SVG compositing?

Discussion among members of the development team.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Quensul
Art Contributor

SVG compositing?

Post by Quensul »

Has there been any thought / discussion of adding support for rendering SVG images (ideally composited with PNG's or whatnot) for story images or elsewhere? I couldn't find any mention of SVG in wesnoth-dev or the IRC logs, so the answer's likely 'no', but I thought I'd check. (Well, there was an IRC discussion of SVG units back on December 14th 2005, but that's not what I'm asking.).

I ask because I'm rewriting/refactoring Wercator in C++. I'm nearly finished with the map segmenting module, and am about to start on the first rendering module. I'll eventually implement a Gimp plugin (like the old Perl version of Wercator), but I'm tempted to write an SVG renderer first, as the format's a better match for the task at hand. If BfW supports or will support SVG (or a subset thereof), the decision becomes much easier. :-)

In no way am I asking anyone to code this in for me -- I just wanted to know if there are any plans in that direction. I may look into providing the relevant patch, but the likelihood of my having enough time for that in the next year is low.

Thanks,

-Quensul

FYI, a quick Google turned up the following relevant links:

SDL_svg on Sourceforge and a developer's home page. May be Linux only - it's unclear (and I didn't spend long digging into it :-))

Cario demo of loading SVG into SDL
Author of Wercator