Tweaks for the game-statistics gathering thing

Discussion among members of the development team.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Eleazar
Retired Terrain Art Director

Tweaks for the game-statistics gathering thing

Post by Eleazar »

This is one of the great, new, unnexpected features that helps make developing wesnoth so interesting. It will be a powerful tool for campaign balancing.

I have a couple suggestions to make it even more useful. I have no idea if they are trivial or not...

1a) Many campaigns have Dialog-only scenarios. Since there is no data to collect, it might be better if the scenario had a tag that could cause the statistics collector to ignore it.
1b) Since many scenarios have long names that run together, it would be nice to be able to specify in the scenario an abbreviation to use.

2) Can games in which debug was activated be ignored as well?

3) On the main page all campaigns are listed in order of uploaded stats. I think it would be easier if all difficutly levels of a campaign were grouped together. That would also make it easier to compare the relative popularity of different difficulty levels.

4) Eventually an explanation of how to interpret the stats and a information on which browsers can display them well.

5) it's been mentioned in IRC that collecting the language and screen resolution would also be useful. however concerns about privacy have been raised.
Feel free to PM me if you start a new terrain oriented thread. It's easy for me to miss them among all the other art threads.
-> What i might be working on
Attempting Lucidity
scott

Post by scott »

1b and 2 sound good to me. I know for a fact that there are big humps in some of the stats pages that were caused by me when debugging. Fortunately they're svn versions so it doesn't mess up the user stats.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
Soliton
Site Administrator

Post by Soliton »

1b) Maybe make an automatic abbreviation by the starting letters of the words in the scenario name? (as that is the common practice anyway, right?)

2) Is already implemented, not sure if with version 1.1.1 though.
"If gameplay requires it, they can be made to live on Venus." -- scott
scott

Post by scott »

Rusty said the svg generation routine takes the data label straight from a database, and the database takes it straight from the name. Someone would have to do some tinkering somewhere.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
rusty
Inactive Developer

stats improvements

Post by rusty »

Hi all,

I didn't know about debug until I saw http://stats.wesnoth.org/index.cgi?W_PL ... SION=1.1.1

It's now filtered out by the client (debug games are simply not written out).

Numbering scenario names has been suggested: Two Brothers does this already: it means I can just sort the names to graph them, and they're clearly unique even if truncated.

Perhaps "non-event" scenarios could be filtered out in the client, by noticing where there's no defeat condition?

Sorted out campaign ordering...

Please report other bugs in bugs.wesnoth.org and assign them to me: I check my bugs most days.

Thanks!
Rusty.
Eleazar

Re: stats improvements

Post by Eleazar »

rusty wrote:Numbering scenario names has been suggested: Two Brothers does this already: it means I can just sort the names to graph them, and they're clearly unique even if truncated.
erm, which name?
the "id" tag,
the "name" tag
or the scenario's file name?
Feel free to PM me if you start a new terrain oriented thread. It's easy for me to miss them among all the other art threads.
Attempting Lucidity
Soliton
Site Administrator

Re: stats improvements

Post by Soliton »

Eleazar wrote:
rusty wrote:Numbering scenario names has been suggested: Two Brothers does this already: it means I can just sort the names to graph them, and they're clearly unique even if truncated.
erm, which name?
the "id" tag,
the "name" tag
or the scenario's file name?
The file name and the id= key.

Btw, the usage of the :droid command should probably be filtered out as well.
"If gameplay requires it, they can be made to live on Venus." -- scott
Eleazar

Post by Eleazar »

one of Rusty's emails wrote:Note that the stats use the scenario's id, not the filename (which Two Brothers also gets right). When Ivanovic says "renaming" the scenarios, he's talking about the filenames and the id= lines, *not* the name= lines which the user actually sees...
So while it's generally a good idea to number your scenario (and map) file names, that won't help the statistics harvester.
Attempting Lucidity