Hi, again, again, again...

The place to post your WML questions and answers.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
  • Please use [code] BBCode tags in your posts for embedding WML snippets.
  • To keep your code readable so that others can easily help you, make sure to indent it following our conventions.
Shawer

Hi, again, again, again...

Post by Shawer »

I have alot of problems, dont I?
Heres the newest one, ive been trying to get a 1.7 multiplayer scenario file thingy working, but this message keeps coming up no matter what i do to fix the problem, i even copy and pasted part of the wikia thing in where it looked like the problem was and...nothing changed!
Heres the error message... and Gerard Ryan is my dad's name, not mine.
Attachments
Picture 23.png
Lord Ork
Code Contributor

Re: Hi, again, again, again...

Post by Lord Ork »

It seems you have some [tag] without its [/tag]. The recommended way to do detect where the hell it is is to delete sections of the code until the error disappears. Obviously, you should backup your file first, so you can later restore the pieces you deleted.

One more thing, please consider using descriptive titles as "Missing closing tag error when loading scenario" , so people able to help you will be more attracted to enter. Your subject only suggest you are saying hi.
It is ok to correct me if my English is too bad.

Working on Cunnicula Civil War
StDrake

Post by StDrake »

from the error it already seems like there's something funny going on with / and \ signs, but probably the real cause of the error is you forgot a " or } somewhere, the most commong reason for the 'missing tag' error. That parser does need better debugging message :D
Like cats? I've made a whole faction of them to kick ass with!
Don't like cats? I've made a whole faction of them to kick their asses! So everyone's happy :)
Felinian faction is part of the Beyond Southern Hells era
kitties need sprites! art topic here
silene

Post by silene »

StDrake wrote:That parser does need better debugging message :D
The message is quite clear. It says that the [multiplayer] tag on line 1 is not closed. It also says that the thing the parser is currently doing is reading a string started on line 23. So it most probably means there is a missing quote somewhere on line 23 (but it may also be earlier, if you are extremely unlucky). What more could the message say?
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

silene wrote:
StDrake wrote:That parser does need better debugging message :D
The message is quite clear. It says that the [multiplayer] tag on line 1 is not closed. It also says that the thing the parser is currently doing is reading a string started on line 23. So it most probably means there is a missing quote somewhere on line 23 (but it may also be earlier, if you are extremely unlucky). What more could the message say?
Well, it could say what you just said.

For example, it's not like it actually says anywhere that 'the thing the parser is currently doing is reading a string started on line 23', just 'value " at <file>:23' which to most people doesn't say anything (even if they can figure out that somewhere around line 23 is where they should take a look).
silene

Post by silene »

zookeeper wrote:
silene wrote: The message is quite clear. It says that the [multiplayer] tag on line 1 is not closed. It also says that the thing the parser is currently doing is reading a string started on line 23. So it most probably means there is a missing quote somewhere on line 23 (but it may also be earlier, if you are extremely unlucky). What more could the message say?
Well, it could say what you just said.
In fact no, it doesn't, sorry. I take a quick glance at it, and it looks like this part of the code was heavily modified more than one year ago. It seems quite different from how it used to be when we first designed it. So the message is kind of pointless, as line 23 is probably the last line of the file.
Anonymissimus
Inactive Developer

Post by Anonymissimus »

In this context, I'd like to point out that these preprocessor error messages about missing closing signs do not (no longer ?) point to positions that seem to have anything to do with the real error position. The according file with a missing } even isn't mentioned at all (just tested).
projects (BfW 1.12):
A Simple Campaign: campaign draft for wml startersPlan Your Advancements: mp mod
The Earth's Gut: sp campaignSettlers of Wesnoth: mp scenarioWesnoth Lua Pack: lua tags and utils
updated to 1.8 and handed over: A Gryphon's Tale: sp campaign
solsword
Code Contributor

Post by solsword »

It's extremely difficult, in many cases, to tell where the "real error position" is, relative to a missing closing tag. After all, there are many potential places where you could have closed that tag...

However, since you're using 1.7, look at the *full* debugging output (on Windows, "stderr.txt" I think, should be output to a console on other OSes when you run Wesnoth from a console). As of 1.7 or 1.6 sometime, there are nifty new debugging messages which don't get displayed in game, but which usually pinpoint the error. The most common cause of this error that I've seen is a macro with the wrong number of arguments. And if you look at the rest of the debugging output, just above the copy of that error message that you posted, there'll be another error message saying something like "wrong number of arguments to macro on line 57: expected 4, got 5" or some such. Fix errors starting with the ones that appear on top in your debugging output, and the other ones will likely go away (as they are in many cases caused by the previous errors).

Now, there's probably a flag that you can pass to Wesnoth to get it to display these other errors in-game (normally they're not displayed because they're classified as non-critical: the game *thinks* that it can go on and ignore them), but I don't know what it is.
The Knights of the Silver Spire campaign.

http://www.cs.hmc.edu/~pmawhorter - my website.

Teamcolors for everyone! PM me for a teamcolored version of your sprite, or you can do it yourself. If you just happen to like magenta, no hard feelings?