one scenario?
Please, if you can, send me the project directory so I can check myself what the problem is.

Thanks.
Wesnoth User Made Content IDE/Plugin - an easier way of developing new content for Wesnoth.
cephalo

Post by cephalo »

Sent a PM with attachment.
timotei
Inactive Developer

Post by timotei »

Hello,

GNA is down, so I can't check the 1.3 version source code. However, in the current 2.0 (not released yet) plugin version, I've seen the problem. Somehow when checking for the included folders, I get:

Code: Select all

# add here custom code
	{~add-ons/addon_name/scenarios}
So, that comment is mangling the code :)

I'll check it and try to fix it :)
Wesnoth User Made Content IDE/Plugin - an easier way of developing new content for Wesnoth.
cephalo

Post by cephalo »

I removed that comment, and I'm still getting the campaign picker. Is this something I can fix on my own? I'm not sure I understand the issue.
timotei
Inactive Developer

Post by timotei »

cephalo wrote:I removed that comment, and I'm still getting the campaign picker. Is this something I can fix on my own? I'm not sure I understand the issue.
And, there's one more thing: there is a \t (tab) before the include. It seems I forgot to check for that. However, I've fixed the issue properly now in trunk.

I do hope to release 2.0 the next week, so a little bit of patience. If you really want to check, just replace the tab before the include of the scenarios folder, and use spaces instead (and yeah, the comment be removed). That should do it for now :)
cephalo

Post by cephalo »

timotei wrote: And, there's one more thing: there is a \t (tab) before the include. It seems I forgot to check for that. However, I've fixed the issue properly now in trunk.

I do hope to release 2.0 the next week, so a little bit of patience. If you really want to check, just replace the tab before the include of the scenarios folder, and use spaces instead (and yeah, the comment be removed). That should do it for now :)
Hmm, I removed the comment and the tab, and even the spaces eventually, but I still have the same issue. How exactly did you write that section to get it to work?
timotei
Inactive Developer

Post by timotei »

cephalo wrote:
timotei wrote: And, there's one more thing: there is a \t (tab) before the include. It seems I forgot to check for that. However, I've fixed the issue properly now in trunk.

Hmm, I removed the comment and the tab, and even the spaces eventually, but I still have the same issue. How exactly did you write that section to get it to work?
If it still gives you the problem, then maybe in the 1.3 it wasn't so good implemented. I remember I still used the wml parser tool back then.

I advise you to wait till the next week, when I'll release 2.0. I will hopefully be able to create also some mini-tutorial videos on how to properly use the IDE :)
cephalo

Post by cephalo »

No problem waiting, but I do have some more information. I got around to making a second scenario, using the scenario wizard and filling out the basic stuff like a map and a side and the textdomain. This time when I try to start scenario 2, I get "I couldn't get the scenario's ID or the file is not a scenario."
Cybermouse

Post by Cybermouse »

Where's this version 2.0? :D I can't wait to try it!

Having some troubles with the current one (hopefully version 2 will fix these).

First I'd simply like to confirm that, as mentioned above, the only way to save is to press Ctrl + S. The toolbar doesn't exist in the standalone version.

My main trouble came when I tried to use the eclipse plugin rather than the standalone version, since the standalone version seems pretty sparse. Most of the standard menus and helpful things are gone, making it rather difficult and awkward to use.

When I tried to move over to eclipse, the 'Setup Workspace' wizard gave me an error upon trying to create projects automatically. I believe all my folders and such are set correctly (I have Python 2.6 installed). I tried running the wizard, both while leaving the .project and .wesnoth files in their various addon/project folders, and after deleting them. I got the same error both times.

Also, with either version, the context menus are no longer being shown (i.e. "Open this scenario in Wesnoth"). I saw them briefly in the standalone version (not sure what I did to make them disappear) but when I tried clicking those, it said I needed a valid _main.cfg even though there was one - my campaign runs fine in Wesnoth with that very same _main.cfg file, so that was yet another puzzling issue. I tried running that option from multiple .cfg files (scenarios, the _main, and others) but none changed the outcome.
Cybermouse
<:8( )~
timotei
Inactive Developer

Post by timotei »

Hello,

Thanks a lot for reminding me. A lot of things came up recently (just started another semester) and got caught up in the waters. I'll try to mobilize and get 2.0 out this week :) I had some little problems with the autocompletion - didn't worked like I wanted, so that took a bit of time to fix it properly :)

PS: I hope more and more people will try the plugin, so I'll get feedback on how to enhance it more :) - and make it more usable if it's not really so.

