Multiplayer Shop Menu: Is he idle or just shopping?

The place to post your WML questions and answers.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
  • Please use [code] BBCode tags in your posts for embedding WML snippets.
  • To keep your code readable so that others can easily help you, make sure to indent it following our conventions.
Skizzaltix

Re: Multiplayer Shop Menu: Is he idle or just shopping?

Post by Skizzaltix »

@Sapient:
There's a case of forum-injustice: Your post seemed so logical that when nobody was expanding upon the topic, I assumed that there was some flaw in it that had already been pointed out :neutral:

So, has what he suggested been tried?
-stf-

Post by -stf- »

Skizzaltix wrote:@Sapient:
There's a case of forum-injustice: Your post seemed so logical that when nobody was expanding upon the topic, I assumed that there was some flaw in it that had already been pointed out :neutral:

So, has what he suggested been tried?
Yes, as you see at end of my post, but it needs complete redesigning the shop and right-clicking on unit for every item as in normal shop is shown, can take about 3x more time for same result - calculate i.e. 30x click on buy +1 dmg, can be really fast in normal shop, do the same with right-click menu... Even if you use only one menu item for one cathegory in shop, it can take some time to show.

Conception I like to get working:
- entering shop with sound of opening the door of shop
- show text message on screen with [print] and play sound for all players
- shop session (normal shop menu)
- update stats of unit to all players
- leaving shop with sound of closed door of shop
- optionally show text message on screen with [print]
voris

Post by voris »

Just one [set_message] should be enough, no? If you just have moveto event trigger a [set_message] rather than an interactive [message] loop then you can put the whole interactive [message] loop within the [set_message] right? Then you're not dealing with a half dozen (or more) right clicks. You have the same relatively quick shop interface, it just has to be initiated by a right-click first. That means your unit will have moved to the shop hex and then everyone else should be able to see you on the shop which avoids the whole "is he idle or is he shopping?" thing. I'm going to give that a shot on the shop code I'm working on.
MCP

Post by MCP »

@Sapient
Yes, but you seemed to mean the right click menu, and I thought/think that is a bad interface for the user. There is always the problem that new players will go onto the shop and complain "It is not working", even if some label is changed locally to say "Right Click your hero to access menu". Which one is worse? We gotta try it out to find out. Not until yesterday was I sure the alternatives wouldn't work.

What I tried last night:
The pre-shop doesn't work. Like -stf- is saying, two events on the same spot don't work ;(.

Voris: Thanks. I'm sure -stf- and I will reference your post while we check it out.
-stf-

Post by -stf- »

voris wrote:Just one [set_message] should be enough, no?
I don't see [set_message] tag anywhere in the wiki, is this new tag in development version or just mistake (just now I do only for 1.4.x, development version has still too much changes between versions)?

I did a workaround just 1 hour ago, I'll upload it few minutes, I just tested that and it works. But still there is question how to do whole shop procedure as i wrote before.

Current Shop procedure (SXCollection 0.0.14):
Moving on shop activates Shop right-click menu for that unit "Enter shop", which opens standard Shop menu as in normal Shop event, but move updates screen for all players before this can happen. On first move to shop is shown dialog that is informing player about new function.

Still I hope for future that events will become separate and WML will have command for synchronization in multiplayer. If I'll have more time in future, I'll try to change this myself in source and post it, but now I can't do it, because I have much more things to do. Maybe someone will do it faster than me.
Last edited by -stf- on December 15th, 2008, 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
voris

Post by voris »

-stf- wrote:
voris wrote:Just one [set_message] should be enough, no?
I don't see [set_message] tag anywhere in the wiki, is this new tag in development version or just mistake (just now I do only for 1.4.x, development version has still too much changes between versions)?
Gah! Just a mistake. I was clearly coding a message tag before writing that. :) I meant [set_menu_item].
MCP

Post by MCP »

Ok I have it tried and tested, foriegners who do not speak english do not know how to enter the shop via right click.

There is no way to instruct them except in a language they comprehend.
Golbeeze

Post by Golbeeze »

That was my initial reaction to the right-click menu. It seems to be a rather strong difference from what players have become accustomed to and not readily explainable in-game.
My_Own_Minion: get rid of the scientist, i can take the blind guy

Talkative: You're like the Wizard of Oz, but evil.

Add-ons in 1.8: Golbeeze's Maps, Golbeeze's RPGs, Evolving Era
Contributor to and Maintainer of Mercenaries
-stf-

Post by -stf- »

MCP wrote:Ok I have it tried and tested, foriegners who do not speak english do not know how to enter the shop via right click.

There is no way to instruct them except in a language they comprehend.
Included text is done as translatable, so it just needs translations.
As preffered server language is english, I think it's ok for multiplayer, in addition also weapon names and other lines (options) are in english also in normal shop, so I don't think it's too big problem - people that are not understanding what they are buying, will not play it too. Don't take it as anything against them, if there is anybody who want help me with translations, he can, just send me PM in this forum (for SXCollection).

Also it has one advantage - you can leave shop and return back without moving, which can help if you need to see stats of your unit before shopping or you are surrounded on shop with less hp and you can't move without attacking which will kill you.
It's the same with High Seas and people are playing it too. Always there is someone who knows and can tell others what they should do.

Who want to use standard shop event, it's not problem also, it can be used simultaneously with right click menu access to achieve this advantage, but until that time, when will be any chance to send actual data to other players within event (in part, which is not interactive, so it can't generate OOS, can be at start or at end of event, but ignored in [message] tag), include text shown on screen (not dialogs, but those in [print] tag), or at least sending separate events results (each event as one piece not connected with other events), this is the only way how to inform other players, that current player is really online, as he can't respond while he is shopping and if it takes more time, he is often kicked or control of his unit is given to another player in the middle of his shopping session. What is more pain I'll let on you.
Max

Post by Max »

-stf- wrote:If this is so, then I don't see any problem in dividing replay data and/or player input into 2 or more parts with special keyword. If I can find where it is in source (it's too complex for me at this time - not enough time to study this) I think it can be changed with no problem. It's the same as I can send all this text as 1 message or I can divide it into 3 messages, all containing only i.e. 4 lines of text. Result is also the same.
this might be a lot trickier than you think...
CIB
Code Contributor

Post by CIB »

-stf- wrote: Don't say it's determined only by move
I said it was only determined by the player's non-WML actions, but I forgot that there was indeed an action you could set via WML and which would synchronize - The right-click menu. It's still quite limited though, only updating everytime you do a right-click action.