One side, multiple leaders, seperate recruits

The place to post your WML questions and answers.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
  • Please use [code] BBCode tags in your posts for embedding WML snippets.
  • To keep your code readable so that others can easily help you, make sure to indent it following our conventions.
Joat

One side, multiple leaders, seperate recruits

Post by Joat »

In my campaign, there will be multiple leaders on one side. Is it possible to create a seperate recruit list for each unit with canrecruit=1?

If not directly, can anyone think of a workaround way of doing it, without creating a seperate side for each leader?
Science is the new Magic.
DDR

Post by DDR »

Nope, and nope. Sorry.
Aethaeryn
Translator

Re: One side, multiple leaders, seperate recruits

Post by Aethaeryn »

Joat wrote:In my campaign, there will be multiple leaders on one side. Is it possible to create a seperate recruit list for each unit with canrecruit=1?

If not directly, can anyone think of a workaround way of doing it, without creating a seperate side for each leader?
See how SotBE in the development version in one level has a separate side for Gruu which takes all of your trolls and allows only recruiting trolls and then they merge together next scenario. That's the best you can do though, a separate side.

EDIT: SotBE, not UtBS. Trolls confuse me sometimes. :P
Last edited by Aethaeryn on December 27th, 2007, 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aethaeryn (User Page)
Wiki Moderator (wiki)
Latin Translator [wiki=Latin Translation](wiki)[/wiki]
Maintainer of Thunderstone Era (wiki) and Aethaeryn's Maps [wiki=Aethaeryn's Maps](wiki)[/wiki]
Joat

Post by Joat »

Hm… You know, I think I just had an idea. Using a combination of the set_recruit tag and moveto trigger, I should be able to dynamically have the game change the recruit list based on what units are on the Keep hexes.

The only drawback is one that arises if multiple keeps are occupied, which would allow Commander X to summon their units at a keep occupied by Summoner Y, and vice versa. But then again, it doesn’t sound too farfetched for a commander to hire a unit to help a different commander at their keep.
Ken_Oh
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Ken_Oh »

Just create a right-click command that simulates recruitment.
deoxy

Post by deoxy »

Ken Oh wrote:Just create a right-click command that simulates recruitment.
This makes it all possible... but boy, what a pain.
Insert nifty witticism here... if only I had one.
Noyga
Inactive Developer

Post by Noyga »

You can use multiple sides to do this...
That's how "Elf war" (I'm not sure about the exact title) used to work...
"Ooh, man, my mage had a 30% chance to miss, but he still managed to hit! Awesome!" ;) -- xtifr
Joat

Post by Joat »

Ken Oh wrote:Just create a right-click command that simulates recruitment.
And how does one do this? Does this involve hacking the game itself?
Noyga wrote:You can use multiple sides to do this...
That's how "Elf war" (I'm not sure about the exact title) used to work...
I know. My question, though, was:
Joat wrote:If not directly, can anyone think of a workaround way of doing it, without creating a seperate side for each leader?
DDR

Post by DDR »

You'd have to go with the menu item simulated recruit is you wanted to have multiple leaders on one side. The [set_menu_item] tag will put in a new item in the right-click menu, but only in the 1.3.x line. :)
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

No one in their right mind would want to use the right-click menu method for simulating recruiting. It's just horribly ugly.

I'd advice you to just drop the idea of multiple leaders on one side.
Joat

Post by Joat »

Perhaps there is some way I could use that tag to edit the normal recruit command to run a list-editing script right before it initiates its normal code. But that will require further investigation, of course.
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Joat wrote:Perhaps there is some way I could use that tag to edit the normal recruit command to run a list-editing script right before it initiates its normal code. But that will require further investigation, of course.
I don't know what you're saying, but I can assure you you can't do that.
DDR

Post by DDR »

I dunno. Sounds do-able, via WML. You can definitely change the recruits in an event. However, triggering the event before you show the standard recruit dialog may be a problem. If you are using a right-click simulated recruit, the principal does not apply. You can filter it then and there!
CIB
Code Contributor

Post by CIB »

DDR wrote:However, triggering the event before you show the standard recruit dialog may be a problem.
Not as long there is only one keep per castle. With the moveto event you can make sure the unit that can recruit is recognized.
Ken_Oh
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Ken_Oh »

You know, it's probably easier to have a right-click command that switches who is the one unit at that moment that can recruit.

At any rate, Joat, it's probably going to take a while for you to figure this out, if ever.