Villages which only serve as terrain

The place to post your WML questions and answers.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
  • Please use [code] BBCode tags in your posts for embedding WML snippets.
  • To keep your code readable so that others can easily help you, make sure to indent it following our conventions.
Horus2

Villages which only serve as terrain

Post by Horus2 »

So, in the editor, we have the village overlay feature to effortlessly convert any terrain into a village with different defense values. And that is neat.
Can this be done in the other direction? What is the most conventional way to make a single multiplayer map where certain villages cannot be captured, and only exist for their defense boni?
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Re: Villages which only serve as terrain

Post by zookeeper »

Can't be done without making a special terrain for it. But frankly, it sounds like a bad idea in the first place. If you have a village then it should function as a village, or else you have to put a big label on it saying "This isn't a normal village even though I made it look exactly like a village", or something similar.

However, don't almost all units have the same defense on village and castle? Perhaps you could use the castle overlay instead, and just use [item] or [terrain_graphics] to put a village image on it. But even so it should obviously have some other visual cue that it's actually not what it looks like.
Bitron
Developer

Post by Bitron »

I guess the ruined villages would be a good choice for that. In ruins you can still defense well, but there is no one that could give you gold.
Horus2

Post by Horus2 »

Yes, the basic idea was a ruined city, where only the intact buildings can be flagged. I was also thinking of recolouring their roof to make them stand out more (which, as far as multiplayer maps go, is an unexploited concept).

Sadly, the castle overlay cannot supersede one for villages. All dwarves, saurians, bats, ogres, plus the heavy infantryman, wolf rider and elvish rider have different defenses in castles and villages, which would sure cause confusion.

I am not terribly attached to the idea, rather was just interested in the possibilities. Thanks for the quick answer.
Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

Post by Celtic_Minstrel »

For the record, I think the fact that a flag doesn't appear when you land on it would be a pretty good clue that it's not a village? Admittedly it's one that doesn't take effect until you land on it, but since it's not a village that means you can still undo the move if you want to.
Author of The Black Cross of Aleron campaign and Default++ era.
Former maintainer of Steelhive.