WML highlighter for Notepad++

The place to post your WML questions and answers.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
  • Please use [code] BBCode tags in your posts for embedding WML snippets.
  • To keep your code readable so that others can easily help you, make sure to indent it following our conventions.
VS
Translator

WML highlighter for Notepad++

Post by VS »

If someone is interested ...

Due to implementation of custom highlighters this won't do always 100% what was intended, but the great block collapsing feature works!

Unfortunately I haven't found any way how to import/export it conveniently; you must either know a bit of XML to make it work or overwrite the original file (no problem if you didn't create your own highlighters).

So, first option is to replace the original file userDefineLang.xml - it's located in Documents and settings\YourUserName\Application data\Notepad++\ with what I posted here. The posted file has different name!

Second way is copying the part with highlighter settings from posted file to your own, and if you have at least some basic knowledge of XML (or HTML) you will soon recognize the structure - the whole part you're interested in starts with <UserLang name="wesnoth-WML" ext="cfg"> and ends with the next </UserLang>.
Attachments
userDefineLang.vs.po,wml.zip
(3.13 KiB) Downloaded 606 times
Nyxl

Post by Nyxl »

Now that's interesting (I'm using n++ too). Currently, I've associated the .cfg extension to the "MS INI file" highlightings, which emphasizes the [tags] and the #comments. I'll give your filter a try.
Mathew

Post by Mathew »

Very well done. However, I did notice that a few key words were missing.
sound_miss and image_defensive come to mind immediately. Overall this works really quite well, and I am quite pleased with how it came out. This is just another reason to work with n++.
Nyxl

Post by Nyxl »

<UserLang name="wesnoth-WML" ext="cfg" commentLine="#">
<Settings>
<Global caseIgnored="no" />
<TreatAsSymbol comment="no" commentLine="yes" />
<Prefix words1="no" words2="no" words3="yes" words4="no" />
</Settings>
I added the bald'ed attributes to the text, and it allows the emphasizing of comment lines : it does not clash with the other #keywords, since those are defined as keywords. I'm tinkering a bit with the UserLang, adding missing keywords here and there (like #victory_when_enemies_defeated). The rest is a matter of tastes, regarding the colors and styles... :wink:

Thanks again for the contribution, VS, I find it incredibly useful.

(Note : I'll add other possible improvements in this very post whenever I find them. Only WML related stuff, no style, no color.)
VS
Translator

Post by VS »

Maybe we can somehow integrate all these changes into new "release"? I also modified my own version a few times since then.

BTW, WML allows [+tag] syntax, do you miss that, too? I didn't bother to rewrite all these tags with "+" in front of them...
Nyxl

Post by Nyxl »

VS wrote:Maybe we can somehow integrate all these changes into new "release"? I also modified my own version a few times since then.
Mmh, not just yet in my opinion. I'm busy re-ordering the keywords according to their semantics (instruction, left-value names, right-value constants, tags, etc.). And by lexical ascending order, for it's not easy checking the list when the words have been obviously (and quite naturally) added when the need arised. :P
VS wrote:BTW, WML allows [+tag] syntax, do you miss that, too? I didn't bother to rewrite all these tags with "+" in front of them...
I'm content with the [+units] at the moment. I'm more interested in a thorough list of right-value constants (yes, no, on, off, moveto, start, prestart, etc.) which can add to the general readability of the code. But then, having all the +able tags on the lists can't hurt.
Lizard

Post by Lizard »

I modified this one a bit on my own(a.e. holy -> arcan), so my version isn't compatible. I have done an Auto-completion .api for my version.
Attachments
wesnoth-WML.api.txt
The Api! just remove .txt and put into API folder
(4.53 KiB) Downloaded 352 times
userDefineLang.xml.txt
this is my language put it into roaming/n++ ('without .txt')
(14.45 KiB) Downloaded 462 times
VS
Translator

Post by VS »

I just wish npp had some system that could be used for easy distribution of language definitions... because that is the reason I gave up on this. Having to manually merge files is just awkward.
Mica

Re: WML highlighter for Notepad++

Post by Mica »

I have added in quite a few tags, just thought I'd post it up for those that were interested.
Attachments
userDefineLang.zip
(2.13 KiB) Downloaded 396 times
Mica says one who cheats, cheats himself.

You are an Elvish Shyde - Beautiful, natural, and helpful, though sometimes under-appreciated.
Viliam
Translator

Re:

Post by Viliam »

Nyxl wrote:Currently, I've associated the .cfg extension to the "MS INI file"
Makes me curious... would the CFG files work correctly if we renamed them to *.WML? If yes, maybe we could start using the new extension. If no, maybe the program could be changed to accept both CFG and WML extensions. :hmm:
Ken_Oh
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Re:

Post by Ken_Oh »

Viliam wrote:
Nyxl wrote:Currently, I've associated the .cfg extension to the "MS INI file"
Makes me curious... would the CFG files work correctly if we renamed them to *.WML? If yes, maybe we could start using the new extension. If no, maybe the program could be changed to accept both CFG and WML extensions. :hmm:
I don't know too much about file extensions, but, from where I'm sitting, that would make a lot of sense. Now that maps are starting to actually have an extension .map, why not .wml for those files?
AI
Developer

Post by AI »

Though INI format consists of [tags] and keys=, it's pretty much a flat file as you close a section not with a closing tag, but by opening another.

A BBCode highlighter would probably work better...

About the extensions, when you include a directory like {@campaigns/folder/}, it includes all the files ending in .cfg, and automatically included are the files in userdata/data/campaigns and the userdata/data/campaigns/*/_main.cfg files.

However, that's the only real extension dependency that's built in, you can rename most of your files to stuff.wml and include them like {@campaigns/folder/macros/stuff.wml} and they'd work fine.

A patch to allow the .wml extension would be trivial, the question whether the behaviour is wanted.
adamsetzler

Post by adamsetzler »

Tags with [+ break the parser. Any fixes? :augh:

Nevermind. When I added [+trait] to the keyword list, I left out the preceding space!
Exasperation

Post by Exasperation »

You might also want to look here: http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=30411, as I believe the file at the bottom of the first post in that thread is a much more recently updated version of this (notice the posting dates in this thread).
SlowThinker

Post by SlowThinker »

userDefineLang.zip
Some time ago I integrated files of VS and skywalker (Notepad++ Syntax Highlighting) together, the result is attached.
Still the attachment misses some keywords of the Pentarctagon's file (see a link in the previous post) ... (and I am lazy to integrate again)

Edit: another file is here: http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php ... 41#p527441
(it looks it doesn't come from any file that were posted so far)

Edit2:
userDefineLang.7z
I uploaded a new file userDefineLang.7z . It contains more WML-definitions from files that have been posted in the forums, but I never put an effort into their integration. And probably I won't do it.
the file contains these languages:
  • wesnoth-WML : it is a newer version of my file from may 2011 (skywalker+VS, then edited by myself)
  • Wesnoth-WML(Pentarctagon) : just a copy of P's file
  • wesnoth-WML-Lizard : a copy of L's file, but I removed Folder+- and replaced it by my definitions
  • Wesnoth-WML(FallenPhoenix) : a copy of FP's file
Attachments
userDefineLang.7z
from august 2014:
(10.55 KiB) Downloaded 162 times
userDefineLang.zip
from may 2011
(4.21 KiB) Downloaded 279 times
I work on Conquest Minus • I use DFoolWide, Retro Terrain Package and the add-on 'High Contrast Water'
I moved to Nosebane's corner (Doc Paterson's signature); I am spending my time there, so PM me if I don't answer your post in forums