And to respond to your questions:
1) yeah, I've fixed pretty much all the problems regarding the "too few" things in the standalone app (save button, toolbars, etc)
2) The parsing stuff, and the "no valid whatever" come due to the source being not parsed (fine). That shall be fixed in the 2.0 version too.
3) What errors did you get on the `setup workspace` command? I guess I'll add a `send logs` feature in 2.0 so it will be more easily to get the problems you have.
4) If the context menus don't appear, it means the project isn't a wesnoth one. (You could fix that by selecting: Wesnoth->Add Wesnoth nature). I'll try and make that more intuitive. Probably, something like adding automatically the "nature" (that's how it's called in eclipse) to the projects that contain _main.cfg, or .cfg files. I'll have to think about it.

Thanks for the patience,
Timo
Max

Post by Max »

timotei wrote:I'll try to mobilize and get 2.0 out this week
cool - thanks!

i'm still thinking about how to get the message out to users. even though 1.0 had some annoying bugs it's still much better than what (i guess) 90% of umc creators are using (editors without syntax highlighting, some can't even handle utf8 correctly).

so how about some kind of enterprise edition that includes this plugin? i guess it could be done for windows & mac, much harder for linux. still quite some burden for the package maintainers.

even on mac & win - the installer needs to be aware of the userdata location and modify the eclipse workspace directory accordingly. and then there's 32 & 64bit versions for windows. that's because some 64bit systems might not have java 32bit installed?

still would be awesome if the integration would be as tight as with the map editor.
cephalo

Post by cephalo »

While were on the topic of little fixes, I noticed that when I use an apostrophe (') inside a double quotes, it will still complete a closing (') as if it were closing a string. I kept getting extra (')s at the end of my dialog and it took me a while to figure out why. It probably shouldn't do that inside a quoted string.
Cybermouse

Post by Cybermouse »

cephalo wrote:While were on the topic of little fixes, I noticed that when I use an apostrophe (') inside a double quotes, it will still complete a closing (') as if it were closing a string. I kept getting extra (')s at the end of my dialog and it took me a while to figure out why. It probably shouldn't do that inside a quoted string.
I agree. The convenience of not having to type the closing apostrophe for nested quotes certainly isn't worth the added annoyance of having to delete it when it's unnecessary. Personally, I like typing the closing apostrophe because it gets me out of there without having to use the arrow keys.
timotei wrote:3) What errors did you get on the `setup workspace` command?
Nothing too helpful, it just says, "There was an error setting up the workspace." I chose "yes" to create projects for each add-on folder, and "no" to create projects for each mainline campaign.

One quick question. Does anyone know if Eclipse or the Wesnoth Standalone IDE support/use MDI? Or otherwise, allow use of Vim's -P argument, which, given a window title, pops Vim into the MDI environment as another window, allowing you to comfortably and painlessly use Vim as your in-IDE editor. Of course, I'm guessing the answer is no, since I've already tried this, but I was hoping I just got the window title wrong or something.
Cybermouse
<:8( )~
timotei
Inactive Developer

Post by timotei »

Hmm, regarding the "auto-closing" of the could you please give me an example? I've tried something like:

name="my'name"
And it didn't automatically close the ' thingy.

Also, regarding the MDI stuff, IIRC eclipse doesn't support (without writing a plugin, that is) using external editors for different files :).
cephalo

Post by cephalo »

timotei wrote:Hmm, regarding the "auto-closing" of the could you please give me an example? I've tried something like:

name="my'name"
And it didn't automatically close the ' thingy.

Also, regarding the MDI stuff, IIRC eclipse doesn't support (without writing a plugin, that is) using external editors for different files :).
Hmm, this issue is more complicated than I thought. All of a sudden I can't repeat it.