Insane Hermit bugs

The place to post your WML questions and answers.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
  • Please use [code] BBCode tags in your posts for embedding WML snippets.
  • To keep your code readable so that others can easily help you, make sure to indent it following our conventions.
EvilEarl
Location: It's not like you will ever find me, so I won't take the effort to remember where I am.

Insane Hermit bugs

Post by EvilEarl »

I have recently released the campaign Insane Hermit. Everything seemed to work until I upgraded to 1.6.3, now I get some error about the border size being 1 when the usage is map and I have those settings. Insane Hermit is available for download on the add-on server and I want to get this campaign working again. I am accepting help from anyone who can post errors they find and how to fix them. If this is stuff that's fixed in 1.6.4, I'll have to wait until the linux version gets out.
Current Project:
Insane Hermit
That second campaign will probably become a book instead, or a movie or a game or something. Sorry guys.
melinath

Re: Insane Hermit bugs

Post by melinath »

EvilEarl wrote:I want to get this campaign working again. I am accepting help from anyone who can post errors they find and how to fix them.
EvilEarl, it's really easy to debug your WML. It'll be a lot better for you as a scenario developer if you try it yourself - at least enough to figure out where the problem is. Asking for people to find and solve all the problems is not going to work. I got it working basically for you once; I don't feel like doing it for you again, especially when it doesn't look like you've done any work on the problem yourself.
EvilEarl
Location: It's not like you will ever find me, so I won't take the effort to remember where I am.

Post by EvilEarl »

sorry about that, I just was under a lot of stress from a lot of stuff including how my campaign needs to have a lot of work done because of how wesnoth 1.6.3 doesn't like it. I've solved the map problem and I am currently working out other errors.
Current Project:
Insane Hermit
That second campaign will probably become a book instead, or a movie or a game or something. Sorry guys.
melinath

Post by melinath »

Glad to hear it! Don't burn yourself out. If there're any specific questions you can't solve, post 'em.
EvilEarl

Post by EvilEarl »

I apologize again for thinking I could let other people fix my problems.
I managed to get the map files updated and they work.
I just have a small request, as the next error I've encountered doesn't make sense.

The game says that I'm "missing closing tag for attack" for one of my unit files on line 39. Here is the portion of the attack code for it. Line 39 is the first line.

Code: Select all

[attack]

name=stone launch

description=_"stone launch"

icon=attacks/faerie-fire.png

type=impact

range=ranged

damage=12

number=6

[specials]

{WEAPON_SPECIAL_MAGICAL}

[/specials]

[/attack]
It also says something about value " on line 45 for this file.
Current Project:
Insane Hermit
Huston

Post by Huston »

there is nothing wrong with that portion of the code. are you missing any quotation marks in the scenario file after you fixed the mapdata path?
coded Rebellion During the Dark Age
Currently working on:
Era of the Future
EvilEarl

Post by EvilEarl »

I can't think of any nor can I find any in that file. Do you think it would help to run wmllint on it? I'd try but I can't figure it out.
Current Project:
Insane Hermit
Huston

Post by Huston »

no. it' is extremely difficult to run Wmllint.
can you post a screenshot of the error message?
Currently working on:
Era of the Future
A Guy

Post by A Guy »

Try putting the image in quotation marks.
I'm just... a guy...
I'm back for now, I might get started on some work again.
EvilEarl

Post by EvilEarl »

here is the screenshot
Screenshot-1.png
The earth warrior file is the important one, as the other files just direct to it.
Current Project:
Insane Hermit
Mathemagician

Post by Mathemagician »

Does that unit have another attack before line 39? If so, make sure that one has balanced tags, and quotes where needed.
Formerly NeoPhile
EvilEarl

Post by EvilEarl »

checked all of that, and even put the image files in quotes, I get the same error.
Current Project:
Insane Hermit
Huston

Post by Huston »

that means it isn't in the unit file. cut and paste the unit file from the campaign folder to your desktop temporarily and then try running the campaign. you should either get no error or an error saying it couldn't find the unit when it tries to load that unit.
if either of these happens that means that the error actually is in the unit file. if you get a error message saying anything else than congats you just narrowed down where the error could be by 1 file.
Currently working on:
Era of the Future
EvilEarl

Post by EvilEarl »

Do the recent versions of wesnoth have a change where attack specials like magical have to be defined differently? As I cut out the Earth Warrior and now it's saying that I'm missing closing tag for chance_to_hit for the line defining the weapon special as magical for an attack in a different unit file (Flame Embodiment, I'm hoping this is alphabetical as that would mean the arcane units are stable).

I figure that if I keep getting stuff like this, I'm gonna figure out what unit files aren't broken and use one of those as a base to redo the buggy files.

EDIT: I wish that there would be a list of exact WML changes in new releases for the UMC developers to use. Just a thought.
Current Project:
Insane Hermit
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

EvilEarl wrote:I wish that there would be a list of exact WML changes in new releases for the UMC developers to use. Just a thought.
Exact List of WML Changes

I wish people would actually read the announcements and stickies in a forum. Just a thought.
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time